Old 06-23-2008, 12:04 PM
"Mark Haney"

Default Wireless problems.

Timothy Murphy wrote:

Mark Haney wrote:

I totally misunderstood your question, I'm sorry about that. I connect
via a simple ifcfg-xx file. I don't use NM for anything. I don't have
dhclient running since I gave it a static IP. That's not ever been a
problem before, it's been a static IP since I put the card in the box a
half year ago.

I'm surprised to hear myself saying this, but why not try NM?
I know it's meant to have problems with fixed IP,
but it cannot do any harm to try.

I've usually found the information in /var/log/messages is quite helpful
with WiFi problems.

Also it might be worth trying "iwlist scan" as root.
And wifi-radar is sometimes helpful.

The problem I have isn't logging anything in syslog. iwlist scan works,
I can see my AP just fine. I just can't get the card to connect to it.
I know the AP is fine since my laptop connects fine. I know the card
in the box works since the XP boot on that box can connect just fine.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 06-23-2008, 12:33 PM
"Mark Haney"

Timothy Murphy wrote:

Mark Haney wrote:

Also it might be worth trying "iwlist scan" as root.
And wifi-radar is sometimes helpful.

The problem I have isn't logging anything in syslog. iwlist scan works,
I can see my AP just fine. I just can't get the card to connect to it.
I know the AP is fine since my laptop connects fine. I know the card
in the box works since the XP boot on that box can connect just fine.

If "iwlist scan" sees your AP, that is 90% of the way.
This implies the card and driver are working.

Also, if "iwlist scan" works I would definitely try NM,
since that will probably see the AP too.

I'll give this a shot when I get home.

How exactly is the AP set up?
Is it using dhcp?

The AP is setup really simply. No wireless encryption, DHCP enabled
(for LAN parties). I use a static IP on this server because I port
forward SSH to it from the wireless router.

I shouldn't ask this, but do you have Windows on your computer?
If so, does Windows connect with the AP?

I mentioned in the previous reply that XP does work on that box just
fine. (If you didn't see it, don't worry about it, it didn't make sense
to me after I re-read it.)

You say there are no messages in syslog,
which I assume is sent to /var/log/messages.

I would have thought there must be something there,
if iwlist scan works.
(There should be something in /var/log/dmesg as well.)

dmesg does show that the wireless card is there and that it gets a
proper association (exact message I'm unsure and am at the office now)
but that there are repeated messages of 'wireless link not ready'.

Might be worth switching SELinux off, if it is on.
(Better, switch to permissive.)

SELinux has been disabled on this box since the initial FC6 install.

This is what has me confused. Nothing is complicated about this setup.
It's been in the same place and the same OS for 5 months without
trouble until now. And now, for some reason it gets all bollocksed up.

I will mention that when I reboot, and I look in 'Network' in GNOME,
that I see 2 wireless cards listed. Originally, it showed 'wlan0' and
'wlan0.bak', along with 'eth0' and 'eth0.bak'. I don't know how that
happened, but I'm wondering if kudzu doing something. Even when I
deleted the wlan0.bak option and rebooted, same thing.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Timothy Murphy

Old 06-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Mike C

Mark Haney <mhaney <at> ercbroadband.org> writes:

> [root <at> sulla ~]# ifconfig

> wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1E:E5:20:BF:BA
> inet addr:192.168.2.3 Bcast:192.168.2.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
> UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

Sorry but I have only just come back to this discussion.

It is clear there is no signal from this output, and also from

> [root <at> sulla ~]# iwconfig

> wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"EsSID"
> Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point:
> 00:11:50:54:0E:C7
> Tx-Power=14 dBm
> Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2352 B
> Encryption keyff
> Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

The last line also shows there is no signal.

A couple of things to try:
1) Do ifdown wlan0 followed by ifup wlan0
Does this bring it back?

2) You are using the rt61 driver - you could try
modprobe -rv rt61
modprobe -av rt61
then
ifdown wlan0
ifup wlan0

This just unloads the kernel module and reloads it, and then restarts
the wireless.

You could also try
service network restart

You might also post the contents of the ifcfg-wlan0 file... all this will
help diagnose what it going on.

Also before doing any of the above try seeing if the rt61 module is
actually loaded by doing
lsmod |grep rt61
and posting the output.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Mike C

Mike C <mike.cloaked <at> gmail.com> writes:

> modprobe -rv rt61
> modprobe -av rt61
> then
> ifdown wlan0
> ifup wlan0
>
> This just unloads the kernel module and reloads it, and then restarts
> the wireless.

