Old 06-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Luc MAIGNAN

Default LVM question

Hi,

I 've extended a volume group by addind a new disk (pvcreate, vgextend
and lvextend).

All seems to be ok, while lvdisplay gives me the new modified size .
But a 'df' continues to give me the old size.

What's wrong ?

BR

Old 06-25-2008, 12:12 PM
"Deron Meranda"

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 6:55 AM, Luc MAIGNAN <luc.maignan@winxpert.com> wrote:
> I 've extended a volume group by addind a new disk (pvcreate, vgextend and
> lvextend).
> All seems to be ok, while lvdisplay gives me the new modified size .
> But a 'df' continues to give me the old size.
>
> What's wrong ?

You also need to resize the filesystem that is contained within the
logical volume so that it expands to fill the new space.

Use the resize2fs command.
--
Deron Meranda

Old 06-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Damian Myerscough

Hello,

Did you re-size the actual file system? It sounds like you need to
re-size the file system.

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 12:55 +0200, Luc MAIGNAN wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I 've extended a volume group by addind a new disk (pvcreate, vgextend
> and lvextend).
> All seems to be ok, while lvdisplay gives me the new modified size .
> But a 'df' continues to give me the old size.
>
> What's wrong ?
>
> BR

Damian Myerscough

Old 09-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Gene Poole

I performed an extend (lvextend) on a file system
that was running out

of space. *All of the return codes and messages showed a good

completion. *However, when I did a display on the file system (df
-m

/work) it didn't show that the file system had been extended.

The first display command was:

* *lvdisplay /dev/DataVG00/DataLV01

And it return the following messages:

* * *--- Logical volume ---

*LV Name * * * * * * * */dev/DataVG00/DataLV01

*VG Name * * * * * * * *DataVG00

*LV UUID * * * * * * * *hU4l3x-QLGB-Bcat-rFo3-V7Oo-uKDT-1d1od9

*LV Write Access * * * *read/write

*LV Status * * * * * * *available

*# open * * * * * * * * 1

*LV Size * * * * * * * *46.00
GB

*Current LE * * * * * * 1472

*Segments * * * * * * * 3

*Allocation * * * * * * inherit

*Read ahead sectors * * 0

*Block device * * * * * 253:16

*

The second display command was:

* *df -m /work

And it returned the following message:

*

Filesystem * * * * * 1M-blocks * * *Used
Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/mapper/DataVG00-DataLV01

* * * * * * * * * *
* * 31742 * * 20998 * * *9107 *70%
/work

Should I be concerned? *What can I do to make the available space
show

up? *I've even re-booted the machine before I drafted the message.

TIA

Gene Poole

Old 09-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Kapil Hari Paranjape

Hello,

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, Gene Poole wrote:
> I performed an extend (lvextend) on a file system that was running out
> of space. All of the return codes and messages showed a good
> completion. However, when I did a display on the file system (df -m
> /work) it didn't show that the file system had been extended.

lvextend extends the underlying block device. It does not resize the
filesystem. You will need to resize the file-system. Assuming that you
are using ext2/3, this would be the following sequence of commands:

umount /work
e2fsck -f /dev/DataVG00/DataLV01
resize2fs /dev/DataVG00/DataLV01
mount /work

Regards,

Kapil.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Robert Locke

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 19:20 +0530, Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, Gene Poole wrote:
> > I performed an extend (lvextend) on a file system that was running out
> > of space. All of the return codes and messages showed a good
> > completion. However, when I did a display on the file system (df -m
> > /work) it didn't show that the file system had been extended.
>
> lvextend extends the underlying block device. It does not resize the
> filesystem. You will need to resize the file-system. Assuming that you
> are using ext2/3, this would be the following sequence of commands:
>
> umount /work
> e2fsck -f /dev/DataVG00/DataLV01
> resize2fs /dev/DataVG00/DataLV01
> mount /work

Actually, we've had "online growing" available for ext3 for quite some
time.

Presuming it's an ext3 filesystem, you can just do:

resize2fs /dev/DataVG00/DataLV01

HTH,

--Rob

Old 09-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Gene Poole

That's what I forgot! resize2fs!

I greatly appreciate the replies.

Thanks,

Gene Poole

Old 01-17-2012, 02:26 AM
Jonathan Vomacka

CentOS Community,

It is to my understanding that the /boot partition should never be
placed on LVM and should be a physical partition on the hard drives
(or on top of a RAID array). Is this an accurate statement?

Also please advise if the SWAP filesystem is safe to be placed under
LVM, or if this should be a hard partition / hard limit as well. I am
unsure if boot issues or any filesystem issues would be caused by
placing them on LVM. Please educate me if possible.

Thanks in advance for the information!

Old 01-17-2012, 02:38 AM
Muhammad Panji

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Jonathan Vomacka <juvix88@gmail.com>wrote:

> CentOS Community,
>
> It is to my understanding that the /boot partition should never be
> placed on LVM and should be a physical partition on the hard drives
> (or on top of a RAID array). Is this an accurate statement?

Yup. Because GRUB < 1.95 cannot read it
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Deployment_Guide-en-US/s1-lvm-diskdruid-manual.html

> Also please advise if the SWAP filesystem is safe to be placed under
> LVM, or if this should be a hard partition / hard limit as well. I am
> unsure if boot issues or any filesystem issues would be caused by
> placing them on LVM. Please educate me if possible.

The default partition from anaconda put the swap on LVM so I think that
wouldn't be a problem.
even if you need more swap you can make (additional) swap file.

-----
Muhammad Panji
http://www.panji.web.id http://www.kurungsiku.com
http://sumodirjo.wordpress.com http://www.kurungsiku.web.id