Old 06-25-2008, 02:31 PM
"Mark Haney"

Default F8 -> F9 rpms -- Complete bollocks.

Mark Haney wrote:
I mean it doesn't even look
like there are F9 equivalents for various F8 packages I would call
'important' like fedora-usermgmt-shadow-utils. Part of the problem is
that yum update completely implodes with dependency problems because of
these legacy RPMs. I know some of them have F9 equivalents that were
installed, but not all. I'm still working on a way to grep for all the
packages that have both F8 and F9 on that system so I can remove the
older ones.

So, can someone explain to me why this is so? Or give me a way to find
the duplicate packages a little more painlessly and dumping the rpm db
into a file and manually looking for them?

Okay, I have more information on this. I think my rpmdb is completely
FUBAR. This is what I'm seeing when I 'yum update php' (for example)

ependencies Resolved

================================================== ===========================
Package Arch Version Repository Size
================================================== ===========================
Updating:
php i386 5.2.6-2.fc8 updates
1.2 M
php-cli i386 5.2.6-2.fc8 updates
2.4 M
php-common i386 5.2.6-2.fc8 updates
227 k
php-ldap i386 5.2.6-2.fc8 updates
30 k
php-mysql i386 5.2.6-2.fc8 updates
79 k
php-odbc i386 5.2.6-2.fc8 updates
47 k
php-pdo i386 5.2.6-2.fc8 updates
61 k

Installing for dependencies:
openssl i386 0.9.8b-17.fc8 fedora
1.4 M

Note, all these are FC8 updates (apparently).

Now, when I query rpm for php packages I get this:

[root@sulla temp]# rpm -qa | grep php
php-5.2.5-7.fc9.i386
php-ldap-5.2.5-7.fc9.i386
php-odbc-5.2.5-7.fc9.i386
php-pdo-5.2.5-7.fc9.i386
php-mysql-5.2.5-7.fc9.i386
php-cli-5.2.5-7.fc9.i386
php-common-5.2.5-7.fc9.i386

So, it looks to me like I have F9 packages installed (at v5.2.5-7) but
that the /updated/ php version is 5.2.6-2 F8? I'm getting the feeling
this upgrade wasn't as complete as the GUI told me it was.

Now, what do I do to fix this?

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 06-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Chris Jones

So, it looks to me like I have F9 packages installed (at v5.2.5-7) but
that the /updated/ php version is 5.2.6-2 F8? I'm getting the feeling
this upgrade wasn't as complete as the GUI told me it was.

Now, what do I do to fix this?

Have you checked your yum configuration files to see if they now point
to fc9 repos ? From what 'yum update php' gives you it seems like
perhaps it is still looking at fc8 repos ...

Chris

Old 06-25-2008, 02:44 PM
"Mark Haney"

Chris Jones wrote:

So, it looks to me like I have F9 packages installed (at v5.2.5-7) but
that the /updated/ php version is 5.2.6-2 F8? I'm getting the feeling
this upgrade wasn't as complete as the GUI told me it was.

Now, what do I do to fix this?

Have you checked your yum configuration files to see if they now point
to fc9 repos ? From what 'yum update php' gives you it seems like
perhaps it is still looking at fc8 repos ...

Chris

No, I haven't. But why would they do that after the upgrade? I'll
check'em, but that would be a weird problem to see after an upgrade.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:50 PM
"Mark Haney"

Mark Haney wrote:

Chris Jones wrote:

Have you checked your yum configuration files to see if they now point
to fc9 repos ? From what 'yum update php' gives you it seems like
perhaps it is still looking at fc8 repos ...

Chris

No, I haven't. But why would they do that after the upgrade? I'll
check'em, but that would be a weird problem to see after an upgrade.

Here's what I see. It all points to F9 repos:

[root@sulla yum.repos.d]# yum repolist
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
repo id repo name status
InstallMedia Fedora 8 enabled
adobe-linux-i386 Adobe Systems Incorporated enabled
fedora Fedora 9 - i386 enabled
updates Fedora 9 - i386 - Updates enabled

Except the InstallMedia one. Could that be the problem?

