Old 06-27-2008, 01:16 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Default slmodem and kmod-slmodem

François Patte wrote:

Bonjour,

I installed slmodem package in order to try to have my laptop modem
working.

While slmodem is launched, it suggest that I have to install
kmod-slmodem but this seems imossible with last f8 kernel: missing
dependency: kernel 2.6.23.15-137.fc8 is required but not found....

Is slmodem deprecated now? If yes whet is the new package?

You have to install the kmod-slmodem that matches the installed
kernel. You should have a matching module for each kernel you have
installed. You end up having to install a new kmod-slmodem each time
you install a new kernel.

Mikkel

Old 06-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 08:16 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> François Patte wrote:
> > Bonjour,
> >
> > I installed slmodem package in order to try to have my laptop modem
> > working.
> >
> > While slmodem is launched, it suggest that I have to install
> > kmod-slmodem but this seems imossible with last f8 kernel: missing
> > dependency: kernel 2.6.23.15-137.fc8 is required but not found....
> >
> > Is slmodem deprecated now? If yes whet is the new package?
> >
> You have to install the kmod-slmodem that matches the installed
> kernel. You should have a matching module for each kernel you have
> installed. You end up having to install a new kmod-slmodem each time
> you install a new kernel.

Look for slmodem-alsa. It works through the ALSA drivers, completely in
user space, so there is no need for a kernel module.

I haven't used it in a few months, but it used to work just fine for me.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu