Old 06-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Luis Orlindo Tedeschi

Default Need help with Toshiba Tecra SD reader

I cannot access the SD reader of a Toshiba Tecra. I already tested
several SD cards. The SD cards work fine under Windows XP and Mac X, but
Fedora 9 does not recognize the reader/drive? Does anyone know how to
install the driver for the SD reader? Thanks a lot. Luis

Old 06-26-2008, 10:21 PM
fred smith

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 10:52:50AM -0500, Luis Orlindo Tedeschi wrote:
> I cannot access the SD reader of a Toshiba Tecra. I already tested
> several SD cards. The SD cards work fine under Windows XP and Mac X, but
> Fedora 9 does not recognize the reader/drive? Does anyone know how to
> install the driver for the SD reader? Thanks a lot. Luis

I dunno the answer, but I wouldn't mind knowing--I've got one of
those machines (belongs to the employer, but it's old enough that
no one else wants it, so I guess it's mine to use as long as I want.)

all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."

Old 06-26-2008, 11:01 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

fred smith wrote:

I cannot access the SD reader of a Toshiba Tecra. I already tested
several SD cards. The SD cards work fine under Windows XP and Mac X, but
Fedora 9 does not recognize the reader/drive? Does anyone know how to
install the driver for the SD reader? Thanks a lot. Luis

I dunno the answer, but I wouldn't mind knowing--I've got one of
those machines (belongs to the employer, but it's old enough that

no one else wants it, so I guess it's mine to use as long as I want.)

Depending on what chipset it uses, you may find this page helpful
(TI chipset):

http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=TI_FlashMedia_xx12/xx21_driver

I don't remember where to find the Ricoh driver information is.

Mikkel

Old 06-26-2008, 11:13 PM
fred smith

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 06:01:17PM -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
> >On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 10:52:50AM -0500, Luis Orlindo Tedeschi wrote:
> >>I cannot access the SD reader of a Toshiba Tecra. I already tested
> >>several SD cards. The SD cards work fine under Windows XP and Mac X, but
> >>Fedora 9 does not recognize the reader/drive? Does anyone know how to
> >>install the driver for the SD reader? Thanks a lot. Luis
> >
> >I dunno the answer, but I wouldn't mind knowing--I've got one of
> >those machines (belongs to the employer, but it's old enough that
> >no one else wants it, so I guess it's mine to use as long as I want.)
> >
> Depending on what chipset it uses, you may find this page helpful
> (TI chipset):
>
> http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=TI_FlashMedia_xx12/xx21_driver
>
> I don't remember where to find the Ricoh driver information is.
>
> Mikkel
> --

thanks, I'll check that out!

I can do all things through Christ
who strengthens me.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Luis Orlindo Tedeschi

Mikkel, thanks a lot. I am new to Fedora and very slow learner. I was
able to download the file tifm-0.8e.tar.bz2. I don't know how to Install
it? Could you give me some help? Thanks.

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 18:01 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> fred smith wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 10:52:50AM -0500, Luis Orlindo Tedeschi wrote:
> >> I cannot access the SD reader of a Toshiba Tecra. I already tested
> >> several SD cards. The SD cards work fine under Windows XP and Mac X, but
> >> Fedora 9 does not recognize the reader/drive? Does anyone know how to
> >> install the driver for the SD reader? Thanks a lot. Luis
> >
> > I dunno the answer, but I wouldn't mind knowing--I've got one of
> > those machines (belongs to the employer, but it's old enough that
> > no one else wants it, so I guess it's mine to use as long as I want.)
> >
> Depending on what chipset it uses, you may find this page helpful
> (TI chipset):
>
> http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=TI_FlashMedia_xx12/xx21_driver
>
> I don't remember where to find the Ricoh driver information is.
>
> Mikkel

Luis O. Tedeschi, PhD, PAS
Assistant Professor
Texas A&M University

230 Kleberg Center p. (+1) 979-845-5065
2471 TAMU f. (+1) 979-845-5292
College Station, TX 77843-2471

http://nutritionmodels.tamu.edu
http://nutr.tamu.edu
http://people.tamu.edu/~luis.tedeschi

Old 06-28-2008, 07:24 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Luis Orlindo Tedeschi wrote:

Mikkel, thanks a lot. I am new to Fedora and very slow learner. I was
able to download the file tifm-0.8e.tar.bz2. I don't know how to Install
it? Could you give me some help? Thanks.

It is already included with the kernel. If you have the TI chip, you
can try "modprobe tifm_sd". If you have the Ricoh chip, you can try
"modprove ricoh_mmc".

The link was more for information then anything else. If you get an
error, post it here. I'll fire up my Toshiba laptop, and check if I
did anything special to make it work - I have the TI chipset in there.

Mikkel

Old 07-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Luis Orlindo Tedeschi

Mikkel, this is what I got, but I still cannot see the drive mounted in
the desktop. Thanks for your help.

[root@localhost ~]# modprobe tifm_sd
WARNING: Could not open
'/lib/modules/2.6.25.9-76.fc9.i686/kernel/drivers/misc/tifm_core.ko': No
such file or directory
FATAL: Error inserting tifm_sd
(/lib/modules/2.6.25.9-76.fc9.i686/kernel/drivers/mmc/host/tifm_sd.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
[root@localhost ~]# modprobe ricoh_mmc
[root@localhost ~]#

Old 07-07-2008, 02:19 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Luis Orlindo Tedeschi wrote:

Mikkel, this is what I got, but I still cannot see the drive mounted in
the desktop. Thanks for your help.

[root@localhost ~]# modprobe tifm_sd
WARNING: Could not open
'/lib/modules/2.6.25.9-76.fc9.i686/kernel/drivers/misc/tifm_core.ko': No
such file or directory
FATAL: Error inserting tifm_sd
(/lib/modules/2.6.25.9-76.fc9.i686/kernel/drivers/mmc/host/tifm_sd.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
[root@localhost ~]# modprobe ricoh_mmc
[root@localhost ~]#

Dumb question - did you build the module yourself, or use the one
supplied with the Fedora kernels? The Fedora module does not
generate that error here.

Mikkel
--

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.