Old 12-03-2007, 04:33 PM
James Kosin

Default Is Rawhide usable for day-to-day operation - reply when you've time, no hurry

--
Scanned by ClamAV - http://www.clamav.net

Old 12-03-2007, 05:42 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Arijit Sarkar wrote:
> Hi,
> For the past one year (almost) I am into Linux world. I used Ubuntu and
> then Debian on my desktop before. Recently I've installed Fedora 8 into
> my laptop after hearing lots of good things about it. And I found that
> in many cases Fedora 8 is better than Ubuntu 7.04 (frank opinion). No
> matter how "easy to use" ubuntu methods are, I found some interesting
> learning curves/excitements in Fedora. So I choose Fedora for my lenovo
> N3000.
>
> Now, while using /debian/, I learned about its /testing, unstable/
> branches. Later I successfully switched to "/Testing/" (currently
> '/lenny/') and quite happy to use that. Since it's a home PC, I don't
> mind if sometimes few things break and I've wait for few days for the
> fixes.
>
> Does Fedora has three branches like debian - /stable, testing, unstable/
> ? I guess "rawhide" is like "testing" in debian. Am I correct?
> In debian, people thinks that 'testing' distribution is almost usable
> for day-to-day use. Can rawhide be used for the same? Is
> 'debian-testing' and 'fedora-rawhide' comparable?
> Can I install a /rawhide /for my laptop? Can you suggest the move to
> 'rawhide' fedora install.

I would think that enabling the testing section of the various repos
for F8 would be closer to Debian Testing then rawhide. Rawhide would
probably match up to Unstable.

Mikkel

Old 12-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Karl Larsen

Arijit Sarkar wrote:

[...]

Well Fedora 8 is the newest Fedora and it could be called "testing".
It has been one of the best versions in terms of few real "bugs". There
will be Fedora 9 in about 4 months from now. So you see Fedora is in
constant testing, so that the business Red Hat Linux is stable.

You can go to rawhide and run some of the new applications if
wanted. But there will be lots of Updates that fix the bugs.

So if you do not mind a changing system welcome home!

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 12-03-2007, 09:01 PM
John Summerfield

Arijit Sarkar wrote:

[...]

"stable" in the Red Hat world is "Red Hat Enterprise linux." It costs.
There are clones such as Scientific Linux (actually, a near clone) and
CentOS with are more akin to Debian Stable. RHEL is what conservative
people bet their business on. Less well-moneyed uses a cheap clone.
That's where I sit for normail production work, I use CentOS (or WBEL,
another clone) on servers and a desktop, Scientlific Linux on a desktop.

Fedora is more like Debian's testing, or Ubuntu's mainline. I run it on
a separate system, where I want to play with the latest technology. The
pooter has hardware virtualisation, and I use Xen.

Rawhide translates most nearly to SID. Still in development. I'm
pondering on this, probably will run it as a guest under F8. Not the
best for beginners without a geek on standby.

Some people run SID, Some people run Rawhide; both are possible, and I'm
sure some users of both don't appreciate the risks involved. Fine for
geeks and wannabe geeks.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 12-04-2007, 01:41 AM
Arijit Sarkar

John Summerfield wrote:

Fedora is more like Debian's testing, or Ubuntu's mainline. I run it
on a separate system, where I want to play with the latest technology.
The pooter has hardware virtualisation, and I use Xen.

Yes, this seems a good solution. I have to make some free space on my
desktop and use Fedora with 'testing' repository enabled.
Is it okay to mix up both fedora-stable and testing softwares together?
Or I have to disable 'stable' repository and enable 'testing' repository
only? In debian-world, I've enabled only 'testing' and disable 'stable'
(many people mixes though)

Rawhide translates most nearly to SID. Still in development. I'm
pondering on this, probably will run it as a guest under F8. Not the
best for beginners without a geek on standby.

Some people run SID, Some people run Rawhide; both are possible, and
I'm sure some users of both don't appreciate the risks involved. Fine
for geeks and wannabe geeks.

I have to learn many things but I'm not afraid of Linux. For the time
being, I may not jump to the rawhide but I'll catch up soon.
By the way, you guys are really helpful and I appreciate your comments
on a off-topic like this.

regards,

Old 12-04-2007, 11:33 AM
David Timms

Arijit Sarkar wrote:

John Summerfield wrote:

Fedora is more like Debian's testing, or Ubuntu's mainline. I run it
on a separate system, where I want to play with the latest technology.
The pooter has hardware virtualisation, and I use Xen.

Yes, this seems a good solution. I have to make some free space on my
desktop and use Fedora with 'testing' repository enabled.
Is it okay to mix up both fedora-stable and testing softwares together?
In fact, packages that are released to the testing repo are potential
stable updates. Packages usually {except security fixes} normally spend
a couple of weeks in testing so that members of the fedora testing
community may use the package - hopefully finding any issues - and
reporting the issues in bugzilla. In that case the test update may be
canned, and a new test update built.

On the other hand if there is positive comment and no problems noticed
on the test package, it will be requested to be placed in the normal
fedora-updates repo. The only difference between the two packages is in
the rpm signature that is applied to the package; hence you don't need
to {and couldn't easily} update your testing package to stable because
it is the identical version-release as from testing.

It is a good idea to subscribe to the fedora-test-list to see the Fedora
X Test Update announcements, and comments - so that you might see issues
that others have already brought up.

DaveT.