Old 06-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Herbert Carl Meyer

Default GRUB menu video mode

I am using a flat screen TV for a monitor that is VERY picky about video
modes. I have bulled through installation with various hacks, and have X
working, but now I cannot sync to the GRUB menu screen to make boot
choices.
I am looking for info on how to set video mode that GRUB uses for the
menu, either as a menu option or compiled in.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:21 AM

Herbert Carl Meyer wrote:

I am looking for info on how to set video mode that GRUB uses for the
menu, either as a menu option or compiled in.

have you tried 'vga=' in append line?

--

tc,hago.

.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:29 AM

g wrote:

have you tried 'vga=' in append line?

oops. that should be 'vga=' in _kernel_ line.

--

tc,hago.

.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:40 AM
Konstantin Svist

g wrote:

g wrote:

have you tried 'vga=' in append line?

oops. that should be 'vga=' in _kernel_ line.

I think he wants the GRUB menu to appear in a different resolution.
AFAIK, GRUB uses the BIOS resolution. Not sure if it's changeable.

Old 06-28-2008, 12:44 AM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

g wrote:

Herbert Carl Meyer wrote:

I am looking for info on how to set video mode that GRUB uses for the
menu, either as a menu option or compiled in.

have you tried 'vga=' in append line?

I thought that only affected booting the kernel associated with the
append line, and not the Grub menu.

Mikkel

Old 06-28-2008, 01:05 AM

Konstantin Svist wrote:
I think he wants the GRUB menu to appear in a different resolution.
AFAIK, GRUB uses the BIOS resolution. Not sure if it's changeable.

konstantin & mikkel,

both correct, i should have read post 4 times instead of just 3.

i am new to grub and there is very minimal 'man' or 'info' on grub. with
00.0 for grub.conf/menu.lst.

i would think that bios would set to minimal screen size as i have seen on
a couple of flat screens. maybe not in his case/system.

i have 'hiddenmenu' in menu.lst and get a plain text menu, and do not get a
'gui' menu. what would happen if 'vga=' was placed in 'main body' of
grub.conf/menu.lst, before 'title' lines?

--

tc,hago.

.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:58 AM

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> I thought that only affected booting the kernel associated with the
> append line, and not the Grub menu.

well, i now have more understanding about grub than i had gained in my last
post, and maybe a little more than a few viewers of this thread, and a lot
more than i had a few months back when i pulled manual and 'info grub' to
learn how to use grub.

i did confirm is my feelings about grub. it stinks.

this is not to brag, just stating a fact, as there have not been any
corrections to my posts.

so, to correct and clarify, here goes;

> i have 'hiddenmenu' in menu.lst and get a plain text menu, and do not get a
> 'gui' menu. what would happen if 'vga=' was placed in 'main body' of
> grub.conf/menu.lst, before 'title' lines?

'hiddenmenu' is to do just that, hide menu and boot default. without
'hiddenmenu', i get a text menu in low resolution.

'hiddenmenu' is on /dev/sda0 '/boot/grub/grub.conf', but i do not boot from
this partition. i boot with /dev/sda, and i have grub read /dev/sdc0
'/boot/grub/menu.lst' and system is on /dev/sdc5. 'hiddenmenu' is not in
/dev/sdc0 '/boot/grub/menu.lst'. [why link if you do not have to?]

'vga=' can not be used to specify screen resolution for menu. seems nothing
can. 'vga=' can be used as 'vga=ext' to spec 'external' at least for pre
grub2, that is, according to grub manual. i did not go back to gnu.org to see
what grub2 is supposed to be able to do.

i have 'vga=794' in 'kernel' line and i do get a hi res boot output of 48 or
52 lines. i have not bothered to count then.

i did try 'vga=794' in body, but no change in resolution of boot menu.

so, herbert, i do not know what to suggest, other than if you can make a
change some how to bios for screen res at boot, do it. i did look thru all
of files that are on my system, but i could not find an answer. your system
may be different.

in closing, i will repeat, grub stinks and in addition, authors of grub
manual suck.

