Old 06-24-2008, 04:45 AM
Frank Cox

Default remote app -- local data

I need to run a program on a computer that I normally access through a tunneled
VNC desktop over SSH. I want to have that remote program save its data on my
local hard drive.

For example, if my remote program was Firefox, I would want anything that I
downloaded to be saved into my local directory, not into a directory on the
remote computer where Firefox is actually running.

Is there a way to achieve this? On a somewhat related note, is there a way to
tell VNC not to load a full desktop, but but just to run one single program?
ssh -X is too slow over this link.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:48 AM
Craig White

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 22:45 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> I need to run a program on a computer that I normally access through a tunneled
> VNC desktop over SSH. I want to have that remote program save its data on my
> local hard drive.
>
> For example, if my remote program was Firefox, I would want anything that I
> downloaded to be saved into my local directory, not into a directory on the
> remote computer where Firefox is actually running.
>
> Is there a way to achieve this? On a somewhat related note, is there a way to
> tell VNC not to load a full desktop, but but just to run one single program?
> ssh -X is too slow over this link.
----
ssh -XC (C is for compressed...might be useful)

anyway, freenx is capable of saving to local smb server - also works
better than anything else on limited bandwidth

Craig

Old 06-24-2008, 06:46 AM

Frank Cox wrote:

I need to run a program on a computer that I normally access through a tunneled
VNC desktop over SSH. I want to have that remote program save its data on my
local hard drive.

have you tried setting your 'preferences | main | downloads' to your
local drive?

--

tc,hago.

.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Frank Cox

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 06:46:33 +0000
g <geleem@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> have you tried setting your 'preferences | main | downloads' to your
> local drive?

The local drive doesn't exist on the remote computer, so I can't set any
preferences to it.

And it's not actually Firefox, that was just an example. It's a custom
program that downloads stuff from a server that can only be accessed from a
certain IP address range.

Thanks anyway, though.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Frank Cox

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 22:48:52 -0700
Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:

> ssh -XC (C is for compressed...might be useful)
>
> anyway, freenx is capable of saving to local smb server - also works
> better than anything else on limited bandwidth

Interesting. I will do some investigating. Thanks!

Old 06-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Les Mikesell

Frank Cox wrote:

have you tried setting your 'preferences | main | downloads' to your
local drive?

The local drive doesn't exist on the remote computer, so I can't set any
preferences to it.

And it's not actually Firefox, that was just an example. It's a custom
program that downloads stuff from a server that can only be accessed from a
certain IP address range.

Thanks anyway, though.

If all you need is to make it appear that the connection came from a
different machine, either run a proxy on that machine (squid will handle
http/ftp) or use ssh port-forwarding and run the apps locally. If you
really have to run an app on the intermediate machine, mount your drive
into it with NFS or samba - but since you mentioned it being slow, you
probably won't like that.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 06-24-2008, 12:58 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Frank Cox wrote:

have you tried setting your 'preferences | main | downloads' to your
local drive?

The local drive doesn't exist on the remote computer, so I can't set any
preferences to it.

And it's not actually Firefox, that was just an example. It's a custom
program that downloads stuff from a server that can only be accessed
from a

certain IP address range.

Thanks anyway, though.

Will the remote machine support sshfs? If so, you could mount the
local drive on the remote machine over a ssh link.

Mikkel

Old 06-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Frank Cox

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 07:58:43 -0500
"Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com> wrote:

> Will the remote machine support sshfs? If so, you could mount the
> local drive on the remote machine over a ssh link.

Now that looks like it will do exactly what I want it to do, in the way that I
want it to do it.

I shall do some experimenting with this.

Thanks!