Old 06-27-2008, 05:35 PM

Default RAID1 in F9

Hello,
I'd like to create a RAID1 with 2 500GB HD I got.
Can anyone point me to a good step by step howto to do this with Fedora 9?
Thanks,
EJ

Old 06-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Zlatko

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 17:35 +0000, redhatdude@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Hello,
> I'd like to create a RAID1 with 2 500GB HD I got.
> Can anyone point me to a good step by step howto to do this with Fedora 9?
> Thanks,
> EJ

Example:

fdisk /dev/sda

here you can create partitions for the first disk, assuming that your
first disk is sda. For all partitions, except for the swap type, choose
raid autodetect type (fd).

fdisk /dev/sdb

do the same thing as for /dev/sda

then do this:

mdadm --create /dev/md0 -l 1 -n 2 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1
mdadm --create /dev/md1 -l 1 -n 2 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2

and so on, for all partitions that are raid autodetect type.

After creating md devices, you must format them:

mkfs.ext3 -L /some_label /dev/md0

and so on, for all of md devices you created. Don't forget to mkswap all
swap partitions.

Use this as your guide:

man mount
man fdisk
man mdadm (or mdadm --help)

Old 06-27-2008, 06:15 PM

From: Zlatko <zlatko.trescec@kc.htnet.hr>

> On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 17:35 +0000, redhatdude@bellsouth.net wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I'd like to create a RAID1 with 2 500GB HD I got.
> > Can anyone point me to a good step by step howto to do this with Fedora 9?
> > Thanks,
> > EJ
> >

> Example:
>
> fdisk /dev/sda
>
> here you can create partitions for the first disk, assuming that your
> first disk is sda. For all partitions, except for the swap type, choose
> raid autodetect type (fd).
>
> fdisk /dev/sdb
>
> do the same thing as for /dev/sda
>
> then do this:
>
> mdadm --create /dev/md0 -l 1 -n 2 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1
> mdadm --create /dev/md1 -l 1 -n 2 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2
>
> and so on, for all partitions that are raid autodetect type.
>
> After creating md devices, you must format them:
>
> mkfs.ext3 -L /some_label /dev/md0
>
> and so on, for all of md devices you created. Don't forget to mkswap all
> swap partitions.
>

> Use this as your guide:
>
> man mount
> man fdisk
> man mdadm (or mdadm --help)

Thanks for the help Zlatko.
Unfortunately, my knowledge of linux is limited to networking, email and apache services. I've been using linux for years but never had to do something like this.
I don't know how to format the disk with fdisk and I for sure don't know how to mkswap all
swap partitions.
I'd appreciate more elaborate instructions.
EJ

Old 06-27-2008, 06:23 PM
"Arthur Pemberton"

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 12:35 PM, <redhatdude@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'd like to create a RAID1 with 2 500GB HD I got.
> Can anyone point me to a good step by step howto to do this with Fedora 9?
> Thanks,
> EJ

Have you considered doing a fresh install and using the GUI partition
create to create the RAID? It isn't suepr intuitive, but I was able to
figure it out.

1. Make a /boot partition on the primary drive
2. Use the remaining space on that drive as a raid partion
3. Make a raid partition of equal size on the secondary drive
4. Make a raid array
5. Create your ext3 partitions on the new virtual drive

Not the exact steps, just what I remember, I don't have the UI infront
me right now, sorry
( www.pembo13.com )

Old 06-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Zlatko

Try using this script as a guide to suite your needs...

Look at attachment...

Feel free to ask if something goes wrong...

Old 06-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Zlatko

... at the end of script just write this down to complete the script...

-------
else
echo "Terminating the process of creating partitions"
fi
-------

I forgot to include those three lines, while I was translating the
script from Croatian to English.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 17:35:10 +0000,
redhatdude@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Hello,
> I'd like to create a RAID1 with 2 500GB HD I got.
> Can anyone point me to a good step by step howto to do this with Fedora 9?
> Thanks,
> EJ

If you are going to be doing this as a fresh install, you get choose to
set up a custom layout during the install process. If you do that you
first create the partitions you want and then you create raid arrays
matching up the various partitions. You probably want the exact same
partition layout on both disks. If you like LVM use about 100 MB for a
partition at the beginning of both drives that will be used for /boot and
the remainder of each disk for a partition that will be used for LVM.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:44 PM

Is it possible to set two hard drives as a raid for storage that is not part of the main fedora installation?
I'm only interested in creating a shared volume on the network for a couple of people to store files.
If so, what would be the correct approach?
Thanks guys,
EJ

Old 06-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Zlatko

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 19:44 +0000, redhatdude@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Is it possible to set two hard drives as a raid for storage that is not part of the main fedora installation?
> I'm only interested in creating a shared volume on the network for a couple of people to store files.
> If so, what would be the correct approach?
> Thanks guys,
> EJ

Of course... you only have to mount those disks on some directory in
order to use it. Just think of it as additional disks, as if you would
plugged in USB disk or USB stick.
Raid configuration of those disks are part of fedora
installation/configuration the moment you mount it, and you can see if
RAID is working either through `cat /proc/mdstat` or through `mdadm
--misc --detail /dev/md?`.
You can mount it through /etc/fstab, or manually each time computer
starts.