Old 06-23-2008, 05:18 PM
"Richard Shaw"

Default Can't read/mount SD flash memory card in builtin reader.

I am having trouble getting Fedora 9 (x86_64 live cd) to read my SD
card using a built-in Ricoh MMC reader on an HP 8510 laptop (Core 2
Duo). I get mmcblk0 and mmcblk0p1 in /dev but any attempt to read the
card fails. I see an icon in Nautilus but after opening it and a brief
pause I get an error "Can't read superblock". Also, any attempt to
inspect the device in parted or fdisk also fail. They both complain
about lables but I'm not sure if they are talking about filesystem
labels or volume lables. I can't see why the latter would cause an
issue. I tried the mklabel command in parted setting it to msdos but
it couldn't complete... I'm in Windows XP right now and it's reading
it fine.

Along those lines, is it possible to get the UUID of a disk from windows?

Richard

Old 06-23-2008, 07:43 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Richard Shaw wrote:

I am having trouble getting Fedora 9 (x86_64 live cd) to read my SD
card using a built-in Ricoh MMC reader on an HP 8510 laptop (Core 2
Duo). I get mmcblk0 and mmcblk0p1 in /dev but any attempt to read the
card fails. I see an icon in Nautilus but after opening it and a brief
pause I get an error "Can't read superblock". Also, any attempt to
inspect the device in parted or fdisk also fail. They both complain
about lables but I'm not sure if they are talking about filesystem
labels or volume lables. I can't see why the latter would cause an
issue. I tried the mklabel command in parted setting it to msdos but
it couldn't complete... I'm in Windows XP right now and it's reading
it fine.

What do you get if you run "parted -l /dev/mmcblk0"?

What does running "lsmod | egrep 'mmc|ricoh|sdhci'" produce?

It sounds like the reader may be in the wrong mode. But my
experience is with the TI version of the built-in reader. It is also
possible that the ricoh_mmc module is not being loaded.

Mikkel

Old 06-23-2008, 08:00 PM
"Richard Shaw"

2008/6/23 Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com>:
> Richard Shaw wrote:
>>
>> I am having trouble getting Fedora 9 (x86_64 live cd) to read my SD
>> card using a built-in Ricoh MMC reader on an HP 8510 laptop (Core 2
>> Duo). I get mmcblk0 and mmcblk0p1 in /dev but any attempt to read the
>> card fails. I see an icon in Nautilus but after opening it and a brief
>> pause I get an error "Can't read superblock". Also, any attempt to
>> inspect the device in parted or fdisk also fail. They both complain
>> about lables but I'm not sure if they are talking about filesystem
>> labels or volume lables. I can't see why the latter would cause an
>> issue. I tried the mklabel command in parted setting it to msdos but
>> it couldn't complete... I'm in Windows XP right now and it's reading
>> it fine.
>>
> What do you get if you run "parted -l /dev/mmcblk0"?
>
> What does running "lsmod | egrep 'mmc|ricoh|sdhci'" produce?
>
> It sounds like the reader may be in the wrong mode. But my experience is
> with the TI version of the built-in reader. It is also possible that the
> ricoh_mmc module is not being loaded.
>
> Mikkel

I'll try those when I get home... I tried doing a modprobe ricoh_mmc
but I'm not very knowledgeable about the kernel and wasn't sure if I
should remove other modules first.Didn't see anything helpful in
/var/log/messages or dmesg.

Richard

Old 06-24-2008, 02:01 AM
"Richard Shaw"

2008/6/23 Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@infinity-ltd.com>:
> Richard Shaw wrote:
>>
>> I am having trouble getting Fedora 9 (x86_64 live cd) to read my SD
>> card using a built-in Ricoh MMC reader on an HP 8510 laptop (Core 2
>> Duo). I get mmcblk0 and mmcblk0p1 in /dev but any attempt to read the
>> card fails. I see an icon in Nautilus but after opening it and a brief
>> pause I get an error "Can't read superblock". Also, any attempt to
>> inspect the device in parted or fdisk also fail. They both complain
>> about lables but I'm not sure if they are talking about filesystem
>> labels or volume lables. I can't see why the latter would cause an
>> issue. I tried the mklabel command in parted setting it to msdos but
>> it couldn't complete... I'm in Windows XP right now and it's reading
>> it fine.
>>
> What do you get if you run "parted -l /dev/mmcblk0"?
>
> What does running "lsmod | egrep 'mmc|ricoh|sdhci'" produce?
>
> It sounds like the reader may be in the wrong mode. But my experience is
> with the TI version of the built-in reader. It is also possible that the
> ricoh_mmc module is not being loaded.
>
> Mikkel
> --

Well, now that it WORKS here's some info...

Output of partd -l /dev/mmcblk0:
Model: Unknown (unknown)
Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 1024MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 31.7kB 1024MB 1024MB primary fat16 boot

[root@localhost fedora]# /sbin/lsmod | egrep 'mmc|ricoh|sdhci'
mmc_block 18688 2
ricoh_mmc 12544 0
sdhci 23564 0
mmc_core 52800 2 mmc_block,sdhci

I don't remember ricoh_mmc loading last time... The only thing I can
think of that I did differently was boot up with the media in the
slot... must have made it load the ricoh_mmc module.

