Old 06-23-2008, 07:47 PM
max

Default Blue Screen

tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:

We installed Linux and some software for a customer and sent him the machine.
First we made sure everything was OK, rebooted, etc.

But now when he is trying to bring it up it goes through all the initialization stuff,
etc., but then he just gets the blue screen (you know, you usually get a blue
screen but with a login box in the middle?). Anyway all he gets is a blue screen.

Any idea what could be wrong? I know before there was a problem where in /etc/inittab
for runlevel 3, instead of

id:5:initdefault:

I put

x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

but I tried this on a machine here. It never gives you the blue screen.
It hangs after the initialization, and never goes into X. Also, I had
him bring up the kernal select and put a " s" for single-user mode,
but the same thing happened.

Any ideas?

Try putting 3 or 1 (runlevels) instead of "s". I would use 3 instead of
1 and try startx from there. Which display manager are you using?

which video driver are you using?

A stroll thru the log files wouldn't hurt either, which desktop is it
again?KDE?GNOME?XFCE?

Here is my inittabi use KDE and GNOME(less and less, yeah!!))
[x33@localhost xinit]$ cat /etc/inittab
# inittab is only used by upstart for the default runlevel.
#
# ADDING OTHER CONFIGURATION HERE WILL HAVE NO EFFECT ON YOUR SYSTEM.
#
# System initialization is started by /etc/event.d/rcS
#
# Individual runlevels are started by /etc/event.d/rc[0-6]
#
# Ctrl-Alt-Delete is handled by /etc/event.d/control-alt-delete
#
# Terminal gettys (tty[1-6]) are handled by /etc/event.d/tty[1-6] and
# /etc/event.d/serial
#
# For information on how to write upstart event handlers, or how
# upstart works, see init(8), initctl(8), and events(5).
#
# Default runlevel. The runlevels used are:
# 0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
# 1 - Single user mode
# 2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have
networking)

# 3 - Full multiuser mode
# 4 - unused
# 5 - X11
# 6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:5:initdefault:

--
Fortune favors the BOLD

Old 06-23-2008, 08:02 PM
Jim

max wrote:

[...]

His problem is going to be with his Video driver.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 18:56 +0000, tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:

> We installed Linux and some software for a customer and sent him the
> machine.
> First we made sure everything was OK, rebooted, etc.
>
> But now when he is trying to bring it up it goes through all the
> initialization stuff,
> etc., but then he just gets the blue screen (you know, you usually get
> a blue
> screen but with a login box in the middle?). Anyway all he gets is a
> blue screen.
>
> Any idea what could be wrong? I know before there was a problem where
> in /etc/inittab
> for runlevel 3, instead of
>
> id:5:initdefault:
>

> I put
>
> x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
>
> but I tried this on a machine here. It never gives you the blue
> screen.
> It hangs after the initialization, and never goes into X. Also, I had
> him bring up the kernal select and put a " s" for single-user mode,
> but the same thing happened.
>
> Any ideas?
I would first want to know what happens before the blue screen. There is
no way the booting to single user could get you a blue gdm screen.
I would suspect a mangled grub.conf file.