Old 06-27-2008, 11:23 PM
d_j_w46

Default Firefox problem

I tried to start firefox on the command line,and this is what I get.

[david@reddwarf ~]$ /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/firefox
The program 'firefox' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadName (named color or font does not exist)'.
(Details: serial 738 error_code 15 request_code 45 minor_code 0)

I don't understand what is happening,how do I fix it.

Thanks david

Old 06-27-2008, 11:33 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

d_j_w46 wrote:

I tried to start firefox on the command line,and this is what I get.

[david@reddwarf ~]$ /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/firefox
The program 'firefox' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadName (named color or font does not exist)'.
(Details: serial 738 error_code 15 request_code 45 minor_code 0)

I don't understand what is happening,how do I fix it.

Thanks david

The Firefox script in /usr/bin sets some stuff up for the Firefox
binary. This may be your problem. Also, by command line, do you meen
in a X terminal, or a text login? (CLI)

Mikkel

Old 06-28-2008, 12:44 AM

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
The Firefox script in /usr/bin sets some stuff up for the Firefox
binary. This may be your problem.

most true.

Also, by command line, do you meen in
a X terminal, or a text login? (CLI)

also, what happens if you just use 'firefox' from an x-term?

--

tc,hago.

.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:53 AM
d_j_w46

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 09:33:47 Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> d_j_w46 wrote:
> > I tried to start firefox on the command line,and this is what I get.
> >
> > [david@reddwarf ~]$ /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/firefox
> > The program 'firefox' received an X Window System error.
> > This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> > The error was 'BadName (named color or font does not exist)'.
> > (Details: serial 738 error_code 15 request_code 45 minor_code 0)
> > (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
> > that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
> > To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
> > option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
> > backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
> > function.)
> >
> > I don't understand what is happening,how do I fix it.
> >
> > Thanks david
>
> The Firefox script in /usr/bin sets some stuff up for the Firefox
> binary. This may be your problem. Also, by command line, do you meen
> in a X terminal, or a text login? (CLI)
>
> Mikkel

I'm using the bash shell and the script in /usr/bin is over my head

david

Old 06-28-2008, 11:34 PM
d_j_w46

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 10:44:57 g wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> > The Firefox script in /usr/bin sets some stuff up for the Firefox
> > binary. This may be your problem.
>
> most true.
>
> > Also, by command line, do you meen in
> > a X terminal, or a text login? (CLI)
>
> also, what happens if you just use 'firefox' from an x-term?
>

> --
>
> tc,hago.

> .
>
> in a free world without fences, who needs gates.

Using just 'firefox' only gives the same error.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 16:53 +1000, d_j_w46 wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 09:33:47 Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> > d_j_w46 wrote:
> > > I tried to start firefox on the command line,and this is what I get.
> > >
> > > [david@reddwarf ~]$ /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/firefox
> > > The program 'firefox' received an X Window System error.
> > > This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> > > The error was 'BadName (named color or font does not exist)'.
> > > (Details: serial 738 error_code 15 request_code 45 minor_code 0)
> > > (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
> > > that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
> > > To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
> > > option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
> > > backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
> > > function.)
> > >
> > > I don't understand what is happening,how do I fix it.
> > >
> > > Thanks david
> >
> > The Firefox script in /usr/bin sets some stuff up for the Firefox
> > binary. This may be your problem. Also, by command line, do you meen
> > in a X terminal, or a text login? (CLI)
> >
> > Mikkel
>
> I'm using the bash shell and the script in /usr/bin is over my head
----
start it up by executing /usr/bin/firefox and
not /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/firefox

Craig

Old 06-29-2008, 12:23 AM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"