-   -   different mounts leads to different permissions/acl? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/114210-different-mounts-leads-different-permissions-acl.html)

fedora 06-26-2008 06:59 PM

different mounts leads to different permissions/acl?

Hoi every

we use a cvs environment, where the repository is mounted from the main
cvs-server into each participants work-space.

before fedora 9, we used cifs mounts exclusively.
with fedora 9, we started using sshfs.

this afternoon, i had the repository mounted using sshfs.

i had a failure when committing a cvs module.
cvs said:

Checking in module/779930879.htm;
/home/cvs/r/repository/module/779930879.htm,v <-- 779930879.htm
cvs [commit aborted]: cannot rename file
/home/cvs/r/repository/module/,779930879.htm, to
/home/cvs/r/repository/module/779930879.htm,v: Operation not permitted

[cvs@myws ~/work]$

i unmounted the repository and remounted it using cifs, whereupon the
commit worked fine.

i then wanted to see, what the difference is in file permissions between
the two mount versions, and to my surprise, found none: user:group were
the same with both mounts, also the file permissions were the same.

then i tried to do manually the move cvs had complained about and got
the following:

repository cifs mounted:
[cvs@myws ~/work]$ mv /home/cvs/r/repository/module/,779930879.htm
/home/cvs/r/repository/module/779930879.htm,v
mv: try to overwrite `/home/cvs/r/repository/module/779930879.htm,v',
overriding mode 0544 (r-xr--r--)? y

[cvs@myws ~/work]$

repository sshfs mounted:
[cvs@myws ~]$ mv /home/cvs/r/repository/module/,779930879.htm
/home/cvs/r/repository/module/779930879.htm,v
mv: cannot move `/home/cvs/r/repository/module/,779930879.htm' to
`/home/cvs/r/repository/module/779930879.htm,v': Operation not permitted

[cvs@myws ~]$

i made sure, that the file i wanted to move had exactly the same
permissions as when the repository was cifs mounted: it had the same
permissions (r-xr--r--).

for the cifs mount we use the standard fedora 9 samba installation for
[home] shares:

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
writable = yes
; valid users = %S
; valid users = MYDOMAIN\%S

as far as i can see, the difference is minimal, but it makes cvs commit
fail, when the repository is sshfs mounted.

can somebody explain, what the difference is, and how i could
correct/work-around it?

thanks in advance.

suomi

fedora 06-28-2008 05:58 AM

different mounts leads to different permissions/acl?

further to my posting of this week:

there is a workaround for the failing move/rename:

use the option -o workaround=rename when calling sshfs

http://fuse.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/SshfsFaq

suomi