-   -   use wireless router as wireless NIC? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/112233-use-wireless-router-wireless-nic.html)

Dave Stevens 06-23-2008 09:51 PM

use wireless router as wireless NIC?

I have an office that moved recently. Before it was using a Linksys wrt54g
wireless router, dsl from the telco (telus). Now it is adjacent to another
office set up the same way. Rather than continue to pay double we'd like to
share the cost and the connection. Can anyone suggest whether or how I can
program my router to pick up the wifi signal from the next office and get it
into my box? F7 if it matters.

Dave
--
In modern fantasy (literary or governmental), killing people is the usual
solution to the so-called war between good and evil. My books are not

-- Ursula K. LeGuin

Fred Erickson 06-23-2008 11:07 PM

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 14:51 -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:
> I have an office that moved recently. Before it was using a Linksys wrt54g
> wireless router, dsl from the telco (telus). Now it is adjacent to another
> office set up the same way. Rather than continue to pay double we'd like to
> share the cost and the connection. Can anyone suggest whether or how I can
> program my router to pick up the wifi signal from the next office and get it
> into my box? F7 if it matters.
>
> Dave

The Linksys WAP11 could be set up to re-transmit a received wifi signal.
Don't know if the WRT54g has that capability or not. Have you googled
wireless bridges?

Aaron Konstam 06-24-2008 02:31 PM

use wireless router as wireless NIC?

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 14:51 -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:
> I have an office that moved recently. Before it was using a Linksys
> wrt54g
> wireless router, dsl from the telco (telus). Now it is adjacent to
> another
> office set up the same way. Rather than continue to pay double we'd
> like to
> share the cost and the connection. Can anyone suggest whether or how I
> can
> program my router to pick up the wifi signal from the next office and
> get it
> into my box? F7 if it matters.

There is nothing to program as long as the wireless AP is detectable
from both offices.

max 06-24-2008 04:29 PM

Aaron Konstam wrote:

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 14:51 -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:

I have an office that moved recently. Before it was using a Linksys
wrt54g
wireless router, dsl from the telco (telus). Now it is adjacent to
another
office set up the same way. Rather than continue to pay double we'd
like to
share the cost and the connection. Can anyone suggest whether or how I
can
program my router to pick up the wifi signal from the next office and
get it
into my box? F7 if it matters.

There is nothing to program as long as the wireless AP is detectable
from both offices.
I'll be Grateful when they're Dead.

He wants his router to connect to the other router and then give his pc
access thru *his* router. He doesn't want to connect directly to the
other AP, at least that's how I read.

--
"Use your aggressive feelings, boy."--Emperor Palpatine

"Adam Hough" 06-24-2008 04:55 PM

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:29 AM, max <maximilianbianco@gmail.com> wrote:

Aaron Konstam wrote:

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 14:51 -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:

I have an office that moved recently. Before it was using a Linksys

wrt54g wireless router, dsl from the telco (telus). Now it is adjacent to

another office set up the same way. Rather than continue to pay double we'd

like to share the cost and the connection. Can anyone suggest whether or how I

can program my router to pick up the wifi signal from the next office and

get it into my box? F7 if it matters.

*
Yes it is possible to setup a something like that is you have a WRT54G that supports DD-WRT.* *Go see if your version is support here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

If your WRT54G is supported then you can flash the WRT54G with the dd-wrt firmware.* Once flashed you can have your router be a wireless bridge to the other wireless network.* There are some other steps that I am leaving out because I do not remember them all as it has been months since I setup something like this.

Dave Stevens 06-24-2008 07:53 PM

On Tuesday 24 June 2008 09:29:36 am max wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 14:51 -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:
> >> I have an office that moved recently. Before it was using a Linksys
> >> wrt54g
> >> wireless router, dsl from the telco (telus). Now it is adjacent to
> >> another
> >> office set up the same way. Rather than continue to pay double we'd
> >> like to
> >> share the cost and the connection. Can anyone suggest whether or how I
> >> can
> >> program my router to pick up the wifi signal from the next office and
> >> get it
> >> into my box? F7 if it matters.
> >
> > There is nothing to program as long as the wireless AP is detectable
> > from both offices.
> > --
> > ================================================== =====================
> > I'll be Grateful when they're Dead.
> > ================================================== =====================
> > Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net
>
> He wants his router to connect to the other router and then give his pc
> access thru *his* router. He doesn't want to connect directly to the
> other AP, at least that's how I read.

yes, that's right.

Aaron Konstam 06-24-2008 08:13 PM

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 12:53 -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 June 2008 09:29:36 am max wrote:
> > Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > >
> > > There is nothing to program as long as the wireless AP is detectable
> > > from both offices.
> > > --
> > > ================================================== =====================
> > > I'll be Grateful when they're Dead.
> > > ================================================== =====================
> > > Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net
> >
> > He wants his router to connect to the other router and then give his pc
> > access thru *his* router. He doesn't want to connect directly to the
> > other AP, at least that's how I read.
>
> yes, that's right.

Ok. I believe you, but why do you need to do that. he effect is the
same as the setup I described.

Steven Tardy 06-24-2008 10:03 PM

Dave Stevens wrote:
I have an office that moved recently. Before it was using a Linksys wrt54g
wireless router, dsl from the telco (telus). Now it is adjacent to another
office set up the same way. Rather than continue to pay double we'd like to
share the cost and the connection. Can anyone suggest whether or how I can
program my router to pick up the wifi signal from the next office and get it
into my box? F7 if it matters.

Dave

you need to put your wireless access point in "client mode".
you will probably need a standalone wireless access point.
(combo wireless/router/dsl/switch/kitchensink devices usually cannot do this)
i use a linksys WAP54G to do this:(page 40 of the WAP54G-v3_ug.pdf details "client mode")

[pc]...[wirelessAPinClientMode])) (([FriendlyNeighborhoodWirelessAP/dsl modem]