Old 06-23-2008, 06:50 PM
"Mark Haney"

Default Wireless problems.

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 13:56 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 11:53 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:

Timothy Murphy wrote:

Mark Haney wrote:

I will mention that when I reboot, and I look in 'Network' in GNOME,
that I see 2 wireless cards listed. Originally, it showed 'wlan0' and
'wlan0.bak', along with 'eth0' and 'eth0.bak'. I don't know how that
happened, but I'm wondering if kudzu doing something. Even when I
deleted the wlan0.bak option and rebooted, same thing.

I think this is part of the completely crazy pre-NM WiFi setup.

NM is crazy too, but in a different way.

Did you try, incidentally, "iwconfig wlan0 essid <whatever>"?
Do you have the ESSID set in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 ?

Also maybe worth trying "iwconfig wlan0 MODE Managed" or "MODE AdHoc".

Ps I'm not a WiFi guru, just a sufferer from it.

See, on my other wireless system (laptop running Gentoo), I always fire
up my wireless this way with no trouble, no matter where I am. (Uh, the
manual CLI way) The script I use has never failed me to launch iwconfig
and then bring up the interface.

In Fedora, even from the CLI I cannot get the interface to connect.
It's UP, from the standpoint that I have an entry in ifconfig that tells
me it's up. The modules are loaded (and I've tried load/unload). I've
tried the other AP modes and still nothing. I just don't understand what
changed in a week. This is the one system I haven't wired because of
it's location and so far I've not had trouble with it.

At this point, I'm tempted to try Gentoo on it and see if that makes a
difference, just to make sure it's not some weirdness with Linux in
general with that card.

You might try the following:

* Open system-config-network.
* Delete all wireless interfaces and devices.
* Reboot, and let the hardware detector re-detect them.
* Try connecting again.

Yep. Tried that too. No go. It's the craziest thing.

Did it get rid of the multiple copies? Did it correctly detect the
cards?

It did. Until a second reboot. Then they came back.

Do you have Windows on the machine, and does it work there? Does the
Ubuntu or Knoppix live CD work? I came late to the thread, so did it
work with older kernels? Does it work connecting with
system-config-network, or ifup, or wpa-supplicant?

Yes I have XP on that box and the card works perfectly (gasp!) there.
I've never tried wpa-supplicant. This connection is totally open,
unencrypted since I live so far away from any of my neighbors. Unless,
of course the squirrels or deer in my woods has connectivity.

A that point, I'd consider filing a bug. John Linville handles the
wireless stuff, and he's usually been pretty responsive.

The problem is, I don't know what the problem is, so don't know what to
file.

Wireless is a seriously tricky business. From what I've read here and
on the fedora-devel, fedora-testing, and NetworkManager mailing lists,
I'm not surprised that it's still kind of flaky on Linux. It's gotten
dramatically better over the last couple of Fedoras, though.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 06-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 14:50 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > Did it get rid of the multiple copies? Did it correctly detect the
> > cards?
>
> It did. Until a second reboot. Then they came back.

In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interface>, is there a
HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx line?

> > A that point, I'd consider filing a bug. John Linville handles the
> > wireless stuff, and he's usually been pretty responsive.
>
> The problem is, I don't know what the problem is, so don't know what to
> file.

It probably doesn't make too much difference, in the sense that wherever
you file, you'll get help troubleshooting.

If none of the connectivity tools leads to a connection, I'd probably
start with the kernel (Linville's beat), suspecting that it's a wireless
driver issue. It can always be reassigned later if troubleshooting
leads you to some other component.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 06-23-2008, 07:24 PM
"Mark Haney"

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

Did it get rid of the multiple copies? Did it correctly detect the
cards?

It did. Until a second reboot. Then they came back.

In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interface>, is there a
HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx line?

A that point, I'd consider filing a bug. John Linville handles the
wireless stuff, and he's usually been pretty responsive.
The problem is, I don't know what the problem is, so don't know what to
file.

It probably doesn't make too much difference, in the sense that wherever
you file, you'll get help troubleshooting.

If none of the connectivity tools leads to a connection, I'd probably
start with the kernel (Linville's beat), suspecting that it's a wireless
driver issue. It can always be reassigned later if troubleshooting
leads you to some other component.

Probably not a bad idea. Yes, there is a HWADDR= line. And it matches
with the address that shows up in dmesg.

I noticed you're at Clemson. I was down there last month for CIDays.
The campus is much prettier than I remember the last time I was there.
(Which, sadly, was the Fumble-rooski Bobby Bowden pulled against you.)