Old 06-27-2008, 04:41 AM
"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"

Default f9 and firefox-3 emacs keybindings

It seems that with the change to firefox-3 on f9 I lost my emacs
keybindings. Firefox is back to using arrow keys (or soemsuch) for
motion commands. C-a no longer takes me to the beginning of the
line, C-b no longer takes me back one char, etc. This sucks pretty
badly. Google only finds the old ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file method for
requesting sane keybindisngs. Is there a way to do this in firefox-3
or must I upgrade to firefox-2???

-wolfgang

Old 06-27-2008, 04:53 AM
"Reid Rivenburgh"

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 10:41 PM, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht
<wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200806@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems that with the change to firefox-3 on f9 I lost my emacs
> keybindings. Firefox is back to using arrow keys (or soemsuch) for
> motion commands. C-a no longer takes me to the beginning of the
> line, C-b no longer takes me back one char, etc. This sucks pretty
> badly. Google only finds the old ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file method for
> requesting sane keybindisngs. Is there a way to do this in firefox-3
> or must I upgrade to firefox-2???

It may not be the approach you'd like, but there is an emacs
keybindings extension called firemacs here:

http://www.mew.org/~kazu/proj/firemacs/

Maybe that'll do what you want?

reid

Old 06-27-2008, 05:30 AM
"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"

"Reid Rivenburgh" <reidr@pobox.com> writes:
> http://www.mew.org/~kazu/proj/firemacs/

Thanks! That looks promising. For some reason I can't get it to use
the new keybindings. In fact, I can't figure out how to get to the
first configuration menu pictures on the above web page. (I can get
to a one-tab configuration page via
Tools->Add-ons->firemacs->Preferences, but I suspect the multi-tabbed
configurtation menu might have some enable flag I need to toggle.)

-wolfgang

Old 06-27-2008, 08:38 AM
John Austin

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 21:41 -0700, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> It seems that with the change to firefox-3 on f9 I lost my emacs
> keybindings. Firefox is back to using arrow keys (or soemsuch) for
> motion commands. C-a no longer takes me to the beginning of the
> line, C-b no longer takes me back one char, etc. This sucks pretty
> badly. Google only finds the old ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file method for
> requesting sane keybindisngs. Is there a way to do this in firefox-3
> or must I upgrade to firefox-2???
>
> -wolfgang
> --
> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/

Hi

Mine still works OK on F9 FF3

I assumed that suggestion from Steven Orr in 2005 was still doing the
job for me - maybe its something else ??!!

tarifa ~ 896# cat .gtkrc
include "/usr/share/themes/Emacs/gtk-2.0-key/gtkrc"
tarifa ~ 897# cat .gtkrc-2.0
include "/usr/share/themes/Emacs/gtk-2.0-key/gtkrc"

cat /usr/share/themes/Emacs/gtk-2.0-key/gtkrc

bind "<ctrl>u" {
"move-cursor" (paragraph-ends, -1, 0)
"delete-from-cursor" (paragraph-ends, 1)
}
bind "<ctrl>e" { "move-cursor" (paragraph-ends, 1, 0) }

John