Old 06-23-2008, 06:46 PM
"Nat Gross"

Default F8 All multi media is TRIPLE SPEED!

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:45:30 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:

>> > Then they used Microsoft ADPCM encoding. You could still play
>> > or convert them with "sox" (and "play") instead.
>>
>> Hey. Thanks for introducing me to sox. I wish I had known such a thing existed
>> and I will need it in the future. But, it is too complex for me right now just
>> to play something with it.
>
> play filename

yep. Still about triple speed.
Remember the vinyl records? Sounds like a 33 being played at 78. (If I
remember the numbers)

Old 06-23-2008, 11:37 PM
"Nifty Hat Mitch"

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:46:29 -0700, Nat Gross <nat101l@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hey. Thanks for introducing me to sox. I wish I had known such a thing existed
>>> and I will need it in the future. But, it is too complex for me right now just
>>> to play something with it.
>>
>> play filename
>
> yep. Still about triple speed.
> Remember the vinyl records? Sounds like a 33 being played at 78. (If I
> remember the numbers)

Curious, is cpuspeed active?

Since cpuspeed (see also powernow) can tinker with the processor's clock speed it is 'possible' but unlikely
that the audio code woke up with the CPU running at a low power slow speed and made timing decisions that mismatch the
CPU running at full speed.

--
Nifty Hat Mitch
T o m M i t c h e l l

Old 06-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 11:50 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:
> 2008/6/23 wwp <subscript@free.fr>:
> > Hello Nat,
> >

> > On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 20:15:06 -0400 "Nat Gross" <nat101l@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Running Fedora 8 32 bit on an Intel 1.6ghz. (This box has run Fedora
> >> since FC Test 3.) (Latest yum updates.)
> >> About 2 weeks ago, my sound/video system started playing back
> >> everything at double-triple speed!
> >>
> >> Actually video seems like double speed but audio is like 3-4x!
> >> Over the time in years from FC3, 4, 5, 6, 8, there have been various
> >> multimedia engines installed on this box.
> >> I have no idea where to start!
> >> Any idea please?
> >
> > Same here but only few .wav files are impacted, I noticed this change
> > after a yum update (kerbel + alsa 1.0.16? + reboot), approx. two weeks
> > ago.
> >
> It happens in ALL apps, including Flash media (mlb, youtube, cbs/nbc),
> as well as offline programs including RealPlayer, Kplayer, and others.
> It happens in kde and gnome.
>
> I don't think I'll try Rick Moore's advice<g> but I'll try Micheal's ideas.
> nat
> Hey Rick M. Was your advice, um.. SOUND advice?

Drat, I forgot to mention waving a chicken foot at it. (from Caldera
List days) At 4AM that's what you get. Especially when I'm backing up my
system to a pile of 20 gig harddrives. It's amazing the pile of pure
crap that can accumulate that you don't want to part with.

Especially all the emails from this list, youtube videos, space games,
databases, project files, mp3's, pictures, postcards, my Nigerian Bride
collection ("Before I send the money can you send me more pics?"),
Family Tree stuff, Non-Profit stuff, Wonderland Devel files, Java files
out the Yin Yang. God only knows what I'll forget. Yikes! The web
pages!! Ohmigosh, gotta go. <chuckles> Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
https://oar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 336-254-1339

Old 06-24-2008, 12:30 AM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 18:09 +0200, wwp wrote:
> Hello Nat,
>

> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:50:07 -0400 "Nat Gross" <nat101l@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 2008/6/23 wwp <subscript@free.fr>:

> > > Same here but only few .wav files are impacted, I noticed this change
> > > after a yum update (kerbel + alsa 1.0.16? + reboot), approx. two weeks
> > > ago.
> > >
> > It happens in ALL apps, including Flash media (mlb, youtube, cbs/nbc),
> > as well as offline programs including RealPlayer, Kplayer, and others.
> > It happens in kde and gnome.
> >
> > I don't think I'll try Rick Moore's advice<g> but I'll try Micheal's ideas.
> > nat
> > Hey Rick M. Was your advice, um.. SOUND advice?
>
> IMO, Ric's messages was more noise than sound . Michael's suggestion
> sounds (!) valuable even for my own problem.

Careful, I could use my "Intentionality" on you and wreck your hard
drive across time and space. Ric

Old 06-24-2008, 12:40 AM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 11:09 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 20:15:06 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:
>
> > Running Fedora 8 32 bit on an Intel 1.6ghz. (This box has run Fedora
> > since FC Test 3.) (Latest yum updates.)
> > About 2 weeks ago, my sound/video system started playing back
> > everything at double-triple speed!
> > Actually video seems like double speed but audio is like 3-4x!
> > Over the time in years from FC3, 4, 5, 6, 8, there have been various
> > multimedia engines installed on this box.
> > I have no idea where to start!
> > Any idea please?
>
> Try lower-level tools like "aplay" to play a test WAV file.
>
> $ rpm -qf $(which aplay)
> alsa-utils-1.0.16-3.fc8
>
> Disable pulseaudio if it is running (the process has the same name), then
> try again. If everything is still 3-4x faster, boot into the previous
> kernel version. That way you may be able to find out that something
> in ALSA in the kernel causes these problems.

merit. That would be about all that it could be?? Is this a notebook?
For the life of me I cannot think of anything that would do this across
the board of all the various "players" of sound or video. I could see
something mis-configured in Xine causing the problem, but mplayer
wouldn't duplicate that with a different playback scheme of keyboard
bindings and setup files.

