-   -   Problem with NIS in Fedora 9 (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/113061-problem-nis-fedora-9-a.html)

Michael Hannon 06-25-2008 04:25 AM

Problem with NIS in Fedora 9

Greetings. We've installed Fedora 9 on a Pentium 4 system (i386). This
system is part of a group of 20 or so systems that get NIS service from
one of our servers. Most of the other systems in this group are running
Fedora 8. The system in question is the only one running Fedora 9.

On all the Fedora 8 systems the NIS service works just fine. On the
Fedora 9 system the ypbind service seems to start but never really makes
it all the way:

[root@f9sys ~]# ypwhich
ypwhich: Can't communicate with ypbind

[root@f9sys ~]# service ypbind restart
Shutting down NIS service: [ OK ]
Starting NIS service: [ OK ]
Binding NIS service: ............... [ OK ]

[root@f9sys ~]# ypwhich
ypwhich: Can't communicate with ypbind

When this happens we get a message in /var/log/messages:

Jun 24 21:08:50 f9sys
ypbind: NIS domain: f9sysdom, NIS server:

I.e., we have the correct domain name, but no server is ever listed.

But on this system, as on all other systems in the group, we have in
/etc/yp.conf:

domain f9sysdom server our.nis.server

We have checked that the problem does not seem to be related to
iptables, TCP wrappers, or selinux.

We also have "our.nis.server" listed in /etc/hosts, and

hosts: files dns nis

in /etc/nsswitch.conf, so it would seem not to be a DNS problem.

If you have any thoughts about this, please send 'em my way.

Thanks.

-- Mike

Tom Horsley 06-25-2008 09:44 AM

Problem with NIS in Fedora 9

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:25:26 +0800 (CST)
Michael Hannon <jm_hannon@yahoo.com> wrote:

> If you have any thoughts about this, please send 'em my way.

My constant thought with all network problems in F9 is to
disable the NetworkManager service, enable the network service
and reboot to see if things work much better then :-).

Michael Hannon 06-25-2008 01:34 PM

Problem with NIS in Fedora 9

Thanks, Tom. That seems to have done the trick. NIS is working just fine now.

-- Mike

"Tom Horsley" 06-25-2008 01:42 PM

Problem with NIS in Fedora 9

> Thanks, Tom. That seems to have done the trick. NIS is working just fine now.

You might want to submit a bugzilla documenting yet another thing that
doesn't work right with NetworkManager to add to the enormous collection
already submitted :-).