Old 06-27-2008, 01:37 AM
JUSTIN TAYLOR

Default Upgrade from Fedora 7 to 9, no GUI

I tested Fedora 9 on my desktop using a Live disk and it worked fine.* I downloaded the full set of CD's and performed the upgrade, but now I do not have my GUI desktop.* It boots in text mode.

Any ideas where to start looking?

Old 06-27-2008, 01:55 AM
Sam Varshavchik

JUSTIN TAYLOR writes:

I tested Fedora 9 on my desktop using a Live disk and it worked fine.* I
downloaded the full set of CD's and performed the upgrade, but now I do
not have my GUI desktop.* It boots in text mode.

Any ideas where to start looking?

/etc/inittab.

If you have /etc/inittab.rpmnew, rename it to /etc/inittab. In all cases,
change the "initdefault" entry to 5.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:56 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

JUSTIN TAYLOR wrote:
I tested Fedora 9 on my desktop using a Live disk and it worked fine. I
downloaded the full set of CD's and performed the upgrade, but now I do
not have my GUI desktop. It boots in text mode.

Any ideas where to start looking?

Your log files: /var/log/messages
/var/log/dmesg
/var/log/Xorg.0.log

You haven't given us a lot to go on here. What video subsystem? Are
the right drivers installed? 3rd party or Fedora supplied?

F9 is using 2.6.25 kernels and some drivers have problems with that (too
bleeding edge for them). Various problems with 2.6.25 have been
reported with both the nvidia and fglrx 3rd party drivers. Both have
OSS counterparts that may run (with lack of accelerated features) until
the bleeding edge problems get solved.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Old 06-28-2008, 01:15 AM
JUSTIN TAYLOR

I tried renaming /etc/inittab.rpmnew to /etc/inittab but that did not work.

The last three lines in /var/log/Xorg.0.log are:
(EE) No devices detected.
Fatal server error:
no screens found

Note: forwarded message attached.--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com

Old 06-28-2008, 01:19 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

JUSTIN TAYLOR wrote:

I tried renaming /etc/inittab.rpmnew to /etc/inittab but that did not work.

The last three lines in /var/log/Xorg.0.log are:
(EE) No devices detected.
Fatal server error:
no screens found

Your X server looks like its configured wrong and isn't starting up.
So, your system remains at one of the text logins. You need to
determine what's wrong with your X server. At this point, its probably
best to play with the "startx" command while you are logged in as
yourself (not root) so you can view the errors on your console when it
fails. I suspect that the actual failure happens much earlier in your
Xorg.0.log file.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:28 AM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 18:15 -0700, JUSTIN TAYLOR wrote:
> I tried renaming /etc/inittab.rpmnew to /etc/inittab but that did not
> work.
>
> The last three lines in /var/log/Xorg.0.log are:
> (EE) No devices detected.
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found

You still haven't said anything about your video hardware, as requested
by Kevin. This makes it difficult to form an opinion.

You could try removing (or renaming) /etc/X11/xorg.conf and rebooting.

> Note: forwarded message attached.

Why?

poc

Old 06-28-2008, 01:31 AM

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

Why?

he like to repeat himself?

--

tc,hago.

.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:34 AM
stan

JUSTIN TAYLOR wrote:
I tried renaming /etc/inittab.rpmnew to /etc/inittab but that did not
work.

The last three lines in /var/log/Xorg.0.log are:
(EE) No devices detected.
Fatal server error:
no screens found

This is from another thread currently on the list.
Subject Re: F9/KDE4: Can't access screen resolution changes after
software install

Author John Munn
To get your x settings back you can shut down x with "telinit 3", then
log in as root at the command line (not an xterm). Next you run "Xorg
--configure" which will generate a new xorg.conf file in the current
directory which you must copy to "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" (see "man
Xorg"). Finally restart x by "telinit 5".

You might try the above advice to see if manually running the X
configuration will help. Is there something exotic about your
hardware? It is rare for it not to be detected at all. The more common
case when there is a problem is to have bad resolution.

From the command line, if you run dmesg | less what does it show
during video card detection. If you are getting to the command line in
a console, it is detecting some kind of video setup. There would be a
blank screen if it wasn't. Are there errors during detection?

Old 06-28-2008, 02:56 AM
Claude Jones

On Fri June 27 2008, JUSTIN TAYLOR wrote:
> I tried renaming /etc/inittab.rpmnew to /etc/inittab but that did not work.
>
> The last three lines in /var/log/Xorg.0.log are:
> (EE) No devices detected.
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found

try this as root:
mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf xorg.conf.f8
then reboot
you can always rename it back if it doesn't fix it

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA

Old 06-28-2008, 08:16 AM
Joe Mild

Hi,

rename /etc/X11/xorg.conf and run system-config-display. Which graphic
card do u have?

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 18:15 -0700, JUSTIN TAYLOR wrote:
> I tried renaming /etc/inittab.rpmnew to /etc/inittab but that did not
> work.
>
> The last three lines in /var/log/Xorg.0.log are:
> (EE) No devices detected.
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found

cu Joe