Old 06-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Craig White

Default grubby: unable to open /boot/boot.b: No such file or directory

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 01:51 +0200, Thomas Rabaix wrote:
> first, Graig, thanks for your help !
>
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 1:40 AM, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 01:23 +0200, Thomas Rabaix wrote:
> >> ok, this is my partition table : sda1 and sda2 are ext3
> >> /dev/sda1 9,9G 3,3G 6,1G 36% /
> >> /dev/sda2 449G 709M 425G 1% /var
> > ----
> > wow - all that space in /var - this a db server? You're barely using any
> > of the disk space allocated to /var
> > ----
> Well I know ... the service I use preformat the server, so I don't
> have any control on it. /var contains all files : www, mail and
> database.
> ---
> >>
> >> # e2label /dev/sda1
> >> /
> >> # e2label /dev/sda2
> >> /var
> >>
> >> Yes the file is located into /boot/grub/grub.conf. but there is not
> >> specific partition for grub, can it be an issue, does grub know how to
> >> read a etx3 partition ?.
> >>
> >> # cat /boot/grub/grub.conf
> >> default=0
> >> timeout=50
> >> title 2.6.25.6-27.fc8
> >> root (hd0,0)
> >> kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.6-27.fc8 ro root=/dev/sda1
> >> initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd-2.6.25.6-27.fc8.img
> >>
> >> let's try to understand the last 3 lines
> >> - root : " Set the current root device to the device device", so the
> >> root here is sda1 so h0,0 in grub syntax
> >> - kernel : "define the kernel to load", so we load the kernel from
> >> disk h0,0 with read only attribute (not sure about the need of this,
> >> does the system switch to rw after loading?) and we define the root to
> >> the kernel as /dev/sda1 (look redundant as it is the same as the grub
> >> one)
> >> - initrd : "Load an initial ramdisk for a Linux format boot image and
> >> set the appropriate parameters in the Linux setup area in memory." not
> >> sure to get all the bytes, but I get that this file is use to load
> >> specific module from the distribution
> >>
> >> my only current doubt, is that the / and /boot are on the same
> >> partition. So grub cannot access to /vmlinuz.... that's it why I add
> >> (hd0,0)/boot/ to make sure grub can find the kernel. Am I wrong ?
> >>
> >> So in your opinion does the grub configuration look fine ?
> > ----
> > Probably going to need someone else to verify because I am uncertain.
> >
> > Following this information
> > http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f8/en_US/sn-Installer.html#sn-label-disk-partitions
> >
> > read through this page...it's part of the installation notes for F8
> >
> > you need to use labels in grub.conf - which is what I have been trying
> > to tell you.
> >
> > thus I would think that this...
> >
> > title 2.6.25.6-27.fc8
> > root (hd0,0)
> > kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.6-27.fc8 ro root=/dev/sda1
> > initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd-2.6.25.6-27.fc8.img

> [...]
----
pay attention to Michael Schwendt - he's more knowledgeable than I am.

He definitely suggested that you also change /etc/fstab to reflect the
label mount instead of the device which was also suggested in the F8
Installation notes that I linked.

Good luck

Craig

Old 06-27-2008, 03:05 AM

Thomas Rabaix wrote:
<snip>

----

to g :
# lilo -v -t
LILO version 22.7.3 (test mode), Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2006 John Coffman
Released 11-Aug-2006 and compiled at 20:26:28 on Aug 11 2006.

Reading boot sector from /dev/sda
Using MENU secondary loader
Calling map_insert_data

Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.25.6-27.fc8
Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd-2.6.25.6-27.fc8.img
Added 2.6.25.6-27.fc8 *

Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24.7-92.fc8
Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd-2.6.24.7-92.fc8.img
Added 2.6.24.7-92.fc8

Boot image: /boot/bzImage-2.6.24.5-xxxx-grs-ipv4-32
Added linux

The boot sector and the map file have *NOT* been altered.

----
isn't that because you are running '-t' (test) instead of just
installing?

craig,
this is true, as noted in 1st line of lilo response, it proves out
what i was wondering about his concern over 'boot.b' missing.

Yes I just return the command asked by geleem@bellsouth.net

thomas,

tho i did not ask for posting results, i am glad you did. reason being is
that as you will note, test ran 100% clean. if it had not, you would not
have seen last line, it would have stopped on 1st error and noted what
was in error. therefore it will work.

as for having 'install=boot.p' in config, it is not relevant. in one of
my 'lilo.conf' i have 'install=menu' and why i was curious as to what
would happen, as i have no 'menu' in '/boot' directory.

so, a couple of suggestions;

1) make room on hard drive, 4 to 5 gigs for when you need to install
a new kernel, then you can have a 'fall back' to old kernel if new bombs
on you and you can still get back up. it will require a short script
in an early rc.d to do a time out and reboot if things fail.

2) log this site, http://freshmeat.net/~johncoffman/
and have a session with john.

hth.

--