Old 06-24-2008, 03:27 AM
Tim

Default F8 All multi media is TRIPLE SPEED!

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 21:03 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> Bring up a clock app: Is the second hand going aound triple speed?
> I had a virtual machine do that on me once, but it was more than
> triple speed, it was near infinite speed - I couldn't login because
> the password prompt would time out faster than I could type the
> password, and the screen would go blank in about 1/2 second because
> the power saver would come on :-).

If you couldn't log in, how did you bring up the clock?

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:08 AM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 21:22 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

> > If the OP has more than one kernel installed, maybe try using the older one?
> I have had a few kernel upgrades since and I think my config keeps
> only 3 kernels around.
> So, I ain't rolling back a kernel at this stage. (It started a few weeks ago.)

Well, if you only have several kernels still loaded, just choose the
oldest one to boot on. See if that makes any difference. Trouble
shooting with a shotgun here.

Maybe some one more knowledgeable with kernel parameters could hand you
something to append to the end of the kernel load string, during the
grub boot, to throttle the cpu? Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
https://oar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 336-254-1339

Old 06-24-2008, 08:15 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:37:27 -0700, Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:

> > yep. Still about triple speed.
> > Remember the vinyl records? Sounds like a 33 being played at 78. (If I
> > remember the numbers)
>
> Curious, is cpuspeed active?
>
> Since cpuspeed (see also powernow) can tinker with the processor's clock speed it is 'possible' but unlikely
> that the audio code woke up with the CPU running at a low power slow speed and made timing decisions that mismatch the
> CPU running at full speed.

Unlikely IMO. The audio chip would still process sample data at the
frequency it is set up by the driver to play with. On the contrary, if
there's a bug in the kernel driver or an incompatibility in alsa lib, the
result could be that 44.1 kHz sample data are played at 96 kHz, for
example.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Zoltan Boszormenyi

Michael Schwendt írta:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:37:27 -0700, Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
>

>>> yep. Still about triple speed.
>>> Remember the vinyl records? Sounds like a 33 being played at 78. (If I
>>> remember the numbers)
>>>
>> Curious, is cpuspeed active?
>>
>> Since cpuspeed (see also powernow) can tinker with the processor's clock speed it is 'possible' but unlikely
>> that the audio code woke up with the CPU running at a low power slow speed and made timing decisions that mismatch the
>> CPU running at full speed.
>>

> Unlikely IMO. The audio chip would still process sample data at the
> frequency it is set up by the driver to play with. On the contrary, if
> there's a bug in the kernel driver or an incompatibility in alsa lib, the
> result could be that 44.1 kHz sample data are played at 96 kHz, for
> example.

I was reading this thread and I wanted to say I have a similar problem
with a twist.
I am running F9/x86-64 on my main machine, it doesn't have problems with
sound.
I am also running a 32-bit LTSP5 thin client, everything is set up
according to
the Fedora k12linux/ltsp docs. The client machine is a Compaq Deskpro EN
with PIII/866 CPU. And everything I tried on the thin client (software
running
on the 64-bit machine actually, sound is transferred to the client's
pulseaudio
daemon) is played quicker. Youtube videos keep the video and sound in sync,
so the video as a whole is played faster. Some other software that prefers
syncing audio to the video speed produce dropouts in the sound.
My son especially notices it in ScummVM...
Watching time go on the thin client console (Ctrl-Alt-F2) didn't show
anything suspicious. One second seems to be really one second and
installing ntpdate/ntpd into the thin client didn't change the faster sound.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi

Old 06-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Tom Horsley

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:57:38 +0930
Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> If you couldn't log in, how did you bring up the clock?

I eventually found that some combination of kernel options
like noacpi and other "dumb thing down" options made it
work normally, at which point I was able to install
some ssh public keys in a local user, then get those
keys loaded in ssh-agent so no interaction was required to
login qwhen it was in hyperspeed mode :-).

Old 06-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Zoltan Boszormenyi

Zoltan Boszormenyi írta:
> Michael Schwendt írta:

>>> Curious, is cpuspeed active?
>>>
>>> Since cpuspeed (see also powernow) can tinker with the processor's clock speed it is 'possible' but unlikely
>>> that the audio code woke up with the CPU running at a low power slow speed and made timing decisions that mismatch the
>>> CPU running at full speed.
>>>

>> Unlikely IMO. The audio chip would still process sample data at the
>> frequency it is set up by the driver to play with. On the contrary, if
>> there's a bug in the kernel driver or an incompatibility in alsa lib, the
>> result could be that 44.1 kHz sample data are played at 96 kHz, for
>> example.
>>

> I was reading this thread and I wanted to say I have a similar problem
> with a twist.
> I am running F9/x86-64 on my main machine, it doesn't have problems with
> sound.
> I am also running a 32-bit LTSP5 thin client, everything is set up
> according to
> the Fedora k12linux/ltsp docs. The client machine is a Compaq Deskpro EN
> with PIII/866 CPU. And everything I tried on the thin client (software
> running
> on the 64-bit machine actually, sound is transferred to the client's
> pulseaudio
> daemon) is played quicker. Youtube videos keep the video and sound in sync,
> so the video as a whole is played faster. Some other software that prefers
> syncing audio to the video speed produce dropouts in the sound.
> My son especially notices it in ScummVM...
> Watching time go on the thin client console (Ctrl-Alt-F2) didn't show
> anything suspicious. One second seems to be really one second and
> installing ntpdate/ntpd into the thin client didn't change the faster sound.

Talking to myself, it seems. :-)
The solution for me on the thin client was to add a module option:

[root@db00 etc]# pwd
/opt/ltsp/i386/etc
[root@db00 etc]# cat modprobe.conf
options snd-intel8x0 ac97_clock=44100

Old 07-19-2008, 03:39 AM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Ric Moore wrote:

If the OP has more than one kernel installed, maybe try using the older one?

I have had a few kernel upgrades since and I think my config keeps
only 3 kernels around.
So, I ain't rolling back a kernel at this stage. (It started a few weeks ago.)

Well, if you only have several kernels still loaded, just choose the
oldest one to boot on. See if that makes any difference. Trouble
shooting with a shotgun here.

Maybe some one more knowledgeable with kernel parameters could hand you
something to append to the end of the kernel load string, during the
grub boot, to throttle the cpu? Ric

Changing kernel versions didn't help for me. Funny thing - I changed
motherboards and now it is back to normal. I am not sure if it was
changing from the snd-intel8x0 driver to the snd-atiixp driver, or
the fact that the system recalculated something like CPU delay. (I
forget the exact message.)

Mikkel