Old 06-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Mark Haney wrote:

Here's what I see. It all points to F9 repos:

[root@sulla yum.repos.d]# yum repolist
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
repo id repo name status
InstallMedia Fedora 8 enabled
adobe-linux-i386 Adobe Systems Incorporated enabled
fedora Fedora 9 - i386 enabled
updates Fedora 9 - i386 - Updates enabled

Except the InstallMedia one. Could that be the problem?

Yes. Disable or remove that repository file and then run

# yum install yum-utils
# package-cleanup --problems

Clean them up and run

# yum update

Rahul

Old 06-25-2008, 03:00 PM
"Mark Haney"

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

Mark Haney wrote:

Here's what I see. It all points to F9 repos:

[root@sulla yum.repos.d]# yum repolist
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
repo id repo name status
InstallMedia Fedora 8 enabled
adobe-linux-i386 Adobe Systems Incorporated enabled
fedora Fedora 9 - i386 enabled
updates Fedora 9 - i386 - Updates enabled

Except the InstallMedia one. Could that be the problem?

Yes. Disable or remove that repository file and then run

# yum install yum-utils
# package-cleanup --problems

Clean them up and run

# yum update

Rahul

I can do that, but it does not explain the yum update output for PHP as
compared to the RPM query of PHP. How can I tell if I'm getting the
correct repos (maybe $releasever is being substituted incorrectly in yum
somehow).

Old 06-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Mark Haney wrote:

I can do that, but it does not explain the yum update output for PHP as
compared to the RPM query of PHP. How can I tell if I'm getting the
correct repos (maybe $releasever is being substituted incorrectly in yum
somehow).

If #yum repolist points to Fedora 9 repositories completely, you
shouldn't have any problems. Yum can use -d <range 1 to 9> to provide
additional debugging information but simply disabling the Fedora 8
repositories and running the commands I have given should fix this issue.

Rahul

Old 06-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 10:50:26 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:

> Here's what I see. It all points to F9 repos:
>
> [root@sulla yum.repos.d]# yum repolist
> Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
> repo id repo name status
> InstallMedia Fedora 8 enabled
> adobe-linux-i386 Adobe Systems Incorporated enabled
> fedora Fedora 9 - i386 enabled
> updates Fedora 9 - i386 - Updates enabled
>
> Except the InstallMedia one. Could that be the problem?

Careful here. That explains nothing. $basearch in your *.repo files
is also in the "repo name" field, but the repo baseurl could be
hardcoded to point to Fedora 8 updates. Do check your *.repo files
at a lower level, _not_ with yum repolist.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:10 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:00:20 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:

> > # yum install yum-utils
> > # package-cleanup --problems
> >
> > Clean them up and run
> >
> > # yum update
> >
> > Rahul
> >

> I can do that, but it does not explain the yum update output for PHP as
> compared to the RPM query of PHP. How can I tell if I'm getting the
> correct repos (maybe $releasever is being substituted incorrectly in yum
> somehow).

Run "rpm -q fedora-release" and also "yum clean metadata" once your
repository baseurls are verified. And I meant $releasever not $basearch
in my other reply.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:11 PM
"Mark Haney"

Michael Schwendt wrote:

Here's what I see. It all points to F9 repos:

[root@sulla yum.repos.d]# yum repolist
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
repo id repo name status
InstallMedia Fedora 8 enabled
adobe-linux-i386 Adobe Systems Incorporated enabled
fedora Fedora 9 - i386 enabled
updates Fedora 9 - i386 - Updates enabled

Except the InstallMedia one. Could that be the problem?

Careful here. That explains nothing. $basearch in your *.repo files
is also in the "repo name" field, but the repo baseurl could be
hardcoded to point to Fedora 8 updates. Do check your *.repo files
at a lower level, _not_ with yum repolist.

Well, I did take a look at them manually and they /look/ okay. I just
can't tell for certain is $releasever is being inserted as '8' instead
of '9' somehow.