Old 06-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Kevin Martin

Default Regarding the keylogger in the linux fedora systems

Frank Murphy wrote:

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 10:19 +0200, Andrew Kelly wrote:

Would not a simple: script -a some.log
do the trick re terminal without compromising pw(s)
Have it launched when a console is opened?

Frank

The individual may also want to log IRC, IM, etc. Even "messaging" in
online games might want to be logged...depends on how crafty the
kids/spouse/whoever are.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Robin Laing

Kevin Martin wrote:

Maybe he's a parent trying to see what his kid(s) are really doing on
the internet?

Other more serious trust/discipline issues involved here, I know, but
still, this might be what's going on.

Kevin

If the parent is that concerned, move the computer to a common room.
Control access to times that the parents are home.

Learn to talk to your kids and explain the consequences of doing the
wrong thing.

FWIW, my kids have their Firefox configured to delete the cache and
cookies on closing.

If they are a concerned parent about what kids are doing, then it would
be easier to look at the data over the network port than a key logger as
that would display sites and most of the data that is sent if it is
captured.

--
Robin Laing

Old 07-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Kevin Martin

Robin Laing wrote:

Kevin Martin wrote:

Maybe he's a parent trying to see what his kid(s) are really doing on
the internet?

Other more serious trust/discipline issues involved here, I know, but
still, this might be what's going on.

Kevin

If the parent is that concerned, move the computer to a common room.
Control access to times that the parents are home.

Learn to talk to your kids and explain the consequences of doing the
wrong thing.

FWIW, my kids have their Firefox configured to delete the cache and
cookies on closing.

If they are a concerned parent about what kids are doing, then it
would be easier to look at the data over the network port than a key
logger as that would display sites and most of the data that is sent
if it is captured.

And I agree 100% with what you're saying except:

It's not always as easy as that to control access unless you take away
the keyboard, lock the computer, etc. and

the last statement. Data over the network port won't be caught if it's
encrypted and, while you won't capture the other side of a conversation,
at least a keylogger will capture your kids side of it. The parent can
probably make some deductions about the conversation at that point.

I'm all for trust and "teaching right and wrong" but kids will be kids
and, if it's gotten to the point where the parent is having to keylog
their kids conversations (or feels like they do) then those concepts
have been sidetracked somehow.

Kevin