Old 12-03-2007, 05:53 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

Default Grub clarification

I am trying to install F8 onto my old system and having
trouble getting grub to find the drive. Here is the story.

I have removed all drives except the one drive I am attempting
to install F8 on.

I was able to get the F8-Live to work but apparently I must
be doing something wrong when it comes to custom
partitioning screen.

I defined my partitions as:

/dev/sda1 /boot 75MB
/dev/sda2 / 13GB
/dev/sda3 swap 1GB

I committed the partitions, but when it comes to the grub
configuration screen, it shows:

[o] The GRUB boot loader will be installed on /dev/sda

Default Label Device
x fedora /dev/sda2

Taking the defaults w/o any changes, I proceed and completed
the installation.

On reboot, GRUB fails to find the drive.

Am I doing something wrong?

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:49 PM
Gordon Messmer

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

Taking the defaults w/o any changes, I proceed and completed
the installation.

On reboot, GRUB fails to find the drive.

Before you rebooted, you should have been able to switch to a shell to
examine the installed system. If you can mount that drive, you should.
Otherwise, get to the shell to check the contents of
/boot/grub/device.map. What's in there?

What's the full text of grub's error?