Old 06-25-2008, 06:42 PM

Default Double checking grub-install ??

William Case wrote:

I am looking for confirmation that this is a correct strategy and the
proper use of the grub-install command.

i have not used oos for several years and when i have had to reinstall grub,
i have been using a mandriva install disk. i would imagine it is not all
that different with fedora.

you did not mention what version, i would guess you are at f9, i am using f8
and recall 'recover' being in selections at disk boot.

so it should be a simple matter of booting install disk, selecting 'recover'
and follow prompts.

hth.

--

tc,hago.

.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:13 PM
William Case

Hi g;

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 18:42 +0000, g wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> > I am looking for confirmation that this is a correct strategy and the
> > proper use of the grub-install command.
>
> i have not used oos for several years and when i have had to reinstall grub,
> i have been using a mandriva install disk. i would imagine it is not all
> that different with fedora.

I don't know much about mandriva, but the install disk does have rescue
mode which I am used to using.

> you did not mention what version, i would guess you are at f9, i am using f8
> and recall 'recover' being in selections at disk boot.

My Fedora version is listed with my signature.

During a bugzilla discourse, a program or facility called 'firstaid' was
promised for F9 anaconda/rescue which would cover such eventualities but
if it exists, I can't find it.

> so it should be a simple matter of booting install disk, selecting 'recover'
> and follow prompts.

But it isn't. In any case, I have spent time with grub in the past and
generally comfortable using it. I asked here as a double check because
what I am planning will wipe out my boot loader for both of my systems
temporarily and I wanted to make sure that I can be up and running as
smoothly as possible.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.2

Old 06-25-2008, 10:04 PM

William Case wrote:
<snip>

My Fedora version is listed with my signature.

so it is. did not notice before. guess i will have to start noting sigs
before i question versions. )

During a bugzilla discourse, a program or facility called 'firstaid' was

can not answer about that. next release of f9 i will venture into it.

<snip>

smoothly as possible.

no harm in double checking.

as you asked,
'grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/sdb'
will, as stated in 'man grub-install' and 'info grub-install', put grub on
'/dev/sdb' which is ok if you are using a boot loader with oos or have bios
to boot '/dev/sdb'.

when i had a '/dev/sda' crash, i used,
'grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/sda'
to install to 1st drive, as that is how i have my bios set.

hthm.

--

tc,hago.

.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:35 AM
Tim

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 14:15 -0400, William Case wrote:
> I have to run fixmbr on my WindowsXP harddisk (sda). I assume this
> use of fixmbr will blow away my grub.

It will change the master boot record to suit Windows. If you'd
previously put GRUB on there, you'd lose it.

I'm not sure that I see the point of running fixmbr, then doing
something else to undo it.

> after running fixmbr I will go to my Fedora rescue disk and do:
>
> grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/sdb
>
> That is; I want grub stage1 on the mbr of sda while I want stage2 on
> sdb /boot.

Shouldn't really be necessary to do anything other than rewrite the MBR
(you could that by backing it up with dd before any changes, then
restoring it again the same way).

Running fixmbr should only affect the drive that Windows is on. So the
only thing lost will be the MBR, the rest of GRUB will be unchanged
(stage2 will still be where it was before).

When I've restored GRUB, I've done it this way:

Get into a GRUB shell:
Type the "grub" command.

Tell GRUB where the boot partition (GRUB's root) is:
Type a "root (hd1,0)" command line (second drive, first partition).

Tell GRUB where to write the boot record to (the MBR the BIOS will boot):
Type a "setup (hd0)" command line (first drive MBR).

Make GRUB actually do it:
Type the "quit" command.

That's just four commands. Here's a copy and paste of the process on my
computer, though I'm doing everything on drive zero, since there's only
one disc in this box.

[tim@gonzales ~]$ su -
Password:
[root@gonzales ~]# grub
Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.

