FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Gerhard Magnus
 
Default problem with FC9 login screen

My login screen for Fedora 9 has only suspend, restart and shutdown
buttons, plus the list of users. There's what looks like a panel bar at
the bottom of the screen with nothing in it. I can login normally to the
gnome desktop.

How do I change the session to KDE from the login screen? (I specified
including KDE during the installation.)

Is there a widget or file where I can specify a default user (the one
highlighted on the login screen menu)?

Thanks for the help! --Jerry


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default problem with FC9 login screen

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 07:33 -0700, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> My login screen for Fedora 9 has only suspend, restart and shutdown
> buttons, plus the list of users. There's what looks like a panel bar at
> the bottom of the screen with nothing in it. I can login normally to the
> gnome desktop.
>
> How do I change the session to KDE from the login screen? (I specified
> including KDE during the installation.)
>
> Is there a widget or file where I can specify a default user (the one
> highlighted on the login screen menu)?
>
> Thanks for the help! --Jerry
>
>
Install switchdesk , if it is not installed. It will allow you to change
from Gnome to KDE.
--
================================================== =====================
Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for large values of 2.
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-26-2008, 08:48 PM
Gerhard Magnus
 
Default problem with FC9 login screen

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 07:33 -0700, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> My login screen for Fedora 9 has only suspend, restart and shutdown
> buttons, plus the list of users. There's what looks like a panel bar at
> the bottom of the screen with nothing in it. I can login normally to the
> gnome desktop.
>
> How do I change the session to KDE from the login screen? (I specified
> including KDE during the installation.)
>

In case someone else comes across this nonsense, definitely in the "not
a bug but a feature!" category...

To access KDE from the login menu I had to click on "Other" in the users
menu. Then the blank panel bar at the bottom of the screen fills up with
such familiar options as "language" and "sessions". Why should these be
hidden in this way?

I'm still trying to find the file where the login screen parameters are
stored:
> Is there a widget or file where I can specify a default user (the one
> highlighted on the login screen menu)?

Jerry


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Tim
 
Default problem with FC9 login screen

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 07:33 -0700, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> My login screen for Fedora 9 has only suspend, restart and shutdown
> buttons, plus the list of users. There's what looks like a panel bar
> at the bottom of the screen with nothing in it. I can login normally
> to the gnome desktop.
>
> How do I change the session to KDE from the login screen? (I specified
> including KDE during the installation.)

After you select a username, gadgets appear to make those choices. Pick
a user, pick your options, type your password, in that order of events.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.



--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-26-2008, 10:38 PM
g
 
Default problem with FC9 login screen

Gerhard Magnus wrote:

I'm still trying to find the file where the login screen parameters are
stored:


'gdm' is in '/etc/gdm', 'kdm' is in '/etc/kde/kdm'.

'/etc' is directory for configurations and a few other things, etcetera,
etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.


--

tc,hago.

g
.

in a free world without fences, who needs gates.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Craig White
 
Default problem with FC9 login screen

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 22:38 +0000, g wrote:
> Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> > I'm still trying to find the file where the login screen parameters are
> > stored:
>
> 'gdm' is in '/etc/gdm', 'kdm' is in '/etc/kde/kdm'.
>
> '/etc' is directory for configurations and a few other things, etcetera,
> etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.
----
# cat /etc/sysconfig/desktop
DESKTOP="KDE" # makes default desktop KDE unless specified otherwise
DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE # makes default DM kdm instead of gdm - require
restart

Craig

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-26-2008, 11:07 PM
g
 
Default problem with FC9 login screen

Craig White wrote:

# cat /etc/sysconfig/desktop
DESKTOP="KDE" # makes default desktop KDE unless specified otherwise
DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE # makes default DM kdm instead of gdm - require
restart


was aware of what i passed along, and '/etc/sysconfig/*', but do not
have 'desktop' file, so could not tell him of that one.

then again, being that i always boot level 3 and never boot level 5,
may be why i do not have it.


--

tc,hago.

g
.

in a free world without fences, who needs gates.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:58 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org