Old 06-24-2008, 10:05 PM
"Richard Shaw"

Default Live CD Question: Boot from USB for initrd but load system from different location?

I have a laptop on loan that I want to use Fedora with but I don't
want to modify the disk partitions for obvious reasons (its not mine,
it's on loan). I got the livecd working on a USB memory stick but I
didn't like having it sticking out all the time, plus after a while of
running it seemed to get I/O errors and locked up on me. I
successfully installed the livecd to a SD card in the multi card
reader using livecd-iso-to-usb, however, the system will not boot to
it.

So my question is: How would I go about using the USB stick to boot
from for the initrd/syslinux portion but then hand off the booting
process to the SD card in the card reader for the live image? That way
I could remove the USB stick after booting. I'm not real familiar with
the initrd but I assume I would have to recreate/modify one to include
the kernel modules for the card reader at the least.

An additional question is could I then have a persistent overlay on
the hard drive (NTFS partition)? That way when I'm done with the
laptop I can just delete the overlay file. It would also keep the
writes going to a hard drive instead of wearing out my flash memory.

Thanks,
Richard