Thanks,

Richard

Old 10-27-2008, 10:33 AM
lux

I am having trouble getting Fedora 9 (x86_64 live cd) to read my SD

card using a built-in Ricoh MMC reader on an HP 8510 laptop (Core 2

Duo). I get mmcblk0 and mmcblk0p1 in /dev but any attempt to read the

card fails. I see an icon in Nautilus but after opening it and a brief

pause I get an error "Can't read superblock". Also, any attempt to

inspect the device in parted or fdisk also fail. They both complain

about lables but I'm not sure if they are talking about filesystem

labels or volume lables. I can't see why the latter would cause an

issue. I tried the mklabel command in parted setting it to msdos but

it couldn't complete... I'm in Windows XP right now and it's reading

it fine.

Along those lines, is it possible to get the UUID of a disk from windows?

I have similar problem on HPnx500 with a built-in sd card reader

After insert sd card, dmesg only show

tifm_core: MMC/SD card detected in socket 0:0

nothing happening in /dev

here is output of* lsmod|egrep 'sd|timf'

sdhci***************** 17540* 0
tifm_sd*************** 12552* 0
mmc_core************** 40604* 2 sdhci,tifm_sd
tifm_core************* 10268* 3 tifm_ms,tifm_sd,tifm_7xx1

sd_mod**************** 26008* 5
scsi_mod************* 122876* 4 usb_storage,sg,libata,sd_mod

how to get this fixed?

*

Richard

Old 10-27-2008, 02:57 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

lux wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 4:18 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com
> <mailto:hobbes1069@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I am having trouble getting Fedora 9 (x86_64 live cd) to read my SD
> card using a built-in Ricoh MMC reader on an HP 8510 laptop (Core 2
> Duo). I get mmcblk0 and mmcblk0p1 in /dev but any attempt to read the
> card fails. I see an icon in Nautilus but after opening it and a brief
> pause I get an error "Can't read superblock". Also, any attempt to
> inspect the device in parted or fdisk also fail. They both complain
> about lables but I'm not sure if they are talking about filesystem
> labels or volume lables. I can't see why the latter would cause an
> issue. I tried the mklabel command in parted setting it to msdos but
> it couldn't complete... I'm in Windows XP right now and it's reading
> it fine.
>
> Along those lines, is it possible to get the UUID of a disk from
> windows?

It sounds like it is trying to mount the card as a ext2 file system.
I am not sure why that is. As far as the labels, you need to copy
the exact message - I don't think it is talking about file system
labels.

Dumb question - when you are trying to use fdisk, are you using
mmcblk0 or mmcblk0p1? You should be using mmcblk0.

> I have similar problem on HPnx500 with a built-in sd card reader
>
> After insert sd card, dmesg only show
>
> tifm_core: MMC/SD card detected in socket 0:0
>
> nothing happening in /dev
>
> here is output of lsmod|egrep 'sd|timf'
>

> sdhci 17540 0
> tifm_sd 12552 0
> mmc_core 40604 2 sdhci,tifm_sd
> tifm_core 10268 3 tifm_ms,tifm_sd,tifm_7xx1
> sd_mod 26008 5
> scsi_mod 122876 4 usb_storage,sg,libata,sd_mod
>

> how to get this fixed?

You have a different chip set from the OP - you have the TI chip
set, and he has the Ricoh chip set. They use different drivers. I am
not sure why you are having problems with the TI drivers - they have
been working correctly in my Toshiba laptop. I forget the first
kernel that they started working without tweaking the registers
before loading the modules, but I think it was in FC6. You should
file a bug report because it may be something to your specific setup
and it will probably not be fixed otherwise - the developers do not
know there is a problem if the people it is not working for do not
file a bug report.

Mikkel

Old 10-27-2008, 03:29 PM
Linuxguy123

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 10:57 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> lux wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 4:18 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com
> > <mailto:hobbes1069@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > I am having trouble getting Fedora 9 (x86_64 live cd) to read my SD
> > card using a built-in Ricoh MMC reader on an HP 8510 laptop (Core 2
> > Duo). I get mmcblk0 and mmcblk0p1 in /dev but any attempt to read the
> > card fails.

I have an HP hdx9494 (Dragon). I am running 32 bit F8 with all the
applied updates.

/sbin/lspci:

02:06.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro
Host Adapter (rev 22)
02:06.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev
12)
02:06.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host
Adapter (rev 12)
02:06.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev
ff)

$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.26.6-49.fc8 #1 SMP Fri Oct 17 15:59:36
EDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

My system mounts, reads and writes SD cards correctly, at least those
that are formatted FAT32. I haven't tried other types. It does this in
KDE. I haven't tried gnome.

The thing about Live CDs is that they don't use the latest available
kernels. They usually use the kernel that was available at the time the
distro shipped. A newer kernel may help your situation, or it may not.

Good luck.