Old 06-24-2008, 06:37 PM
"Deron Meranda"

Default Periodic Fedora 9 system hangs with jumpy mouse

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 1:11 PM, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>> When the system hangs, the mouse cursor will continue to move, but
>> it is very jumpy and sluggish. But otherwise the system is completely
>> unresponsive (not just slow).
>
> That sounds like it suddenly ran out of memory.
>
> Try
>
> echo "2" >/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory
> echo "80" >/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_ration
>
> and see if instead you suddenly see lots of out of memory errors and
> applications going away

BTW, that's _ratio, not _ration.

Prior to this, those parameters were 0 and 50 respectively.

Ah, yes, as soon as I ran the first command, my X11 session
immediately aborted and I got sent back to the gdm login.

Although my memory use should have been pretty small
at the time (I had just rebooted so only a terminal window and
a single Firefox tab were running).

> Does anything make /var/log/messages ?

Prior to changing the kernel flags above, no, nothing ever
showed up in syslog. But after this I saw something like this
right at the point of running the first command above:

Jun 24 14:03:44 deron kernel: [drm] Num pipes: 1
Jun 24 14:03:44 deron udevd[545]: udev_event_run: fork of child
failed: Cannot allocate memory
Jun 24 14:03:44 deron udevd[545]: udev_event_run: fork of child
failed: Cannot allocate memory
Jun 24 14:03:45 deron restorecond: Will not restore a file with more
than one hard link (/etc/resolv.conf) Cannot allocate memory
Jun 24 14:03:45 deron kernel: tomboy[2973]: segfault at 8968548 ip
08968548 sp bfaeab7c error 4
Jun 24 14:03:45 deron acpid: client connected from 4262[0:0]
Jun 24 14:03:45 deron bonobo-activation-server (dem-4259): could not
associate with desktop session: Failed to connect to socket /t
mp/dbus-vx4vmi4BAf: Connection refused
Jun 24 14:03:46 deron kernel: agpgart: Found an AGP 3.0 compliant
device at 0000:00:00.0.
Jun 24 14:03:46 deron kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at
0000:00:00.0 into 8x mode
Jun 24 14:03:46 deron kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at
0000:01:00.0 into 8x mode
Jun 24 14:03:47 deron kernel: [drm] Setting GART location based on new
memory map
Jun 24 14:03:47 deron kernel: [drm] Loading R300 Microcode
Jun 24 14:03:47 deron kernel: [drm] Num pipes: 1
Jun 24 14:03:47 deron kernel: [drm] writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs

Other than the udev errors, I don't know what to make of the others.

>> This system is a Dell Optiplex GX270 (4-5 yrs old) with a Pentium 4 3GHz cpu
>> with hyperthreading enabled, 1 MB ram. I am using LVM and LUKS encryption
>> on the swap and /home.
>
> 1MB or 1GB. 1MB might be a bit slow so I suspect the latter

Yes, a typo, 1 GiB physical memory.

> I wonder if LUKS + swap might be the first suspect

Well, I looked a little closer and it may be my fault. The LVM
I have swap in was only 32 MB in size, not the 32 GB I had
intended! So my swap is way smaller than my physical memory.

Would that excessively small swap space size had resulted
in the abrupt hanging behavior I had witnessed?

I'm going to try to resize things and get my swap back up
to 32 GB. A little tricky due to LUKS being in the mix, but
I should be able to do it.

>> The only hardware change in the system was replacing my old PCI graphics
>> card (Matrox Millenium II) with a brand new ATI Stealth X1050 AGP. This was
>> necessary because the F9 graphical install was unusable; as the old card only
>> had VGA output and the installer's X11 could not properly auto-detect the LCD
>> widescreen monitor and was trying to drive it at too high a frequency. I needed
>> to have DVI output for the F9 graphical install to work; so I had to get a new
>> video card.
>
> Which video driver are you using ?

The Fedora supplied driver, not the ATI add-on. I'm can't remember how
to figure out which X driver is being used anymore.

Thanks Alan
--
Deron Meranda

Old 06-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Alan Cox

O> > I wonder if LUKS + swap might be the first suspect
>
> Well, I looked a little closer and it may be my fault. The LVM
> I have swap in was only 32 MB in size, not the 32 GB I had
> intended! So my swap is way smaller than my physical memory.
>
> Would that excessively small swap space size had resulted
> in the abrupt hanging behavior I had witnessed?

If something suddenly ate a lot of memory.

