Old 06-26-2008, 06:47 PM
"d das"

Default intel3945 WLAN and Siemens ADSL Modem

Hello Friends

I have one 'Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
(rev 02)' card (quoted from `lspci`) in my Lenovo laptop. And my
Siemens ADSL modem has a Wireless network facility. But, though I set
the network up according to the modem manual, I am not being able to
get the wlan0 up.

'service network start' is giving me a message like this:
<<
Bringing up interface wlan0: Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device

Determining IP information for wlan0...SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device
failed.

And 'dmesg' is telling:
<<
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:03:00.0[A] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
iwl3945: Radio disabled by HW RF Kill switch

My question is, is some problem there in the wlan driver or I am
making some stupid mistake in setting up the wireless? See, I am
absolutely ignorant about both wireless and network, and so, please
make your reply as less cryptic as possible.

--
das
ddts.randomink.org

Old 06-26-2008, 07:26 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

d das wrote:

[...]

From the message, it looks like the hardware switch that kills the
wireless NIC is turned off. If this is a laptop, check the manual or
look for a little LED with a switch next to it.

Mikkel

Old 06-26-2008, 08:38 PM
M A Young

I have one 'Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
(rev 02)' card (quoted from `lspci`) in my Lenovo laptop. And my
Siemens ADSL modem has a Wireless network facility. But, though I set
the network up according to the modem manual, I am not being able to
get the wlan0 up.

'service network start' is giving me a message like this:
<<
Bringing up interface wlan0: Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device

Do you have the iwl3945-firmware package installed?

Michael Young

Old 06-27-2008, 02:38 AM
"d das"

Thanks dear Young and Ellertson for your help. And also to Peter
Skensved who replied to this mail personally. Yes, the Hardware switch
was off. I was quite stupid to not interpret the 'HW RF kill switch
part'. After making the switch on in front of the machine, the
wireless thing is active. But now 'ifup wlan0' is giving this message:

<<
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
SET failed on device wlan0; Invalid argument.

Determining IP information for wlan0... failed.

Can anyone please suggest what I have got to do? The ehernet LAN is
working properly between the laptop and the modem. And now I have kept
the ethernet cable unplugged.
--
das
ddts.randomink.org

Old 06-27-2008, 01:25 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

d das wrote:

Thanks dear Young and Ellertson for your help. And also to Peter
Skensved who replied to this mail personally. Yes, the Hardware switch
was off. I was quite stupid to not interpret the 'HW RF kill switch
part'. After making the switch on in front of the machine, the
wireless thing is active. But now 'ifup wlan0' is giving this message:

<<
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
SET failed on device wlan0; Invalid argument.

Determining IP information for wlan0... failed.

Can anyone please suggest what I have got to do? The ehernet LAN is
working properly between the laptop and the modem. And now I have kept
the ethernet cable unplugged.

Could you post your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0? It
may help us solve your error. But I do not think that is what is
causing the problem. What type of security is your modem/router set
up to use? (WEP/WPA/none) If you do not set up the wireless card to
use the same security, and/or if you are not using the managed mode
on your wireless NIC, you are going not going to get a DHCP lease.

Mikkel

Old 06-27-2008, 02:10 PM
"d das"

2008/6/27 Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com>:

> Could you post your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0? It may help
> us solve your error. But I do not think that is what is causing the problem.
> What type of security is your modem/router set up to use? (WEP/WPA/none) If
> you do not set up the wireless card to use the same security, and/or if you
> are not using the managed mode on your wireless NIC, you are going not going
> to get a DHCP lease.

Dear Ellertson

This is my ifcfg-wlan0, as you asked:

<<
# Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
DEVICE=wlan0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:1C:BF6:3B:34
ONBOOT=yes
NETMASK=
DHCP_HOSTNAME=
IPADDR=
DOMAIN=
TYPE=Wireless
ESSID=ddnet
CHANNEL=3
MODE=Auto
RATE=auto
SEARCH=
DNS2=192.168.1.1
DNS3=192.168.1.1
DNS1=192.168.1.1
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=yes
IPV6INIT=no
NM_CONTROLLED=no

I am using Fedora 8, with XFCE, though Gnome is installed too.

My ADSL modem is Siemens SL2_141. I kept the wireless setting there
like:

Basic --> Enable Wireless --> (checked)
SSID --> ddnet
Country --> India
Enable Wireless Guest Network --> (unchecked)

Security --> Select SSID --> (ddnet)
Network Authentication --> Open
WEP Encryption --> Disabled

In my 'system-config-network' in the laptop I have kept the settings
like this:

wlan0 --> Activate device when computer starts
Automatically obtain IP address --> DHCP
Automatically obtain DNS Information --> (checked)

Wireless Settings Mode --> Auto
Network Name --> Specified --> ddnet
Channel --> 1
Transmit rate --> Auto
Key --> (nothing)

I have tried the Network name --> (Auto) too, with the same results.

--
das
ddts.randomink.org

Old 06-27-2008, 02:11 PM
"d das"

Old 06-27-2008, 02:17 PM
Christof Haerens

d das wrote:

[...]

Did you try setting MODE=Managed?

Do you see your router's ssid broadcast with the following command?

# iwlist wlan0 scan

Kind regards

Christof

Old 06-27-2008, 02:18 PM
"d das"

And another thing maybe relevant here, from this same machine and the
same modem, DHCP with ethernet LAN is working fine. At this point, it
has assigned 192.168.1.3 to my desktop and 192.168.1.2 to the laptop
from where I am writing this mail connected through ethernet cable.
--
das
ddts.randomink.org

Old 06-27-2008, 02:39 PM
"d das"

2008/6/27 Christof Haerens <christof.haerens@sos.be>:
> Did you try setting MODE=Managed?
>
> Do you see your router's ssid broadcast with the following command?
>
> # iwlist wlan0 scan

Yes, I tried 'managed' mode too. Ok, I will try once again and send
you the output.

And this is the output of my 'iwlist wlan0 scan':

<<
[root@dia ~]# iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0 Scan completed :
Cell 01 - Address: 00:08:5C:53:22:23
ESSID:"ddnet"
Mode:Master
Channel:11
Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
Quality=80/100 Signal level:-54 dBm Noise level=-127 dBm
Encryption keyff
Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s
12 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s
Extra:tsf=000000034423167c

--
das