Old 06-26-2008, 05:20 AM

Default Adding an ATA to a F9 installed on a SATA drive

Hi,
I have a two 500 Gb ATA drives that I'd like to add to F9. This computer has the onboard socket for ATA, but F9 is installed on a SATA drive.
How do I go about formatting and adding these drives?
I'd appreciate a good howto tutorial on the web or step by step instructions here.
I've been using Fedora for years, but never had to do this.
Thanks,
EJ

Old 06-26-2008, 05:38 PM
dexter

On Thu June 26 2008 06:20:23 redhatdude@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a two 500 Gb ATA drives that I'd like to add to F9. This computer
> has the onboard socket for ATA, but F9 is installed on a SATA drive. How do
> I go about formatting and adding these drives?
> I'd appreciate a good howto tutorial on the web or step by step
> instructions here. I've been using Fedora for years, but never had to do
> this.

I'd suggest using gparted its a simple point and click operation and can do
resizing of ext3 & ntfs and much much more ...

...dex

Old 06-26-2008, 06:44 PM

From: dexter <dex.mbox@googlemail.com>

> On Thu June 26 2008 06:20:23 redhatdude@bellsouth.net wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have a two 500 Gb ATA drives that I'd like to add to F9. This computer
> > has the onboard socket for ATA, but F9 is installed on a SATA drive. How do
> > I go about formatting and adding these drives?
> > I'd appreciate a good howto tutorial on the web or step by step
> > instructions here. I've been using Fedora for years, but never had to do
> > this.
>
> I'd suggest using gparted its a simple point and click operation and can do
> resizing of ext3 & ntfs and much much more ...
>
> ...dex

How do I locate the drive? My SATA drive is sda. I was expecting the ATA to be hda, but I can't find that.
Thanks,
EJ

Old 06-26-2008, 07:20 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

redhatdude@bellsouth.net wrote:

How do I locate the drive? My SATA drive is sda. I was expecting
the ATA to be hda, but I can't find that.
Thanks,
EJ

Just about all drives are handled as SCSI drives now. I would expect
the new drive to be sdb.

Mikkel

Old 06-27-2008, 01:22 PM
"Richard Shaw"

2008/6/26 Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com>:
> redhatdude@bellsouth.net wrote:
>>

>> How do I locate the drive? My SATA drive is sda. I was expecting
>> the ATA to be hda, but I can't find that.
>> Thanks,
>> EJ
>>
> Just about all drives are handled as SCSI drives now. I would expect the new
> drive to be sdb.
>
> Mikkel
> --
>
> Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
> for thou art crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!

Be careful though, the kernel could easily assign /dev/sda to the ATA
drive. I've seen it before myself and on this list. You may have to
fix GRUB but as long as your fstab is using disk labels or UUID you
should be fine.

Richard