Old 06-27-2008, 05:14 AM
"Parshwa Murdia"

Default Regarding the keylogger in the linux fedora systems

hi,

i am having a system with the linux fedora core installed in it. could anyone tell about the free keyloggers used in the linux fedora core systems and the proper installtion of the same, so that all the keystrokes can be viewed with all the details.

thanks
parshwa

Old 06-27-2008, 08:26 AM
David Timms

Parshwa Murdia wrote:

hi,

i am having a system with the linux fedora core installed in it. could
anyone tell about the free keyloggers used in the linux fedora core systems
and the proper installtion of the same, so that all the keystrokes can be
viewed with all the details.
Would it be useful to simply view .bash_history, so that you can see the
commands that you had made ?

If not, it sounds like you are asking how to hack a system via a
keylogger - that wouldn't be appropriate discussion content for this list.

DaveT.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 18:26:27 +1000,
David Timms <dtimms@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Parshwa Murdia wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> i am having a system with the linux fedora core installed in it. could
>> anyone tell about the free keyloggers used in the linux fedora core systems
>> and the proper installtion of the same, so that all the keystrokes can be
>> viewed with all the details.
> Would it be useful to simply view .bash_history, so that you can see the
> commands that you had made ?
>
> If not, it sounds like you are asking how to hack a system via a
> keylogger - that wouldn't be appropriate discussion content for this
> list.

Why not? As long as he is asking for Fedora specific support it would seem
to be on topic.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Gilboa Davara

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 10:05 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 18:26:27 +1000,
> David Timms <dtimms@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> > Parshwa Murdia wrote:
> >> hi,
> >>
> >> i am having a system with the linux fedora core installed in it. could
> >> anyone tell about the free keyloggers used in the linux fedora core systems
> >> and the proper installtion of the same, so that all the keystrokes can be
> >> viewed with all the details.
> > Would it be useful to simply view .bash_history, so that you can see the
> > commands that you had made ?
> >
> > If not, it sounds like you are asking how to hack a system via a
> > keylogger - that wouldn't be appropriate discussion content for this
> > list.
>
> Why not? As long as he is asking for Fedora specific support it would seem
> to be on topic.

I be to differ.
A. I doubt that this ML was designed to support illegal activities -
on-topic or not.
B. IANAL (and unfamiliar with the U.S. "aiding and abating" clews) but
I'd assume the helping someone commit illegal actions might land you in
very hot water. (And to some extents, land the ML operator in the same
hot water)

Never the less, if the OP's intents are legit (E.g. defensive in
nature), I believe if should have stated it in his post.

- Gilboa

Old 06-27-2008, 05:14 PM
"max bianco"

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 18:26:27 +1000,
> David Timms <dtimms@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>> Parshwa Murdia wrote:
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> i am having a system with the linux fedora core installed in it. could
>>> anyone tell about the free keyloggers used in the linux fedora core systems
>>> and the proper installtion of the same, so that all the keystrokes can be
>>> viewed with all the details.
>> Would it be useful to simply view .bash_history, so that you can see the
>> commands that you had made ?
>>
>> If not, it sounds like you are asking how to hack a system via a
>> keylogger - that wouldn't be appropriate discussion content for this
>> list.
>
> Why not? As long as he is asking for Fedora specific support it would seem
> to be on topic.

Its a bad idea to install something like that on your machine anyway.
An attacker will probably know of all such common tools floating
around, like a prepackaged rpm, and check for their existence, they
find it, you save them the trouble of installing one, they spend their
time copying the log you've so conveniently assembled for them. Your
concerned about security and your going to trust someone else's
prepackaged keylogger? Better just restrict what the machine can
do....there is a tool to help with this but you know I just can't
remember the name.

--
Its a rare that you can trust a beer that comes with a twist off cap
to taste like anything worthy of the title

Old 06-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Kevin Martin

<snip>

Its a bad idea to install something like that on your machine anyway.
An attacker will probably know of all such common tools floating
around, like a prepackaged rpm, and check for their existence, they
find it, you save them the trouble of installing one, they spend their
time copying the log you've so conveniently assembled for them. Your
concerned about security and your going to trust someone else's
prepackaged keylogger? Better just restrict what the machine can
do....there is a tool to help with this but you know I just can't
remember the name.

Maybe he's a parent trying to see what his kid(s) are really doing on
the internet?

Other more serious trust/discipline issues involved here, I know, but
still, this might be what's going on.

Kevin

Old 06-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Gilboa Davara

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 12:21 -0500, Kevin Martin wrote:
> <snip>
> > Its a bad idea to install something like that on your machine anyway.
> > An attacker will probably know of all such common tools floating
> > around, like a prepackaged rpm, and check for their existence, they
> > find it, you save them the trouble of installing one, they spend their
> > time copying the log you've so conveniently assembled for them. Your
> > concerned about security and your going to trust someone else's
> > prepackaged keylogger? Better just restrict what the machine can
> > do....there is a tool to help with this but you know I just can't
> > remember the name.
> >

> Maybe he's a parent trying to see what his kid(s) are really doing on
> the internet?
>
> Other more serious trust/discipline issues involved here, I know, but
> still, this might be what's going on.
>
> Kevin

... Using a key logger?!?!?!?
Wouldn't it be far easier to look at the Firefox/etc cache?

- Gilboa

Old 06-27-2008, 09:51 PM

Gilboa Davara wrote:

... Using a key logger?!?!?!?
Wouldn't it be far easier to look at the Firefox/etc cache?

if he only wanted to know history of firefox use.

parshwa,

for what ever reason you wish to use a keylogger, i do not know.

if it were something that i needed, i would log google-linux and search
for what is available.

oops. shame on me. i just told you a way to find something that you might
wish to use for illegal purposes. ;o)

--

tc,hago.

.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:19 AM
Andrew Kelly

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 22:04 +0300, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 12:21 -0500, Kevin Martin wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > Its a bad idea to install something like that on your machine anyway.
> > > An attacker will probably know of all such common tools floating
> > > around, like a prepackaged rpm, and check for their existence, they
> > > find it, you save them the trouble of installing one, they spend their
> > > time copying the log you've so conveniently assembled for them. Your
> > > concerned about security and your going to trust someone else's
> > > prepackaged keylogger? Better just restrict what the machine can
> > > do....there is a tool to help with this but you know I just can't
> > > remember the name.
> > >

> > Maybe he's a parent trying to see what his kid(s) are really doing on
> > the internet?
> >
> > Other more serious trust/discipline issues involved here, I know, but
> > still, this might be what's going on.
> >
> > Kevin
> >

> ... Using a key logger?!?!?!?
> Wouldn't it be far easier to look at the Firefox/etc cache?
>
> - Gilboa

What would a browser cache tell you about shell commands?

Old 06-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Frank Murphy