> I'm going to try to resize things and get my swap back up
> to 32 GB. A little tricky due to LUKS being in the mix, but
> I should be able to do it.

Once you've done that run it for a bit and see if it seems to be
gradually eating through swap. The overcommit test will probably work
sanely as well with 1GB+ of swap 8)

Alan

Old 06-24-2008, 08:21 PM
"Deron Meranda"

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> O> > I wonder if LUKS + swap might be the first suspect
>> I'm going to try to resize things and get my swap back up
>> to 32 GB. A little tricky due to LUKS being in the mix, but
>> I should be able to do it.
>
> Once you've done that run it for a bit and see if it seems to be
> gradually eating through swap. The overcommit test will probably work
> sanely as well with 1GB+ of swap 8)

I'm running with almost 14GB of swap space now instead of 32MB.

(Resizing things went smooth but was quite a lengthy manual process.
When you've got LUKS and LVM and ext3 all in the mix you also
have to do a lot of units conversions: 512 B/sector, 1024 B/kB,
4096 B/block, 32MB/LE ...)

I'll run it for a few days and report back if this worked or not.
--
Deron Meranda

Old 06-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Bowe Strickland

>> I have reinstalled Fedora 9 (not an upgrade) onto a system that used
>> to run F7 fine (except for a new video card, see below).
>>
>> Now I am seeing intermittent system hangs or lockups; probably about
>> 2 or 3 per day. This happens most often if I'm scrolling a page in
>> Firefox with the mouse wheel, but it has happened a few other times
>> too. Usually when this happens I'm doing very little other than
>> viewing a webpage or typing at the terminal shell. No music or
>> video is playing;

>> Does anybody have any ideas what might be happening; and is there anything
>> I can do to help diagnose this problem or obtain more information that
>> may be useful?

I had very similar symptoms after installing F9, which seemed to be coming
from bursts of disk I/O (as noted by the "system monitor" applet's harddisk
panel), usually when firefox browswing or using gvim. After updating to
firefox-3.0-1.fc9.i386 a week or so ago, I've not had any problems...

--bowe

Old 06-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 16:21 -0400, Deron Meranda wrote:
> >> I'm going to try to resize things and get my swap back up
> >> to 32 GB. A little tricky due to LUKS being in the mix, but
> >> I should be able to do it.
> >
> > Once you've done that run it for a bit and see if it seems to be
> > gradually eating through swap. The overcommit test will probably work
> > sanely as well with 1GB+ of swap 8)
>
> I'm running with almost 14GB of swap space now instead of 32MB.
>
> (Resizing things went smooth but was quite a lengthy manual process.
> When you've got LUKS and LVM and ext3 all in the mix you also
> have to do a lot of units conversions: 512 B/sector, 1024 B/kB,
> 4096 B/block, 32MB/LE ...)
>
> I'll run it for a few days and report back if this worked or not.
> --
> Deron Meranda

Runnin with 14GB of swap semms an obscene waste of space. When you run
free how much of it is actually used?

Old 06-25-2008, 03:25 PM
"Deron Meranda"

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 9:16 AM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> I'm running with almost 14GB of swap space...
>>
> Runnin with 14GB of swap semms an obscene waste of space. When you run
> free how much of it is actually used?

Yes, for this machine its overkill, but I don't mind. But I also run lots of
heavy-duty servers where its not (granted they are 64-bit with lots of
physical memory though).
--
Deron Meranda

Old 06-25-2008, 06:26 PM
"Deron Meranda"

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> Once you've done that run it for a bit and see if it seems to be
> gradually eating through swap. The overcommit test will probably work
> sanely as well with 1GB+ of swap 8)

Bad news. The system is still periodically "hanging". This time
I have more information, and I don't believe it to be memory/swap
related at all. It actually is looking more like a kernel issue (?)

I was able to use another computer and keep an ssh/shell session
open onto the system. Then starting from a freshly booted system
and logging in, I only ran firefox. Just reading /. for a while and
scrolling a lot and eventually the system exhibited the same
hanging behavoir. The mouse would move jumpily, but no other
interaction or screen output/updates would occur.

However the remote ssh session was still alive and interactive,
so the system itself was not dead.

Note that nothing showed up in the syslog, even with the
vm overcommit kernel parameters set as Alan suggested.
Furthermore, the system still had plenty of free memory left
and the swap was 0% used. vmstat showed no paging at
all. From the shell, the system still appeared to operate
normally, except that the Xorg process was pegging one of
the CPU cores at 100%.

