FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-22-2008, 08:03 PM
"Mark Haney"
 
Default Wireless problems.

I've had this F8 box working perfectly for the last 4 months or so and
for some reason now (and I assume this is due to the last round of
updates, but I don't know for certain, my wireless link (linksys 54g
card) refuses to come up and connect. In dmesg I get lots of 'link not
ready' messages. And even though the card was set to startup on boot, I
had to unset and reset that option to make that work.


Even when I manually set I set it up, it doesn't want to come up. The
module is loaded, it just isn't behaving. Could it be kernel related
perhaps? I don't know where to start debugging this, since it all LOOKS
right.


--
Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar


Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-22-2008, 08:19 PM
Jim
 
Default Wireless problems.

Mark Haney wrote:
I've had this F8 box working perfectly for the last 4 months or so and
for some reason now (and I assume this is due to the last round of
updates, but I don't know for certain, my wireless link (linksys 54g
card) refuses to come up and connect. In dmesg I get lots of 'link not
ready' messages. And even though the card was set to startup on boot,
I had to unset and reset that option to make that work.


Even when I manually set I set it up, it doesn't want to come up. The
module is loaded, it just isn't behaving. Could it be kernel related
perhaps? I don't know where to start debugging this, since it all
LOOKS right.



First , what version of Fedora you using
Second , give the output of /sbin/lspci -v on your wireless card

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-22-2008, 08:32 PM
"Mark Haney"
 
Default Wireless problems.

Jim wrote:

Mark Haney wrote:
I've had this F8 box working perfectly for the last 4 months or so and
for some reason now (and I assume this is due to the last round of
updates, but I don't know for certain, my wireless link (linksys 54g
card) refuses to come up and connect. In dmesg I get lots of 'link not
ready' messages. And even though the card was set to startup on boot,
I had to unset and reset that option to make that work.


Even when I manually set I set it up, it doesn't want to come up. The
module is loaded, it just isn't behaving. Could it be kernel related
perhaps? I don't know where to start debugging this, since it all
LOOKS right.



First , what version of Fedora you using
Second , give the output of /sbin/lspci -v on your wireless card



Fedora 8. (that's in the OP, but not real noticeable)

lspci -v

02:09.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Subsystem: Linksys WMP54G ver 4.1
Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 21
Memory at e8100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32K]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
Kernel driver in use: rt61pci
Kernel modules: rt61pci

The only thing I've changed on this box recently has been the kernel and
associated updates.


It's not changed position, or anything like that. The AP moved about 10
feet, but until the beginning of this week this box worked great with
the AP in the new spot.




--
Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar


Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-22-2008, 08:43 PM
Mike
 
Default Wireless problems.

Mark Haney <mhaney <at> ercbroadband.org> writes:

> lspci -v
>
> 02:09.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
> Subsystem: Linksys WMP54G ver 4.1
> Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 21
> Memory at e8100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32K]
> Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
> Kernel driver in use: rt61pci
> Kernel modules: rt61pci
>
> The only thing I've changed on this box recently has been the kernel and
> associated updates.

Might be useful to know how you are connecting - NetworkManager, wpa-supplicant
WEP, WPA? I am using F8 with wpa_supplicant on three different machines with
different wireless cards in each and have no problems - one is rt73usb.

On the other hand I know someone who is using WEP with standard network
defined in ifcfg-*** files - and has been having problems for a while now
in F8



--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-22-2008, 08:47 PM
"Mark Haney"
 
Default Wireless problems.

Mike wrote:

Mark Haney <mhaney <at> ercbroadband.org> writes:


lspci -v

02:09.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Subsystem: Linksys WMP54G ver 4.1
Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 21
Memory at e8100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32K]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
Kernel driver in use: rt61pci
Kernel modules: rt61pci

The only thing I've changed on this box recently has been the kernel and
associated updates.


Might be useful to know how you are connecting - NetworkManager, wpa-supplicant
WEP, WPA? I am using F8 with wpa_supplicant on three different machines with
different wireless cards in each and have no problems - one is rt73usb.

On the other hand I know someone who is using WEP with standard network
defined in ifcfg-*** files - and has been having problems for a while now
in F8





Yeah that would probably help. Actually, I'm just connection. It's a
wireless card but no encryption involved. It's a straight up
connection. Security isn't a real problem here where I live. I have 20
acres of land and no one is even close to me neighbor wise. So, it's
nothing complicated.



--
Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar


Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Mike
 
Default Wireless problems.

Mark Haney <mhaney <at> ercbroadband.org> writes:

> Yeah that would probably help. Actually, I'm just connection. It's a
> wireless card but no encryption involved. It's a straight up

Yes but how are you trying to connect?

Do you have a simple /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0?
Do you have onboot=yes in this file?
Then are you doing ifup wlan0 to try and connect if it is not running at
boot time?

