-   -   FC9 x86_64 powers off unexpectedly (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/112299-fc9-x86_64-powers-off-unexpectedly.html)

"Dan Farmer" 06-24-2008 12:06 AM

FC9 x86_64 powers off unexpectedly

Hi All,

My system has been spontaneously powering off once or twice a day for
the last week or so. The obvious candidate would be thermal issues, so
I took some steps to improve cooling and I believe that is fairly well
resolved. At the last power off that I was present for I checked the
CPU temp in the BIOS when it booted up and the temp was 45 degrees C.
I also tweaked some settings related to cpu voltage and powersaving
settings that seemed to help a bit (?). But still my longest run of
uptime has been about 18 hours.

I recently built this sytem, the specs are as follows:

System specs:
Fedora Core 9 x64_64
500W power supply
Core2 Duo E8400 proc @ 3Ghz
4 GB RAM
GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 motherboard
nvidia geforce 8800 GT

I've built plenty of systems before that never have had problems, but
I wouldn't completely rule out "build quality" I suppose -- I just
think it's unlikely. Can anyone give me some direction on what else I
can investigate? Any log files, BIOS settings (I know that's a little
out of the scope...), etc?

Thank you! Other than the intermittent loss of power I've really been
digging FC9 :)

-Dan

stan 06-24-2008 12:22 AM

Dan Farmer wrote:

[...]

This sounds like a power supply problem to me. A bad component that
overheats after running for a period of time.

Roger Heflin 06-24-2008 12:23 AM

Dan Farmer wrote:

[...]

I don't know about that Intel's, but on some AMD MB the higher end cpus would
cause machines to power off, the issue was that the MB in question was not
testing at all with the higher cpu speeds, and the higher cpus pulled too much
power and resulted in MB power components overheating, the initial solution was
to put a bigger heatsink on the power components, the later solution was to use
a larger power component, you may be able to test this sort of theory by having
a fan directly blow on the MB to keep everything nice and cool, you might also
use a temp meter and measure the temps on various components and see if anything
outside of the cpu is getting too warm, or you could using the powersavings
setting in Linux to not allow the cpu to run at the highest speed, if not
running at the highest speed helps, then it could be overheating, or causing
some other component to overheat. Also without something cpu intensive running
the cpu temp may not mean anything, if you do get something cpu intensive to
run, that may cause it to fall over fairly quickly.

Roger

g 06-24-2008 01:06 AM

Roger Heflin wrote:

Dan Farmer wrote:

Hi All,

My system has been spontaneously powering off once or twice a day for

<snip>
causing some other component to overheat. Also without something cpu
intensive running the cpu temp may not mean anything, if you do get
something cpu intensive to run, that may cause it to fall over fairly
quickly.

for something 'cpu intensive' check this site,

http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm

it was suggest as something for me to try when i was having problems with
system i am on now, but my problems proved to be else where and i have not
as yet run this test.

i would like to give credit to who supplied it, but i had a drive crash
and it took his name and 10 days of email along with it.

do some reading in faqs about what you will be doing and you should come
to a clear understanding as to how well you will be testing your system.

hth.

--

tc,hago.

.