Old 12-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Jeremy Nix

Default Preferred Architecture for Centrino Core Duo

I was reading the Fedora 8 documentation and came across section 3.2
that recommends that the x86_64 architecture to be used for the Centrino
Core Duo processors. In prior versions, I have been running the i686
architecture, so I am curious as to what the benefits would be in
switching to a 64 bit architecture when my processor is a 32bit
dual-core. Can somebody explain this to me, as the documentation does
not really outline the benefits or reasons to switch to the 64 bit
architecture.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:13 PM
"Zhukov Pavel"

On Dec 3, 2007 5:50 PM, Jeremy Nix <Jeremy.Nix@sfsltd.com> wrote:
> I was reading the Fedora 8 documentation and came across section 3.2
> that recommends that the x86_64 architecture to be used for the Centrino
> Core Duo processors.

Core Duo it's a x86 processor. it doesn't support x86_64.

Core 2 Duo it's a x86_64 and support 64bit technology.

> In prior versions, I have been running the i686
> architecture, so I am curious as to what the benefits would be in
> switching to a 64 bit architecture when my processor is a 32bit
> dual-core. Can somebody explain this to me, as the documentation does
> not really outline the benefits or reasons to switch to the 64 bit
> architecture.
>
> Thanks in advance.

if you don't know what is it - you probably don't need it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64 -- this can help you.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:31 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Zhukov Pavel wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2007 5:50 PM, Jeremy Nix <Jeremy.Nix@sfsltd.com> wrote:
>> I was reading the Fedora 8 documentation and came across section 3.2
>> that recommends that the x86_64 architecture to be used for the Centrino
>> Core Duo processors.
>
> Core Duo it's a x86 processor. it doesn't support x86_64.
>
> Core 2 Duo it's a x86_64 and support 64bit technology.

My lappie has a Centrino Duo sticker on it, and was very happy running
the F8 X86_64 live DVD, so I would assume that your blanket statement
above needs some tweaking. Some Core Duo CPUs *are* 64-bit capable.

(then again, /proc/cpuinfo lists my CPU as an: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU
so please be careful about how CPUs are referred to, and maybe my
laptop manufacturer was lax about the sticker they put on it.)

The correct way to ensure that your CPU is 64 bit capable is to look at
for the LM bit being set in /proc/cpuinfo for your processor(s).

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Old 12-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Chris Snook

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

Zhukov Pavel wrote:

[...]

Centrino Duo is an Intel branding for systems with certain sets of components,
including a Core 2 Duo processor, which is 64-bit. All Core Duo *processors*
are 32-bit only. If it boots a 64-bit kernel, it's not 32-bit, but the 64-bit
processors *will* boot the 32-bit kernel.

If you can use 64-bit, it's generally better to do so, though you may encounter
some problems with 3rd-party kernel modules, and you may want to use 32-bit
firefox or nspluginwrapper for binary plugin compatibility.

-- Chris

Old 12-03-2007, 09:08 PM
John Summerfield

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

Zhukov Pavel wrote:

I was reading the Fedora 8 documentation and came across section 3.2
that recommends that the x86_64 architecture to be used for the Centrino
Core Duo processors.

Core Duo it's a x86 processor. it doesn't support x86_64.

Core 2 Duo it's a x86_64 and support 64bit technology.

My lappie has a Centrino Duo sticker on it, and was very happy running
the F8 X86_64 live DVD, so I would assume that your blanket statement
above needs some tweaking. Some Core Duo CPUs *are* 64-bit capable.

Anyone who cares should check www.intel.com. It's what I did before
buying (I wanted virtualisation support).

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 12-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Phil Meyer

John Summerfield wrote:

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

Zhukov Pavel wrote:

I was reading the Fedora 8 documentation and came across section 3.2
that recommends that the x86_64 architecture to be used for the
Centrino

Core Duo processors.

Core Duo it's a x86 processor. it doesn't support x86_64.

Core 2 Duo it's a x86_64 and support 64bit technology.

My lappie has a Centrino Duo sticker on it, and was very happy running
the F8 X86_64 live DVD, so I would assume that your blanket statement
above needs some tweaking. Some Core Duo CPUs *are* 64-bit capable.

Anyone who cares should check www.intel.com. It's what I did before
buying (I wanted virtualisation support).

And even then, the CPU can support virtualization and the BIOS doesn't.

For example, DELL has their own BIOS. That BIOS may allow
virtualization on some intel CPUs. It does not allow it on any AMD CPUs.

For example, my company is a DELL shop. (Not by my doing in any way)
My group has 4 DELL Inspiron 9400's. All were purchased in a relatively
short time period.

All Have the same BIOS version.
All have the same CPU model and part number.
3 of the four have the Virtual option in the BIOS.

We have several new AMD based Optiplex 740 systems.
All of them show the svm CPU flag.
None of them show the Virtual option in the BIOS.
All of them will run the kvm-amd module as shipped from the factory,
however it crashes when used.
All of the 740s report "Virtualization not supported in BIOS" and refuse
to run the kvm-amd module, AFTER the BIOS is set to factory defaults.

So it is still a 'buyer beware' market for virtualization.

DELL is totally unresponsive on this issue. We have the best support
contracts possible from DELL, and got "None of our engineers know
anything about that".

Good Luck!

Old 12-04-2007, 07:53 AM
John Summerfield

Phil Meyer wrote:

John Summerfield wrote:

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

Zhukov Pavel wrote:

I was reading the Fedora 8 documentation and came across section 3.2
that recommends that the x86_64 architecture to be used for the
Centrino

Core Duo processors.

Core Duo it's a x86 processor. it doesn't support x86_64.

Core 2 Duo it's a x86_64 and support 64bit technology.

My lappie has a Centrino Duo sticker on it, and was very happy running
the F8 X86_64 live DVD, so I would assume that your blanket statement
above needs some tweaking. Some Core Duo CPUs *are* 64-bit capable.

Anyone who cares should check www.intel.com. It's what I did before
buying (I wanted virtualisation support).

And even then, the CPU can support virtualization and the BIOS doesn't.

For example, DELL has their own BIOS. That BIOS may allow
virtualization on some intel CPUs. It does not allow it on any AMD CPUs.

If your CPU supports virtualisation and the BIOS does not, then check
for an upgrade. If there isn't one, call support.

<snip>

DELL is totally unresponsive on this issue. We have the best support
contracts possible from DELL, and got "None of our engineers know
anything about that".

Point them at the amd.com documentation. If needed, ask amd.com for
clarification (I did, got the answer).