Old 12-03-2007, 07:29 PM

Default partition size questions

Folks,

I have come across a problem relating to partitions. I have a multi
boot box with Ubuntu 7.10, Fedora 8 and
Win 2K. There is also a very large unallocated section of disk space.
The two linux partitions are sitting together on an extended partition
and I would like to make each smaller. None of the partition managers
would allow me to shrink the partitions.

In playing with the partitions, I decided to create a new partition in
the unallocated area and copy, one linux version at a time, delete the
current linux partition, create a new smaller one and copy that linux
version back. Once finished, do the other linux version. After
creating the new partition, but before the copy, I tried to boot into
Windows and got the BSOD. I can rebuild, but what happened? Once I
rebuild Windows, I know that grub will no longer work. How should I go
about backing up what I have and then restoring it after the Windows
build? The boot loader is being managed through Ubuntu.

Last thing for now, before someone shoots me for all these newbie
questions, would you mind clearing something up for me. I thought HDx
was for IDE drives while the SDx was for the SCSI drives. I have this
machine I am building where the drive is SATA but it is recognized as my
SD0 drive.

thanks,
Michael

product doctrine and thus protected from disclosure. If the reader
copies and backups thereof. Thank you.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:29 PM
Alan Cox

> creating the new partition, but before the copy, I tried to boot into
> Windows and got the BSOD. I can rebuild, but what happened? Once I
> rebuild Windows, I know that grub will no longer work. How should I go

Did you leave the blank partition labelled as a windows partition or a
Linux one ?

> questions, would you mind clearing something up for me. I thought HDx
> was for IDE drives while the SDx was for the SCSI drives. I have this
> machine I am building where the drive is SATA but it is recognized as my
> SD0 drive.

Historically we used hd[abcdef..] for IDE and sd[...] for SCSI. However
ATAPI is very close to SCSI, and SATA is very similar to SCSI, with SAS
making the distinction even more blurred.

When the old style IDE drivers were converted to use the SATA layer it
was decided to simply treat the lot the same way.

Alan

Old 12-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Steve Lindemann

Michael.Coll-Barth@VerizonWireless.com wrote:

Folks,

I have come across a problem relating to partitions. I have a multi
boot box with Ubuntu 7.10, Fedora 8 and
Win 2K. There is also a very large unallocated section of disk space.

The two linux partitions are sitting together on an extended partition
and I would like to make each smaller. None of the partition managers
would allow me to shrink the partitions.

You don't mention which partition managers you tried. Did you try
booting with a liveCD and running gparted? I'm not a huge fan of GUI
management tools, but I do like gparted. I've had good luck with it on
a number of systems, including windoze... but the filesystem under
change must *not* be mounted or all kinds of grief can ensue. Booting
from the liveCD ensures the hardisk partions you are modifying will not
be mounted. ...and, as always, *backup* before you start!

--
Steve Lindemann __
Network Administrator // ASCII Ribbon Campaign

Old 12-03-2007, 09:18 PM
"Tod Merley"

On Dec 3, 2007 12:29 PM, <Michael.Coll-Barth@verizonwireless.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I have come across a problem relating to partitions. I have a multi
> boot box with Ubuntu 7.10, Fedora 8 and
> Win 2K. There is also a very large unallocated section of disk space.
> The two linux partitions are sitting together on an extended partition
> and I would like to make each smaller. None of the partition managers
> would allow me to shrink the partitions.
>
> In playing with the partitions, I decided to create a new partition in
> the unallocated area and copy, one linux version at a time, delete the
> current linux partition, create a new smaller one and copy that linux
> version back. Once finished, do the other linux version. After
> creating the new partition, but before the copy, I tried to boot into
> Windows and got the BSOD. I can rebuild, but what happened? Once I
> rebuild Windows, I know that grub will no longer work. How should I go
> about backing up what I have and then restoring it after the Windows
> build? The boot loader is being managed through Ubuntu.
>
> Last thing for now, before someone shoots me for all these newbie
> questions, would you mind clearing something up for me. I thought HDx
> was for IDE drives while the SDx was for the SCSI drives. I have this
> machine I am building where the drive is SATA but it is recognized as my
> SD0 drive.
>
> thanks,
> Michael

> The information contained in this message and any attachment may be
> proprietary, confidential, and privileged or subject to the work
> product doctrine and thus protected from disclosure. If the reader
> of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or
> agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended
> If you have received this communication in error, please notify me
> immediately by replying to this message and deleting it and all
> copies and backups thereof. Thank you.

Hi Michael!

You are a very brave man.

This is only a guess but when you add a partition you change the
partition table, which is within your boot loader. It is easy to
forget to do the last write. Also, the Windows or Grub Master Boot
Record may then not point to where the "rest of itself" is on the
disk.

As for the partition managers not being able to shrink the partitions,
obtain the very most recent version of "parted" and run it off of a
flash drive or a reconfigured (containing the new "parted") live CD.
Please remember that partitioning is done with the disk NOT mounted.

You may be able to rebuild your MBR with GRUB. Do a Google search on
"grub thestarman' and have the GRUB manual handy! You can make a copy
of the MBR with "dd".

Good Hunting!

Tod

Old 12-03-2007, 10:38 PM
Karl Larsen

Michael.Coll-Barth@VerizonWireless.com wrote:

Folks,

I have come across a problem relating to partitions. I have a multi
boot box with Ubuntu 7.10, Fedora 8 and
Win 2K. There is also a very large unallocated section of disk space.

The two linux partitions are sitting together on an extended partition
and I would like to make each smaller. None of the partition managers
would allow me to shrink the partitions.

There are some but they cost money.

In playing with the partitions, I decided to create a new partition in
the unallocated area and copy, one linux version at a time, delete the
current linux partition, create a new smaller one and copy that linux
version back. Once finished, do the other linux version. After
creating the new partition, but before the copy, I tried to boot into
Windows and got the BSOD.
I gather you mean the Blue Screen Of Death? You didn't say how you
booted there.

I can rebuild, but what happened? Once I
rebuild Windows, I know that grub will no longer work. How should I go
about backing up what I have and then restoring it after the Windows
build? The boot loader is being managed through Ubuntu.

Last thing for now, before someone shoots me for all these newbie
questions, would you mind clearing something up for me. I thought HDx
was for IDE drives while the SDx was for the SCSI drives. I have this
machine I am building where the drive is SATA but it is recognized as my
SD0 drive.
Since F7 ALL hard drives are /dev/sdX. Alas Ubuntu uses /dev/hdX so it gets confusing :-)

I would first get grub to boot both Linux systems. If your using the
Ubuntu grub I wish you luck. I'm about to delete Ubuntu from this
computer because it takes over the whole thing. And if I try to boot
Ubuntu from a Fedora grub it NEVER works :-(

Then boot Windows and it should work fine because you did nothing to
Windows.

Karl

thanks,
Michael

product doctrine and thus protected from disclosure. If the reader
copies and backups thereof. Thank you.

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User