Old 06-23-2008, 12:15 AM
"Nat Gross"

Default F8 All multi media is TRIPLE SPEED!

Running Fedora 8 32 bit on an Intel 1.6ghz. (This box has run Fedora
since FC Test 3.) (Latest yum updates.)
About 2 weeks ago, my sound/video system started playing back
everything at double-triple speed!
Actually video seems like double speed but audio is like 3-4x!
Over the time in years from FC3, 4, 5, 6, 8, there have been various
multimedia engines installed on this box.
I have no idea where to start!
Any idea please?

Thanks
nat

Old 06-23-2008, 06:03 AM
wwp

Hello Nat,

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 20:15:06 -0400 "Nat Gross" <nat101l@gmail.com> wrote:

> Running Fedora 8 32 bit on an Intel 1.6ghz. (This box has run Fedora
> since FC Test 3.) (Latest yum updates.)
> About 2 weeks ago, my sound/video system started playing back
> everything at double-triple speed!
>
> Actually video seems like double speed but audio is like 3-4x!
> Over the time in years from FC3, 4, 5, 6, 8, there have been various
> multimedia engines installed on this box.
> I have no idea where to start!
> Any idea please?

Same here but only few .wav files are impacted, I noticed this change
after a yum update (kerbel + alsa 1.0.16? + reboot), approx. two weeks
ago.

wwp

Old 06-23-2008, 06:23 AM
Ric Moore

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 20:15 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:
> Running Fedora 8 32 bit on an Intel 1.6ghz. (This box has run Fedora
> since FC Test 3.) (Latest yum updates.)
> About 2 weeks ago, my sound/video system started playing back
> everything at double-triple speed!
> Actually video seems like double speed but audio is like 3-4x!
> Over the time in years from FC3, 4, 5, 6, 8, there have been various
> multimedia engines installed on this box.
> I have no idea where to start!
> Any idea please?

Shoot it, to put it out of it's misery, Nat.

I also have no idea where to start, if it's -all- playback apps. If it's
just one or two that are related, there must be something configured
very wrongly in their setup.

I know xine and others can fast speed forward through key
bindings ...single key presses. Like the right arrow key, it speeds
things up in Xine. Have you installed a new keyboard, new mouse or some
Croatian version of ASCII? I know of nothing in KDE or Gnome to have
that effect, system wide.

New scroll mouse? Try turning the scroll down or up to see if it has
effect? Slap some keys randomly? (This could get really good!)
<chuckles>

Call 911 to have an ambulance come and use the "Jaws of Life" on the
cabinet to let the demon out?

Reverse the speakers so it would run slower? If everything starts
running backwards, you're getting closer. Adjust your tin foil, too.

If worse comes to worse, get a copy of "What the "BLEEP!" do we know"
and, through the power of your "intentionality", either bend the
computer to your will by your influence on the electrons on the system
buss, or speed yourself up 2X. Then, either way, you will become one
with the computer and be in sync so that the audio/video which now runs
within the influence of your intentionality.

Or, the computer's ...whichever one of you wins out. Maybe the rest of
us have already become merged (noticing nothing abnormal) and you're
just the last affected by the "intentionality" of Fedora and, most
likely, KDE4 or PulseAudio. Or ...maybe you slowed down.

I'm adding more tin-foil before it happens to me.

More Human than Hu-man. Computer Zombie Ric
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_AaiBfLn5VE

p/s your problem is so weird that I hope you don't mind me having some
fun with it. It's late, Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
https://oar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 336-254-1339

Old 06-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 20:15:06 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:

> Running Fedora 8 32 bit on an Intel 1.6ghz. (This box has run Fedora
> since FC Test 3.) (Latest yum updates.)
> About 2 weeks ago, my sound/video system started playing back
> everything at double-triple speed!
> Actually video seems like double speed but audio is like 3-4x!
> Over the time in years from FC3, 4, 5, 6, 8, there have been various
> multimedia engines installed on this box.
> I have no idea where to start!
> Any idea please?

Try lower-level tools like "aplay" to play a test WAV file.

$ rpm -qf $(which aplay)
alsa-utils-1.0.16-3.fc8

Disable pulseaudio if it is running (the process has the same name), then
try again. If everything is still 3-4x faster, boot into the previous
kernel version. That way you may be able to find out that something
in ALSA in the kernel causes these problems.

--
Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) - Linux 2.6.23.15-137.fc8
loadavg: 1.78 1.28 1.19

Old 06-23-2008, 03:50 PM
"Nat Gross"

2008/6/23 wwp <subscript@free.fr>:
> Hello Nat,
>

> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 20:15:06 -0400 "Nat Gross" <nat101l@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Running Fedora 8 32 bit on an Intel 1.6ghz. (This box has run Fedora
>> since FC Test 3.) (Latest yum updates.)
>> About 2 weeks ago, my sound/video system started playing back
>> everything at double-triple speed!
>>
>> Actually video seems like double speed but audio is like 3-4x!
>> Over the time in years from FC3, 4, 5, 6, 8, there have been various
>> multimedia engines installed on this box.
>> I have no idea where to start!
>> Any idea please?
>
> Same here but only few .wav files are impacted, I noticed this change
> after a yum update (kerbel + alsa 1.0.16? + reboot), approx. two weeks
> ago.