GNU GRUB version 0.97 (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)

[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB
lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
completions of a device/filename.]

grub> root (hd0,0)
root (hd0,1)

grub> setup (hd0)
setup (hd0)
Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... yes
Checking if "/grub/stage2" exists... yes
Checking if "/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
Running "embed /grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"... 23 sectors are embedded.
succeeded
Running "install /grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+23 p (hd0,0)/grub/stage2 /grub/grub.conf"... succeeded
Done.

grub> quit
quit
[root@gonzales ~]#

NB: Tabbing didn't work when I tried it. But it has in the past. I'm
not sure if that's down to the terminal on Fedora 9, or something else.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:28 PM
William Case

Thanks for replying Tim;

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 16:05 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 14:15 -0400, William Case wrote:
> > I have to run fixmbr on my WindowsXP harddisk (sda). I assume this
> > use of fixmbr will blow away my grub.
>
> It will change the master boot record to suit Windows. If you'd
> previously put GRUB on there, you'd lose it.
>
> I'm not sure that I see the point of running fixmbr, then doing
> something else to undo it.

I was trying to avoid wasting peoples time with a long description.

When I first boot I get the Fedora grub splash screen/menu twice --
besides that everything else boots normally.

About four weeks ago my commercial boot loader was blown away by the
WindowsXP sp3 download and install. Fine and good: that didn't surprise
me.

I just installed grub. During a first attempt at a grub install I had
an ooops! So I just re-installed grub and everything seemed fine.
Because it was an oops and not a confusion, I didn't pay attention to
the mistake, so now a month later I have forgotten exactly what I did
wrong. Besides I thought I had recovered.

About a week ago (I don't re-boot very often), I noticed the Fedora
grub splash screen appear for 1/2 second or less, then go blank and
pause for a second or two. Then a new splash screen appeared and
everything progressed fine from there. This occurs definitely during
the grub stage of bootup.

I didn't do anything then because I was going to fresh install Fedora 9
with a new grub on the weekend. Which I have done. But the double
splash screen still appears.

> > after running fixmbr I will go to my Fedora rescue disk and do:

In the hopes that I can eliminate this double boot.

> > grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/sdb
> >
> > That is; I want grub stage1 on the mbr of sda while I want stage2 on
> > sdb /boot.

I will use the grub command as you have given me to see if I can find
where the problem is.

> Shouldn't really be necessary to do anything other than rewrite the MBR
> (you could that by backing it up with dd before any changes, then
> restoring it again the same way).
>
> Running fixmbr should only affect the drive that Windows is on. So the
> only thing lost will be the MBR, the rest of GRUB will be unchanged
> (stage2 will still be where it was before).

The problem is, I think I have two stage2s.

> When I've restored GRUB, I've done it this way:

[snip]

Old 06-26-2008, 03:40 PM

William Case wrote:

I was trying to avoid wasting peoples time with a long description.

it can clear things up sometimes as they are becoming not. [excuse order
of comments. trying to reply as you have things written]

When I first boot I get the Fedora grub splash screen/menu twice --

as you mention below, twice, meaning that it appears, you select or let
it time out and boot, then it appears again, you select or let it time
out and boot to system. if so, then it sounds like you may have it
installed on both sda and sdb. possible, sda calls it up on sdb.
[i am only trying to be sure we are of full understand of this matter]

anyway, in my last post to you, i mentioned that from grub command you
presented, you where wanting to install to /dev/sdb. i stated that that
is ok, if bios was set to boot /dev/sdb, else if set to /dev/sda, bios
would not see loader on /dev/sdb, unless maybe if /dev/sdb was set as
active instead of /dev/sda. not sure, as i have never tried booting that
way.

About four weeks ago my commercial boot loader was blown away by the

so, this is what is calling grub on /dev/sdb. you do not need it and
may be better off if you just use grub on /dev/sda to select oos or
fedora. unless you have something that grub can not load.

if not, you can/should either follow tim's grub install using
'grub <enter>' or use single command as you posted. either way, you
can/should change install to /dev/sda and make changes to 'grub.conf'
and include oos.

m2c. ymmv.