I tried to capture stuff from the /proc entry for that process
(some of it included below). I was unable to gdb attach to
the Xorg process (gdb would hang). And also the Xorg process
was not killable. Finally I tried kill -KILL on it, and it sort
of got half-killed. The exe symlink in proc was blanked out,
and the process showed up as the name "[Xorg]" (my
understanding is that the bracket syntax indicates a process
that is dying/zombied). However the process ID remained,
and it still showed as consuming 100% cpu in a running (R)
state; which an actual zombie would never do.

Here's the output of /proc/2682/status, before I attempted to kill it:

Name: Xorg
State: R (running)
Tgid: 2682
Pid: 2682
PPid: 2681
TracerPid: 0
Uid: 0 0 0 0
Gid: 0 0 0 0
FDSize: 256
Groups:
VmPeak: 611884 kB
VmSize: 34632 kB
VmLck: 0 kB
VmHWM: 60628 kB
VmRSS: 25496 kB
VmData: 18560 kB
VmStk: 84 kB
VmExe: 1724 kB
VmLib: 9180 kB
VmPTE: 592 kB
Threads: 1
SigQ: 1/16375
SigPnd: 0000000000000000
ShdPnd: 0000000000002000
SigBlk: 0000000000000000
SigIgn: 0000000000301000
SigCgt: 00000001d1806ecb
CapInh: 0000000000000000
CapPrm: ffffffffffffffff
CapEff: ffffffffffffffff
Cpus_allowed: 00000003
Mems_allowed: 1
voluntary_ctxt_switches: 334819
nonvoluntary_ctxt_switches: 34772

Note that the context switches would always increase
every time I checked; even after it was in the half-killed
state.

All of the other processes for my user, except for Xorg,
could be killed off cleanly. Only the Xorg process remained.

Also during this time, I could see no significant system
I/O occuring (where is the iostat command btw?). Also
vmstat showed a very calm system.

Again, this is running kernel 2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686, with
a 2-cpu smp (1 cpu with hyperthreading).

Is there anything I can do to capture more useful information
the next time this happens?
--
Deron Meranda

Old 06-25-2008, 06:55 PM

Deron Meranda wrote:
<snip>

the Xorg process (gdb would hang). And also the Xorg process
was not killable. Finally I tried kill -KILL on it, and it sort
of got half-killed.

use 'ps -el|grep X' to find 'X', Xorg process, then

"kill -15 'pid#'" to kill it. if '-15' fails, use '-7'.

--

tc,hago.

.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:13 PM
"Deron Meranda"

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 2:55 PM, g <geleem@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Deron Meranda wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> the Xorg process (gdb would hang). And also the Xorg process
>> was not killable. Finally I tried kill -KILL on it, and it sort
>> of got half-killed.
>
> use 'ps -el|grep X' to find 'X', Xorg process, then
>
> "kill -15 'pid#'" to kill it. if '-15' fails, use '-7'.

I did the ps thing. Only one Xorg process was running.
I also tried kills in the following order:

kill -TERM (-15)
kill -SEGV (-11)
kill -KILL (-9)

The first two did nothing. The last kill (which is not blockable)
changed the process name from "Xorg" to "[Xorg]" and blanked
the /proc/xxx/exe symlink; but otherwise the Xorg process
remained in a run state consuming 100% cpu.

BTW, I've now looked through the Xorg.0.log file, and nothing
interesting shows up in it when this "hang" occurs. Also the
video card driver being loaded is the "radeon_drv.so" that
comes with F9.
--
Deron Meranda

Old 06-25-2008, 07:44 PM

Deron Meranda wrote:

"kill -15 'pid#'" to kill it. if '-15' fails, use '-7'.

I did the ps thing. Only one Xorg process was running.

should be just 1.

I also tried kills in the following order:

kill -TERM (-15)
kill -SEGV (-11)
kill -KILL (-9)

this is not same as what i was showing you above. use numbers, not words.

type it as "kill -15 'pid#'" and use '-7' if '-15' does not work.

there is a difference in what i am showing you and what you are using.

The first two did nothing. The last kill (which is not blockable)
changed the process name from "Xorg" to "[Xorg]" and blanked
the /proc/xxx/exe symlink; but otherwise the Xorg process
remained in a run state consuming 100% cpu.

BTW, I've now looked through the Xorg.0.log file, and nothing
interesting shows up in it when this "hang" occurs.

being that it 'hangs' there may not be any log entry.

--

tc,hago.

.