Old 06-23-2008, 09:33 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

Default Blue screen and yum / not yum

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 21:02 +0000, tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:
> First I will be glad not to "top post" as soon as someone tells me
> what it means ;-)

It means inserting your reply before the quoted material you are
replying to, instead of after it (like I'm doing here). Some people find
this intensely annoying as it makes it hard to follow the trend of a
conversation, especially when multiple replies and replies to replies
are all together.

BTW, your message appears to be a reply to something but a) isn't
threaded and b) doesn't quote anything at all, making it hard to
understand the context. (Since I think you're replying to me, I do
understand it, but the list is read by many people and is also archived,
so having a message out of order and with no internal clue as to context
means it's more likely to be ignored).

When I say your message isn't threaded, I mean it doesn't include an
the messages they reply to and allows the better sort of mail client to
show the messages together in a "thread".  This is probably because you
used a webmail system and some of them are broken in this respect. Note
that it's not enough simply to use the same Subject: line, as subjects
tend to repeat a lot especially on mailing lists.

Sorry if you already knew all this.

poc

Old 06-23-2008, 09:38 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 00:12 +0300, Bassel Safadi wrote:
> 2008/6/24 <tony.chamberlain@lemko.com>:
>
> I will try to answer all the questions with one message.
>
> First I will be glad not to "top post" as soon as someone
> tells me what it means ;-)
>
> Second, I believe they are using Gnome. That is usually what
> they use here.
> I was gone last week when they sent the machine but I believe
> it is gnome.
>
> The customer says the monitor is fine. I had him bring up
> grub and put 3 and he says
> he did it. I wasn't there to see it.
>
> I think they are going to bring the machine here and I can
> analyze it.

> here is why you don't have to top post:
> http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost

Sorry to be pedantic Bassel, but "why you don't have to" is not the same
as "why you should not". The first means "it's not obligatory to [i.e.
to top-post], but you can if you like", which is more or less the
reverse of what you actually mean, that being "why you should not
[top-post]".

poc

Old 06-23-2008, 09:49 PM
"Bassel Safadi"

Sorry to be pedantic Bassel, but "why you don't have to" is not the same

as "why you should not". The first means "it's not obligatory to [i.e.

to top-post], but you can if you like", which is more or less the

reverse of what you actually mean, that being "why you should not

[top-post]".

poc

Sorry for my bad English, you're right Patrick, I said it the wrong way, I'm new to English that's why I do such mistakes,
Thanks a lot for the note :-)

Old 06-23-2008, 09:50 PM
"Bassel Safadi"

Sorry to be pedantic Bassel, but "why you don't have to" is not the same

as "why you should not". The first means "it's not obligatory to [i.e.

to top-post], but you can if you like", which is more or less the

reverse of what you actually mean, that being "why you should not

[top-post]".

poc

Sorry for my bad English, you're right Patrick, I said it the wrong way, I'm new to English that's why I do such mistakes,
Thanks a lot for the note :-)

this was about (Blue screen and yum / not yum) right? :-)

Old 06-23-2008, 10:16 PM
max

tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:

I will try to answer all the questions with one message.

First I will be glad not to "top post" as soon as someone tells me what it means ;-)

Second, I believe they are using Gnome. That is usually what they use here.
I was gone last week when they sent the machine but I believe it is gnome.

The customer says the monitor is fine. I had him bring up grub and put 3 and he says
he did it. I wasn't there to see it.

I think they are going to bring the machine here and I can analyze it.

Always easier if you can see and do for yourself. I asked about the
video driver too....: )

Old 06-23-2008, 10:39 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 00:49 +0300, Bassel Safadi wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 12:38 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry to be pedantic Bassel, but "why you don't have to" is
> not the same
> as "why you should not". The first means "it's not obligatory
> to [i.e.
> to top-post], but you can if you like", which is more or less
> the
> reverse of what you actually mean, that being "why you should
> not
> [top-post]".
>
> poc

> Sorry for my bad English, you're right Patrick, I said it the wrong
> way, I'm new to English that's why I do such mistakes,

One makes mistakes, one doesn't do them :-) I know it's really
confusing, as most languages, especially those derived from Latin, the
everyday words for make and do are the same, but in English they aren't
(he said redundantly). BTW you don't come across as someone new to
English, judging from your posts here.

> Thanks a lot for the note :-)

When I was learning Spanish I was grateful for people correcting me. Now
I sometimes correct them :-) (and that's a language with two verbs for
"to be", which mean different things and are not interchangeable.)

poc

Old 06-23-2008, 10:39 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 00:50 +0300, Bassel Safadi wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 12:49 AM, Bassel Safadi
> <bassel.safadi@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 12:38 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry to be pedantic Bassel, but "why you don't have
> to" is not the same
> as "why you should not". The first means "it's not
> obligatory to [i.e.
> to top-post], but you can if you like", which is more
> or less the
> reverse of what you actually mean, that being "why you
> should not
> [top-post]".
>
> poc

> Sorry for my bad English, you're right Patrick, I said it the
> wrong way, I'm new to English that's why I do such mistakes,
> Thanks a lot for the note :-)
>
> this was about (Blue screen and yum / not yum) right? :-)

Yes.

poc

Old 06-23-2008, 11:45 PM

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
<snip>

http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost

Sorry to be pedantic Bassel, but "why you don't have to" is not the same

<snip>

[top-post]".

poc,
have a look at link. it also mentions inline replying and cutting waste. ;o)

--

tc,hago.

.