If the OP has more than one kernel installed, maybe try using the older
one? In my years, I've never heard of this one. And, is this just
happening to a few homebrew audio/video files or all audio/video files?
Like it you went to youtube, are their files playing at a higher than
normal speed? There's gotta be something somewhere to use to narrow down
the problem. You would hope, that is. Ric

Old 06-24-2008, 01:03 AM
Tom Horsley

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 20:40:36 -0400
Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

> merit.

Bring up a clock app: Is the second hand going aound triple speed?
I had a virtual machine do that on me once, but it was more than
triple speed, it was near infinite speed - I couldn't login because
the password prompt would time out faster than I could type the
password, and the screen would go blank in about 1/2 second because
the power saver would come on :-).

Old 06-24-2008, 01:14 AM
"Nat Gross"

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 7:37 PM, Nifty Hat Mitch <nifty.hat@niftyegg.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:46:29 -0700, Nat Gross <nat101l@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> play filename
>>
>> yep. Still about triple speed.
>> Remember the vinyl records? Sounds like a 33 being played at 78. (If I
>> remember the numbers)
>
> Curious, is cpuspeed active?
>
> Since cpuspeed (see also powernow) can tinker with the processor's clock speed it is 'possible' but unlikely
> that the audio code woke up with the CPU running at a low power slow speed and made timing decisions that mismatch > > the CPU running at full speed.
cpuspeed is not active. Activating it, did not change anything either.
nat

Old 06-24-2008, 01:22 AM
"Nat Gross"

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 11:09 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 20:15:06 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:
>>
>> > Running Fedora 8 32 bit on an Intel 1.6ghz. (This box has run Fedora
>> > since FC Test 3.) (Latest yum updates.)
>> > About 2 weeks ago, my sound/video system started playing back
>> > everything at double-triple speed!
>> > Actually video seems like double speed but audio is like 3-4x!
>> > Over the time in years from FC3, 4, 5, 6, 8, there have been various
>> > multimedia engines installed on this box.
>> > I have no idea where to start!
>> > Any idea please?
>>
>> Try lower-level tools like "aplay" to play a test WAV file.
>>
>> $ rpm -qf $(which aplay)
>> alsa-utils-1.0.16-3.fc8
>>
>> Disable pulseaudio if it is running (the process has the same name), then
>> try again. If everything is still 3-4x faster, boot into the previous
>> kernel version. That way you may be able to find out that something
>> in ALSA in the kernel causes these problems.

> merit. That would be about all that it could be?? Is this a notebook?
Not a notebook. A Dell 1.6ghz desktop with 1 gig ram, 32 bit system.

> For the life of me I cannot think of anything that would do this across
> the board of all the various "players" of sound or video. I could see
> something mis-configured in Xine causing the problem, but mplayer
> wouldn't duplicate that with a different playback scheme of keyboard
> bindings and setup files.
>
> If the OP has more than one kernel installed, maybe try using the older one?
I have had a few kernel upgrades since and I think my config keeps
only 3 kernels around.
So, I ain't rolling back a kernel at this stage. (It started a few weeks ago.)

>In my years, I've never heard of this one. And, is this just
> happening to a few homebrew audio/video files or all audio/video files?
> Like it you went to youtube, are their files playing at a higher than
> normal speed? There's gotta be something somewhere to use to narrow down
> the problem. You would hope, that is. Ric

ALL audio video files. Except that the video is ONLY 1.8x-2.5x
increase and audio
is 2x-4x.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:24 AM
"Nat Gross"

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 9:03 PM, Tom Horsley <tom.horsley@att.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 20:40:36 -0400
> Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

>> merit.
>
> Bring up a clock app: Is the second hand going aound triple speed?
> I had a virtual machine do that on me once, but it was more than
> triple speed, it was near infinite speed - I couldn't login because
> the password prompt would time out faster than I could type the
> password, and the screen would go blank in about 1/2 second because
> the power saver would come on :-).

Digital and analog clocks (with seconds) working just fine, as is
everything else, except multimedia.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:01 AM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Ric Moore wrote:

merit. That would be about all that it could be?? Is this a notebook?
For the life of me I cannot think of anything that would do this across
the board of all the various "players" of sound or video. I could see
something mis-configured in Xine causing the problem, but mplayer
wouldn't duplicate that with a different playback scheme of keyboard
bindings and setup files.

If the OP has more than one kernel installed, maybe try using the older
one? In my years, I've never heard of this one. And, is this just
happening to a few homebrew audio/video files or all audio/video files?
Like it you went to youtube, are their files playing at a higher than
normal speed? There's gotta be something somewhere to use to narrow down
the problem. You would hope, that is. Ric

It is happening on my desktop with the 2.6.25.4-10.fc8 kernel, no
CPU speed and a Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.50GHz CPU.

Mikkel