Old 06-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Phil Meyer

Default Fedora 9, multi-monitor, multi-card woes

Jeffrey M. Hardy wrote:

Hello all,

From FC1 to F8 inclusive, I have used the same hardware to have a
fully-spanned desktop using three cards across four monitors. Rather
than being too ambitious at the moment, I am merely trying to get
three separate non-cloned desktops across three different cards. Here
is lspci output:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17GL [Quadro
NVS] (rev a3)
05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2
MX/MX 400] (rev b2)
05:01.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2
MX/MX 400] (rev b2)

We see that a lot here. What is happening is that no single driver will
handle both of those cards. Your choices are:

1. (recommended) dump the $20.00 MX 400 for something made this century.

2. run both the legacy and the new nvidia drivers. This is a REAL PITA
and takes a level of expertise nearing black magic to make work. If you
are not a wizard class admin, don't attempt it.

When my users bring be machines with mismatched junk video cards to
install, I tell them strait up that for the time it would take to make
it work, I could make enough money to buy a new top of the line Nvidia
or ATI card.

Think about it.

Good Luck!

Old 06-25-2008, 01:27 AM
"Jeff Hardy"

Phil Meyer wrote:

Jeffrey M. Hardy wrote:

Hello all,

From FC1 to F8 inclusive, I have used the same hardware to have a
[...]

The thing is, the same driver always did. I've been running the
kmod-nvidia-96xx series of drivers from livna for years, which supports
both kinds of card. Unfortunately it hasn't been updated upstream to
work with the newer kernel in F9. In its stead, the nv driver should do
the trick for both types of card. And why would mixing drivers matter?
Just a different Driver line in the config for each card.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:16 PM
"Jeff Hardy"

Jeff Hardy wrote:

Phil Meyer wrote:

Jeffrey M. Hardy wrote:

Hello all,

From FC1 to F8 inclusive, I have used the same hardware to have a
[...]

Not willing to wait to see if the 96xx driver is ever updated, I picked
up some cards that work with the 173 driver. As long as I use the
nvidia driver, all is well. I have nvidia's twinview up for my AGP
dual-head card, and the other PCI cards work fine, for a total of four
screens. I have yet to get xinerama working across all of the screens,
but that is not a huge priority.

Interestingly, I found that I have the same issue as I had with the
older cards if I attempt to use the nv driver. It seems nv simply
cannot deal with any of the PCI cards I have tried.