--

tc,hago.

.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:29 PM
TNWestTex

William Case wrote:

> Thanks for replying Tim;
>
> On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 16:05 +0930, Tim wrote:
>
> I was trying to avoid wasting peoples time with a long description.
>
> When I first boot I get the Fedora grub splash screen/menu twice --
> besides that everything else boots normally.
>
> About four weeks ago my commercial boot loader was blown away by the
> WindowsXP sp3 download and install. Fine and good: that didn't surprise
> me.
>
> I just installed grub. During a first attempt at a grub install I had
> an ooops! So I just re-installed grub and everything seemed fine.
> Because it was an oops and not a confusion, I didn't pay attention to
> the mistake, so now a month later I have forgotten exactly what I did
> wrong. Besides I thought I had recovered.
>
> About a week ago (I don't re-boot very often), I noticed the Fedora
> grub splash screen appear for 1/2 second or less, then go blank and
> pause for a second or two. Then a new splash screen appeared and
> everything progressed fine from there. This occurs definitely during
> the grub stage of bootup.
>
> I didn't do anything then because I was going to fresh install Fedora 9
> with a new grub on the weekend. Which I have done. But the double
> splash screen still appears.

The double splash screen is normal with chaining multiple grub
installations. The
short splashscreen is normal if the timeout parameter is not set or is set
to a small value.
Could you have a /boot on /dev/sda that is chaining to one on /dev/sdb?
With
a stanza in grub.conf like

title Other
rootnoverify (hd1)
chainloader +1

or
title Other
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1

It is a clean way of handling multiple linux operating systems and letting
each handle its own
boot and grub configuration.

Robert McBroom

Old 06-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Tim

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 10:28 -0400, William Case wrote:
> When I first boot I get the Fedora grub splash screen/menu twice --
> besides that everything else boots normally.

Sounds like you've installed GRUB, again, to a second location. And,
now, one chainloads the other, before the computer boots.

Computer relay racing... Pass the baton... ;-)

I might guess that you've got a grub inside a grub directory.
e.g. /boot/grub/grub/grub

I avoided using the grub-install scripts, as they can make some
unwarranted assumptions.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:04 AM
William Case

Hi Tim;

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 07:35 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 10:28 -0400, William Case wrote:
> > When I first boot I get the Fedora grub splash screen/menu twice --
> > besides that everything else boots normally.
>
> Sounds like you've installed GRUB, again, to a second location. And,
> now, one chainloads the other, before the computer boots.
>
> Computer relay racing... Pass the baton... ;-)

Exactly -- but where and how do I eliminate it?

> I might guess that you've got a grub inside a grub directory.
> e.g. /boot/grub/grub/grub

I have double -- triple -- checked, and I can't find a second grub or
grub.conf anywhere. I have searched both harddisks. I do have
a /etc/grub.conf link and a grub2 /boot/efi but I moved both of those
aside by renaming *.BU. That had no effect, I still get the double grub
flashscreen/menu.

> I avoided using the grub-install scripts, as they can make some
> unwarranted assumptions.

I will in the future.

Sorry to keep at this, but I am stumped. I don't want to risk
prematurely re-installing grub without discovering the cause of the
baton passing. Who knows what I might mess up. Remember, I did
re-install grub when I did a fresh install of F9 and that solved
nothing.
--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.2

Old 06-27-2008, 01:52 AM
stan

William Case wrote:

Hi Tim;

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 07:35 +0930, Tim wrote:

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 10:28 -0400, William Case wrote:

When I first boot I get the Fedora grub splash screen/menu twice --
besides that everything else boots normally.

This describes the behavior that occurs when there is a configfile entry
in the
grub.conf file. You don't have that?

For instance, you keep your mbr on sda. However, you have another boot
partition

on sdb. You can put the entry
root(hd1,0) # boot for second OS is first partition on second drive
configfile /grub/menu.lst
in grub.conf and it will bring up the second menu that you can then
select which

kernel you want to boot on the other OS.