It happens in ALL apps, including Flash media (mlb, youtube, cbs/nbc),
as well as offline programs including RealPlayer, Kplayer, and others.
It happens in kde and gnome.

I don't think I'll try Rick Moore's advice<g> but I'll try Micheal's ideas.
nat
Hey Rick M. Was your advice, um.. SOUND advice?

Old 06-23-2008, 04:09 PM
wwp

Hello Nat,

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:50:07 -0400 "Nat Gross" <nat101l@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/6/23 wwp <subscript@free.fr>:
> > Hello Nat,
> >

> > On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 20:15:06 -0400 "Nat Gross" <nat101l@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Running Fedora 8 32 bit on an Intel 1.6ghz. (This box has run Fedora
> >> since FC Test 3.) (Latest yum updates.)
> >> About 2 weeks ago, my sound/video system started playing back
> >> everything at double-triple speed!
> >>
> >> Actually video seems like double speed but audio is like 3-4x!
> >> Over the time in years from FC3, 4, 5, 6, 8, there have been various
> >> multimedia engines installed on this box.
> >> I have no idea where to start!
> >> Any idea please?
> >
> > Same here but only few .wav files are impacted, I noticed this change
> > after a yum update (kerbel + alsa 1.0.16? + reboot), approx. two weeks
> > ago.
> >
> It happens in ALL apps, including Flash media (mlb, youtube, cbs/nbc),
> as well as offline programs including RealPlayer, Kplayer, and others.
> It happens in kde and gnome.
>
> I don't think I'll try Rick Moore's advice<g> but I'll try Micheal's ideas.
> nat
> Hey Rick M. Was your advice, um.. SOUND advice?

IMO, Ric's messages was more noise than sound . Michael's suggestion
sounds (!) valuable even for my own problem.

wwp

Old 06-23-2008, 04:20 PM
"Nat Gross"

2008/6/23 wwp <subscript@free.fr>:
> Hello Nat,
>

> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:50:07 -0400 "Nat Gross" <nat101l@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2008/6/23 wwp <subscript@free.fr>:

>> > Same here but only few .wav files are impacted, I noticed this change
>> > after a yum update (kerbel + alsa 1.0.16? + reboot), approx. two weeks
>> > ago.
>> >
>> It happens in ALL apps, including Flash media (mlb, youtube, cbs/nbc),
>> as well as offline programs including RealPlayer, Kplayer, and others.
>> It happens in kde and gnome.
>>
>> I don't think I'll try Rick Moore's advice<g> but I'll try Micheal's ideas.
>> nat
>> Hey Rick M. Was your advice, um.. SOUND advice?
>
> IMO, Ric's messages was more noise than sound . Michael's suggestion
> sounds (!) valuable even for my own problem.

Ok. I don't have pulseaudio loaded. I tried loading it and nothing changed.
With Aplay, I'm having a problem finding test media for it. Any wav
file I threw at it,
it refused to play because:
aplay: test_wavefile:749: can't play not PCM-coded WAVE-files

nat

Old 06-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:20:54 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:

> Ok. I don't have pulseaudio loaded. I tried loading it and nothing changed.
> With Aplay, I'm having a problem finding test media for it. Any wav
> file I threw at it,
> it refused to play because:
> aplay: test_wavefile:749: can't play not PCM-coded WAVE-files

Then they used Microsoft ADPCM encoding. You could still play
or convert them with "sox" (and "play") instead.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:45 PM
"Nat Gross"

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:20:54 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:
>
>> Ok. I don't have pulseaudio loaded. I tried loading it and nothing changed.
>> With Aplay, I'm having a problem finding test media for it. Any wav
>> file I threw at it,
>> it refused to play because:
>> aplay: test_wavefile:749: can't play not PCM-coded WAVE-files
>
> Then they used Microsoft ADPCM encoding. You could still play
> or convert them with "sox" (and "play") instead.

Hey. Thanks for introducing me to sox. I wish I had known such a thing existed
and I will need it in the future. But, it is too complex for me right now just
to play something with it.

nat

Old 06-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:45:30 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:20:54 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:
> >
> >> Ok. I don't have pulseaudio loaded. I tried loading it and nothing changed.
> >> With Aplay, I'm having a problem finding test media for it. Any wav
> >> file I threw at it,
> >> it refused to play because:
> >> aplay: test_wavefile:749: can't play not PCM-coded WAVE-files
> >
> > Then they used Microsoft ADPCM encoding. You could still play
> > or convert them with "sox" (and "play") instead.
>
> Hey. Thanks for introducing me to sox. I wish I had known such a thing existed
> and I will need it in the future. But, it is too complex for me right now just
> to play something with it.

play filename

is all you need. "play" is sox's ALSA Library based command-line player.

$ rpm -qf $(which play)
sox-13.0.0-3.fc8