Or do you have wpa_supplicant for an open connection? You can use
wpa_supplicant to make a simple connection with no encryption.

What is the output of ifconfig as root?
What is the output of iwconfig as root once connected.

Is dhclient running after you boot up?
Do you set a fixed ip address in the ifcfg-xxx file?

I think if you send some of this information people can offer some
advice...

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-22-2008, 09:16 PM
"Mark Haney"
 
Default Wireless problems.

Mike wrote:

Mark Haney <mhaney <at> ercbroadband.org> writes:

Yes but how are you trying to connect?

Do you have a simple /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0?
Do you have onboot=yes in this file?
Then are you doing ifup wlan0 to try and connect if it is not running at
boot time?

Or do you have wpa_supplicant for an open connection? You can use
wpa_supplicant to make a simple connection with no encryption.

What is the output of ifconfig as root?
What is the output of iwconfig as root once connected.


Is dhclient running after you boot up?
Do you set a fixed ip address in the ifcfg-xxx file?

I think if you send some of this information people can offer some
advice...



I totally misunderstood your question, I'm sorry about that. I connect
via a simple ifcfg-xx file. I don't use NM for anything. I don't have
dhclient running since I gave it a static IP. That's not ever been a
problem before, it's been a static IP since I put the card in the box a
half year ago.


Here's the output you asked for:

[root@sulla ~]# ifconfig
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:3834 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:3834 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:217134 (212.0 KiB) TX bytes:217134 (212.0 KiB)

wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1E:E5:20:BF:BA
inet addr:192.168.2.3 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:19 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:179 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1275 (1.2 KiB) TX bytes:25462 (24.8 KiB)

wmaster0 Link encap:UNSPEC HWaddr
00-1E-E5-20-BF-BA-28-D5-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)


[root@sulla ~]# iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"EsSID"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point:
00:11:50:54:0E:C7

Tx-Power=14 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2352 B
Encryption keyff
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

sit0 no wireless extensions.


I can tell from iwconfig that it looks to be not getting a signal, but I
know the signal strength has always been good at this location, and my
XP boot on this system (I know, but it's only for games and testing
windows apps) that signal strength is perfect on it. The AP is only
about 15 ft from the system.


Does this help?



--
Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar


Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-23-2008, 12:38 AM
Jim
 
Default Wireless problems.

Mark Haney wrote:

Jim wrote:

Mark Haney wrote:
I've had this F8 box working perfectly for the last 4 months or so
and for some reason now (and I assume this is due to the last round
of updates, but I don't know for certain, my wireless link (linksys
54g card) refuses to come up and connect. In dmesg I get lots of
'link not ready' messages. And even though the card was set to
startup on boot, I had to unset and reset that option to make that
work.


Even when I manually set I set it up, it doesn't want to come up.
The module is loaded, it just isn't behaving. Could it be kernel
related perhaps? I don't know where to start debugging this, since
it all LOOKS right.



First , what version of Fedora you using
Second , give the output of /sbin/lspci -v on your wireless card



Fedora 8. (that's in the OP, but not real noticeable)

lspci -v

02:09.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Subsystem: Linksys WMP54G ver 4.1
Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 21
Memory at e8100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32K]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
Kernel driver in use: rt61pci
Kernel modules: rt61pci

The only thing I've changed on this box recently has been the kernel
and associated updates.


It's not changed position, or anything like that. The AP moved about
10 feet, but until the beginning of this week this box worked great
with the AP in the new spot.




Restart your computer and see if the wireless card still works in the
older Kernel.

Did you compile this driver to work on Fedora ?

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-23-2008, 01:51 AM
Timothy Murphy
 
Default Wireless problems.

Mark Haney wrote:

> I totally misunderstood your question, I'm sorry about that. I connect
> via a simple ifcfg-xx file. I don't use NM for anything. I don't have
> dhclient running since I gave it a static IP. That's not ever been a
> problem before, it's been a static IP since I put the card in the box a
> half year ago.

I'm surprised to hear myself saying this, but why not try NM?
I know it's meant to have problems with fixed IP,
but it cannot do any harm to try.

I've usually found the information in /var/log/messages is quite helpful
with WiFi problems.

Also it might be worth trying "iwlist scan" as root.
And wifi-radar is sometimes helpful.



--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-23-2008, 11:59 AM
"Mark Haney"
 
Default Wireless problems.

Jim wrote:

Mark Haney wrote:

Jim wrote:





Restart your computer and see if the wireless card still works in the
older Kernel.

Did you compile this driver to work on Fedora ?



Yeah, I've tried that. No dice. My problem is I can't go back but one
kernel version, but that kernel (and this one IIRC) was working just
fine until a week ago.




--
Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar


Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:10 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org