Old 06-24-2008, 09:24 PM
"Mark Haney"

Default Wireless problems. UPDATE

Mark Haney wrote:

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 14:50 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

Did it get rid of the multiple copies? Did it correctly detect the
cards?

It did. Until a second reboot. Then they came back.

In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interface>, is there a
HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx line?

A that point, I'd consider filing a bug. John Linville handles the
wireless stuff, and he's usually been pretty responsive.
The problem is, I don't know what the problem is, so don't know what
to file.

It probably doesn't make too much difference, in the sense that wherever
you file, you'll get help troubleshooting.

If none of the connectivity tools leads to a connection, I'd probably
start with the kernel (Linville's beat), suspecting that it's a wireless
driver issue. It can always be reassigned later if troubleshooting
leads you to some other component.

Probably not a bad idea. Yes, there is a HWADDR= line. And it matches
with the address that shows up in dmesg.

I noticed you're at Clemson. I was down there last month for CIDays.
The campus is much prettier than I remember the last time I was there.
(Which, sadly, was the Fumble-rooski Bobby Bowden pulled against you.)

Well, I figured since I was having trouble getting wireless on my F8
desktop, that I would go ahead and upgrade to F9. Was not as pleasant
an experience as all my previous upgrades have been, however.

On my first attempt to upgrade the system hung right at the end of the
install process causing me to start over. Fortunately, the second try
finished the process correctly and I could boot into F9 fine.

X didn't come up clean, but a reconfig of the display fixed that.
Something I've /never/ had to do on previous upgrades.

However, from the CLI my wireless card came up beautifully manually,
including using a static IP address. For some reason dhcp6c didn't get
me an IP address from the AP. Weird.

Anyway, now I'm really wondering, why the hell are there so many F8 rpms
still left on this box? I use no 3rd party repos at all on this system
since most everything I need is in the standard repo. I upgraded using
the F9 DVD so it wasn't like nearly everything wasn't available from the
install media.

So, for now, I'm happy, I have wireless back on this box. I'll let you
know how it works after maintenance and some reboots. Thanks to
everyone for all the help. As always, the Fedora list is the best one
around.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 06-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Tim

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 17:24 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
> For some reason dhcp6c didn't get me an IP address from the AP.
> Weird.

Does your AP have a IPv6 DHCP server? There's still a lot of devices
that are only IPv4.

> Anyway, now I'm really wondering, why the hell are there so many F8
> rpms still left on this box?

It's always been the way that distros would re-use RPMs created for a
prior release if they didn't need to be recompiled for the new one.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:14 PM
"Mark Haney"

Tim wrote:

For some reason dhcp6c didn't get me an IP address from the AP.
Weird.

Does your AP have a IPv6 DHCP server? There's still a lot of devices
that are only IPv4.

Anyway, now I'm really wondering, why the hell are there so many F8
rpms still left on this box?

It's always been the way that distros would re-use RPMs created for a
prior release if they didn't need to be recompiled for the new one.

My wireless router doesn't but my primary router does. I don't really
need an IPv6 DHCP server, so why do you ask?

Old 06-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Tim

´╗┐Mark Haney:
> My wireless router doesn't but my primary router does. I don't really
> need an IPv6 DHCP server, so why do you ask?

You wrote, "For some reason dhcp6c didn't get me an IP address from the
AP." That sounded like you didn't know why.

If the device doesn't support IPv6, it's not going to work through it.
If some device in your network does support it (e.g. a router), but your
DHCP server doesn't, then IPv6 can be used on the network, but you'd
need something else to assign it an address.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:01 PM
"Mark Haney"

Tim wrote:

Mark Haney:
My wireless router doesn't but my primary router does. I don't really
need an IPv6 DHCP server, so why do you ask?

You wrote, "For some reason dhcp6c didn't get me an IP address from the
AP." That sounded like you didn't know why.

If the device doesn't support IPv6, it's not going to work through it.
If some device in your network does support it (e.g. a router), but your
DHCP server doesn't, then IPv6 can be used on the network, but you'd
need something else to assign it an address.

Okay, maybe I"m the idiot here. dhcp6c is the IPv6 dhcp client right?
Okay, that being the case, what app does Fedora use get an IP from a
dhcp server? On my laptop it's dhcpcd, but Fedora doesn't have that nor
anything close to that OTHER than dhcp6c which is why I mentioned it. I
thought that was just a regular dhcp client that (possibly) handled ipv6
as well (hence the 6 in the name).

Obviously I was wrong and should RTFM more often.

What daemon does Fedora use for dhcp?

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Wed Jun 25 17:30:01 2008