Old 06-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Jim

Default Firefox3 > Send Link > won't use Thunderbird

Robin Laing wrote:

Jim wrote:

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 14:21 -0400, Jim wrote:

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 12:04 -0400, Jim wrote:

Fc8, Firefox 3
When using File > Send Link in Firefox 2 it would open
Thunderbird to send link, but in Firefox3 the feature doesn't work.
In /,mozilla/firefox/default/user.js file, to select thunderbird,
but it won't work in Firefox 3.

Below is contents of user.js

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto","/usr/bin/thunderbird");

user_pref("browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs" , true);

What's different in FF3 ??

AFAIK this is a GTK setting, not specific to Firefox (FF uses
GTK). Try
setting TB in the Gnome Preferred Applications dialogue. If you
use KDE,

run gnome-control-center to get to it.

poc

Sorry about that, I'am running KDE and I don't have

gnome-control-center installed, do you know howto do this in KDE ?
Thanks for your responds.

No I don't, but note that FF is a GTK application compiled with GTK
libraries so KDE has no direct way of controlling it. You could
probably

edit the gconf files directly, but I don't recommend it. Just run "yum
install control-center". It won't get in the way of using KDE.

poc

Boy that sure is a weird way of having to set it up, but that did
the trick , Thanks for the help
Even tho I'm not a Gnome user, I think I'll keep that
Gnome-control-center.

Jim

On F8 I am using the REMI version of Thunderbird and FF3 with no
issues on KDE.

Yeah I found that out when I installed it on my brother's x86_64
computer last night, everything installed without a hitch.
But for some reason it didn't go that easy on my x86_64 box. But one
thing I did find out , by having to install
Gnome-control-center or rpm "control-center" to setup Thunderbird as
mail client. That the Gnome-control-center
is very helpful in KDE, It closely knitted to Fedora, than KDE's
Control Center is. So I now have a new Icon on my Desktop.
Please don't tell my KDE friends that I found a app. in Gnome that is
better than in KDE.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:27 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 12:29 -0400, Jim wrote:
> Robin Laing wrote:
> > Jim wrote:

> >> Boy that sure is a weird way of having to set it up, but that did
> >> the trick , Thanks for the help
> >> Even tho I'm not a Gnome user, I think I'll keep that
> >> Gnome-control-center.
> >> Jim
> >>

> > On F8 I am using the REMI version of Thunderbird and FF3 with no
> > issues on KDE.
> >
> Yeah I found that out when I installed it on my brother's x86_64
> computer last night, everything installed without a hitch.
> But for some reason it didn't go that easy on my x86_64 box. But one
> thing I did find out , by having to install
> Gnome-control-center or rpm "control-center" to setup Thunderbird as
> mail client. That the Gnome-control-center
> is very helpful in KDE, It closely knitted to Fedora, than KDE's
> Control Center is. So I now have a new Icon on my Desktop.
> Please don't tell my KDE friends that I found a app. in Gnome that is
> better than in KDE.

It has nothing to do with being "better". As I already said, Firefox is
a Gnome application and pays attention to the Gconf database (Gnome's
equivalent of the Windows Registry). KDE uses a completely different
system for storing configuration info. You need the Gnome tools for some
Gnome stuff and the KDE tools for some KDE stuff.

poc

Old 06-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Jim

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

[...]

Well !!, Then I got the best of both worlds.