Old 06-23-2008, 03:47 AM
"Sriram Bhamidipati"

Default having trouble with JRE

Hi folks
I am new to Java installation as i was a windows user and I didnt install java before.
I am now using Fedora8 and trying to get JRE running Java applets launched via firefox3

I havent been successful, despite installing jre package using both rpm and yum installers couple of times.

jre-6u6-linux-i586.rpm

i have the following output of java version:

[root@localhost opt]# java -version
java version "1.6.0_06"

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 10.0-b22, mixed mode, sharing)
I see that the java is installed in below folder:
[root@localhost bin]# pwd
/usr/java/latest/bin

I tried the below executable:
[root@localhost bin]# ./java_vm

java_vm process: You need to set both JAVA_HOME and PLUGIN_HOME
[root@localhost bin]#

what should the above variables set to? Why yum installation take care of this? I* cant find the relevant documentation

Can some one help me go thru steps
Thanks in advance!
---Sriram

Old 06-23-2008, 04:30 AM
Mike Chambers

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 09:17 +0530, Sriram Bhamidipati wrote:
> Hi folks
> I am new to Java installation as i was a windows user and I didnt
> install java before.
> I am now using Fedora8 and trying to get JRE running Java applets
> launched via firefox3

First off, even after installing the rpm, you still have to create a
link to your plugins dir. Locate your libjavaplugin.so file and create
a link as below..

link -s /path/to/libjavaplugin.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/.

Or, you could just install the java-1.7.0-icedtea-plugin package and get
the free version of it that works out of the box (or as installed).

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302@fedoraproject.org

Old 06-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Knute Johnson

Sriram Bhamidipati wrote:

[...]

Please go to this website for detailed instructions on how to install
Sun's Java on Fedora 8.

http://rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com/sun-java-on-F8.html

You will need to install the complete JDK instead of just the JRE but
that gives you the ability to compile too.

--

Knute Johnson
linux@www.knutejohnson.com