-   -   Linux Startup (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/11159-linux-startup.html)

12-03-2007 12:37 PM

Linux Startup

I have a program I want started at system startup time, and also monitored so if it dies it will be restarted.
I see two options but problems with both:

1) Put it into /etc/inittab

**** This would work, EXCEPT I need to do some stuff first.* I need to do a cd, and add some stuff to the
***** PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.* And I can't do (as far as I can tell, as I tried):

*** *** x:respawn:cd /root/inittab; LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$PWD";./Vms

***** I think you have to run from root

2) Put into /etc/rc*.d

**** Then I could do all the path setup, etc, but how do I get it to respawn if it somehow dies?

"Mikkel L. Ellertson" 12-03-2007 01:46 PM

Linux Startup

tony.chamberlain@lemko.com wrote:

> I have a program I want started at system startup time, and also
> monitored so if it dies it will be restarted.
> I see two options but problems with both:
>

> 1) Put it into /etc/inittab
>
> This would work, EXCEPT I need to do some stuff first. I need to
> do a cd, and add some stuff to the
> PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH. And I can't do (as far as I can tell,
> as I tried):
>
> x:respawn:cd /root/inittab;
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$PWD";./Vms
>
> I think you have to run from root
>

> 2) Put into /etc/rc*.d
>
> Then I could do all the path setup, etc, but how do I get it to
> respawn if it somehow dies?

Try putting the entire sequence in quotes. I am not sure it will
work, but I know that if you don't, everything after the space is
passed to the first command as parameters. If that does not work,
put it in a script, and run the script. As long as the script does
not exit, it will be fine.

Mikkel