--

tc,hago.

.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:12 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Herbert Carl Meyer wrote:

I am using a flat screen TV for a monitor that is VERY picky about video
modes. I have bulled through installation with various hacks, and have X
working, but now I cannot sync to the GRUB menu screen to make boot
choices.
I am looking for info on how to set video mode that GRUB uses for the
menu, either as a menu option or compiled in.

One more thought - does the usual BIOS stuff show up properly? If
so, as a temporary fix, you can turn off the splash image, and run
Grub in the text mode. Just comment out the splash= line in
/boot/grub/grub.conf and you should be able to select the system you
want to boot.

Mikkel

Old 06-28-2008, 07:30 PM

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

One more thought - does the usual BIOS stuff show up properly?

konstantin mentioned 'bios resolution' and your are saying 'bios stuff'.

not sure what konstantin means by 'bios resolution', tho i would guess
'graphics chip startup default'.

i take it you mean 'bios stuff' as in what is displayed during 'cmos boot rom'
start up.

box i am using, a 2 year old, does not have any setup for video in bios.
is there something that is now in newer cmos bios settings?

If so, as
a temporary fix, you can turn off the splash image, and run Grub in the
text mode. Just comment out the splash= line in /boot/grub/grub.conf and
you should be able to select the system you want to boot.

good point about splash. i had copied my 'menu.lst' and 'grub.conf' to my
desktop in this system to add to my last post, but, after spending 5 hrs of
ancestry searching, i forget to add 2 files to post.

'grub.conf' is from f8 install, 'menu.lst' is from conversion mandriva made
from 'lilo.conf' file, along with c&p from a different f8 install on this box.
some some editing was done, but i did not have 'splash=' in installed file.

note that 'menu.lst' does not have 'vga=794' in body, as i copied file before
i checked for any change. which there was not.

what would be nice if one could put a 'screen config preamble' in a file
that is going to be displayed. then again...

++++
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
# root (hd0,0)
# kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda1
# initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=LABEL=hd00 rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img
++++

++++
### fn= menu.lst
## v= .2008.0531.1756
## sys= fedora 8
#
#boot=/dev/sda
timeout 10
default 1
## fedora 8
title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8) sd0,0
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=LABEL=sd00
acpi=force vga=794
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img
##
title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8) sd2,5
root (hd2,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=LABEL=sd25
acpi=force vga=794
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8-2.img
## mandriva 2k8.0
title mandriva (2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv) hd2,3
kernel (hd2,0)/vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv
BOOT_IMAGE=2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv_hdc3 root=/dev/hdc3
resume=/dev/hdc2 acpi=force vga=794
initrd (hd2,0)/initrd-2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv.img
#
title mandriva (2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv) hd2,3 net off
kernel (hd2,0)/vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv
BOOT_IMAGE=2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv_hdc3 root=/dev/hdc3
resume=/dev/hdc2 acpi=force vga=794 init 2
initrd (hd2,0)/initrd-2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv.img
#
title failsafe mandriva (2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv) hd2,3
kernel (hd2,0)/vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv
BOOT_IMAGE=2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv_hdc3 root=/dev/hdc3
acpi=force failsafe vga=794

Old 06-29-2008, 03:01 AM
Herbert Carl Meyer

Removing the splash= produces a pure text menu that the TV displays
properly. Thank you, Mikkel. TV's, even modern flat screens, make lousy
computer monitors. The basic purpose of this system is a DVR.

Jeremy K added the splash to grub to improve it, and as an advertising
vector. Side effect was my problem, which is fixable.

As far as grub sucking, it was written for a purpose by somebody else.
If you think it sucks, write something better. If you can't write, shut
up, and go away.

Excuse me, rude people make me rude. I am very good at being rude, you
should try me in person. Bring a helmet, and some bandages.

Carl