Old 06-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Chris Jones

Default how to reduce the font size in emacs?

Hi,

I have the following in my ~/.emacs file

;; Display settings
(setq default-frame-alist
'(
(width . 100)
(height . 70)
(font .
"-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--17-120-100-100-m-100-iso8859-1")

(mouse-color . "Pink")
(cursor-color . "Pink")
(background-color . "Black")
(foreground-color . "White")
))

The above is to make the font bigger not smaller, but you get the idea

You need to choose the font to suit what you want. I use xfontsel for this.

Chris

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

i've poked around and i can't figure how to decrease the font size
when running emacs on the desktop. hints? please?

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Have classroom, will lecture.

http://crashcourse.ca Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Old 06-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Anders Karlsson

* Chris Jones <jonesc@hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> [20080624 15:31]:
> Hi,
>
> I have the following in my ~/.emacs file
>
> ;; Display settings
> (setq default-frame-alist
> '(
> (width . 100)
> (height . 70)
> (font .
> "-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--17-120-100-100-m-100-iso8859-1")
> (mouse-color . "Pink")
> (cursor-color . "Pink")
> (background-color . "Black")
> (foreground-color . "White")
> ))
>
> The above is to make the font bigger not smaller, but you get the idea
>
> You need to choose the font to suit what you want. I use xfontsel for this.

Shift-Mouse1 gives you a menu to select with. You can also do
$ emacs -fn 7x14
on the commandline, or edit .Xresources and add the line:
Emacs.font: -xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal--16-160-72-72-c-80-iso10646-1
for example. Then to make it take effect
$ xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources

There are more ways I am sure, but these works for me.

> Chris
>

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>> i've poked around and i can't figure how to decrease the font size
>> when running emacs on the desktop. hints? please?
>>
>> rday
>> --

>> Robert P. J. Day
>> Linux Consulting, Training and Annoying Kernel Pedantry:
>> Have classroom, will lecture.
>>
>> http://crashcourse.ca Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Anders Karlsson <anders@trudheim.co.uk>
All-Round Linux Tinkerer & RHCE