Old 06-23-2008, 07:57 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

Default let root be root?

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 19:24 +0000, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On a new fedora 9 install the other day, I was running as root and clicked
> on the livna repo rpm link on the livna web pages and when the box came
> up, I clicked on "Go ahead and install this sucker".
>
> Then firefox (or someone, anyway) said "Oh no, you don't have permission
> to install rpms, I can't do that."
>
> AARGH!
>
> "What do you want for Christmas kid?"
>
> "I want to install a genuine Red Ryder rpm directly from firefox as root!"
>
> "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!"
>
> So just how many idiotic undocumented layers of "helpful" security software
> do I have to figure out how to use merely to have root permissions when
> running as root?

Can you run rpm from a terminal?

If not, do you have SElinux running in enforcement mode? If so, just
being root isn't enough, you need to have the right credentials to
install software (I don't run in enforcement mode so I can't remember
what they are).

poc

Old 06-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Antonio Olivares

> On a new fedora 9 install the other day, I was running as
> root and clicked
> on the livna repo rpm link on the livna web pages and when
> the box came
> up, I clicked on "Go ahead and install this
> sucker".
>
> Then firefox (or someone, anyway) said "Oh no, you
> don't have permission
> to install rpms, I can't do that."
>
> AARGH!
>
> "What do you want for Christmas kid?"
>
> "I want to install a genuine Red Ryder rpm directly
> from firefox as root!"
>
> "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!"
>
> So just how many idiotic undocumented layers of
> "helpful" security software
> do I have to figure out how to use merely to have root
> permissions when
> running as root?
>
> --

root@localhost:~/src# make install
./agrinst
make: execvp: ./agrinst: Permission denied
make: *** [install] Error 127

I was running as root and I got ``Permission denied'

It is strange and weird. Guess not even root is root anymore. Might be selinux, did setroubleshoot pop up? run dmesg and it might be there. It could also have something to do with this.

Regards,

Antonio

Old 06-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Tom Horsley

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:27:20 -0430
"Patrick O'Callaghan" <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you run rpm from a terminal?

Yep, in fact all I did was save the rpm to disk
then did a rpm -ihv on it, and all was well.

> If not, do you have SElinux running in enforcement mode? If so, just
> being root isn't enough, you need to have the right credentials to
> install software (I don't run in enforcement mode so I can't remember
> what they are).

Selinux is always turned off on all my machines, this is something
new (policykit maybe?, or just firefox butt-headness?).

Old 06-23-2008, 08:49 PM
"Bassel Safadi"

On a new fedora 9 install the other day, I was running as root and clicked

on the livna repo rpm link on the livna web pages and when the box came

up, I clicked on "Go ahead and install this sucker".

Then firefox (or someone, anyway) said "Oh no, you don't have permission

to install rpms, I can't do that."

AARGH!

"What do you want for Christmas kid?"

"I want to install a genuine Red Ryder rpm directly from firefox as root!"

"You'll shoot your eye out, kid!"

So just how many idiotic undocumented layers of "helpful" security software

do I have to figure out how to use merely to have root permissions when

running as root?

ok it's simple
just open your terminal, then type:
su -
then enter the root's password
after that type:
firefox
that will fire up firefox by root so now you can do what ever you want from firefox, but note that anything you'll be doing with firefox will be done as a root user, so if you did some thing wrong things will go bad, but that what I do in your case... just be carfull...

Old 06-23-2008, 08:50 PM
"Bassel Safadi"

[...]

sorry I did not noticed that you are all ready root, try it after login as a normal user :-)