I looked back and realised you have the rt61pci module listed but you
can reload it not by the above but by doing

modprobe -rv rt61pci
modprobe -av rt61pci
then
ifdown wlan0
ifup wlan0

There may be other things you can try but first let's see the output
from the commands I suggested in the previous post and this one.

Old 06-23-2008, 03:53 PM
"Mark Haney"

Timothy Murphy wrote:

Mark Haney wrote:

I will mention that when I reboot, and I look in 'Network' in GNOME,
that I see 2 wireless cards listed. Originally, it showed 'wlan0' and
'wlan0.bak', along with 'eth0' and 'eth0.bak'. I don't know how that
happened, but I'm wondering if kudzu doing something. Even when I
deleted the wlan0.bak option and rebooted, same thing.

I think this is part of the completely crazy pre-NM WiFi setup.

NM is crazy too, but in a different way.

Did you try, incidentally, "iwconfig wlan0 essid <whatever>"?
Do you have the ESSID set in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 ?

Also maybe worth trying "iwconfig wlan0 MODE Managed" or "MODE AdHoc".

Ps I'm not a WiFi guru, just a sufferer from it.

See, on my other wireless system (laptop running Gentoo), I always fire
up my wireless this way with no trouble, no matter where I am. (Uh, the
manual CLI way) The script I use has never failed me to launch iwconfig
and then bring up the interface.

In Fedora, even from the CLI I cannot get the interface to connect.
It's UP, from the standpoint that I have an entry in ifconfig that tells
me it's up. The modules are loaded (and I've tried load/unload). I've
tried the other AP modes and still nothing. I just don't understand what
changed in a week. This is the one system I haven't wired because of
it's location and so far I've not had trouble with it.

At this point, I'm tempted to try Gentoo on it and see if that makes a
difference, just to make sure it's not some weirdness with Linux in
general with that card.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Timothy Murphy

Old 06-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 11:53 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
> Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > Mark Haney wrote:
> >
> >> I will mention that when I reboot, and I look in 'Network' in GNOME,
> >> that I see 2 wireless cards listed. Originally, it showed 'wlan0' and
> >> 'wlan0.bak', along with 'eth0' and 'eth0.bak'. I don't know how that
> >> happened, but I'm wondering if kudzu doing something. Even when I
> >> deleted the wlan0.bak option and rebooted, same thing.
> >
> > I think this is part of the completely crazy pre-NM WiFi setup.
> >
> > NM is crazy too, but in a different way.
> >
> > Did you try, incidentally, "iwconfig wlan0 essid <whatever>"?
> > Do you have the ESSID set in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 ?
> >
> > Also maybe worth trying "iwconfig wlan0 MODE Managed" or "MODE AdHoc".
> >
> > Ps I'm not a WiFi guru, just a sufferer from it.
> >

> See, on my other wireless system (laptop running Gentoo), I always fire
> up my wireless this way with no trouble, no matter where I am. (Uh, the
> manual CLI way) The script I use has never failed me to launch iwconfig
> and then bring up the interface.
>
> In Fedora, even from the CLI I cannot get the interface to connect.
> It's UP, from the standpoint that I have an entry in ifconfig that tells
> me it's up. The modules are loaded (and I've tried load/unload). I've
> tried the other AP modes and still nothing. I just don't understand what
> changed in a week. This is the one system I haven't wired because of
> it's location and so far I've not had trouble with it.
>
> At this point, I'm tempted to try Gentoo on it and see if that makes a
> difference, just to make sure it's not some weirdness with Linux in
> general with that card.

You might try the following:

* Open system-config-network.
* Delete all wireless interfaces and devices.
* Reboot, and let the hardware detector re-detect them.
* Try connecting again.

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 06-23-2008, 05:56 PM
"Mark Haney"

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

[...]

Yep. Tried that too. No go. It's the craziest thing.

Old 06-23-2008, 06:36 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 13:56 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
> Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> >> See, on my other wireless system (laptop running Gentoo), I always fire
> >> up my wireless this way with no trouble, no matter where I am. (Uh, the
> >> manual CLI way) The script I use has never failed me to launch iwconfig
> >> and then bring up the interface.
> >>
> >> In Fedora, even from the CLI I cannot get the interface to connect.
> >> It's UP, from the standpoint that I have an entry in ifconfig that tells
> >> me it's up. The modules are loaded (and I've tried load/unload). I've
> >> tried the other AP modes and still nothing. I just don't understand what
> >> changed in a week. This is the one system I haven't wired because of
> >> it's location and so far I've not had trouble with it.
> >>
> >> At this point, I'm tempted to try Gentoo on it and see if that makes a
> >> difference, just to make sure it's not some weirdness with Linux in
> >> general with that card.
> >
> > You might try the following:
> >
> > * Open system-config-network.
> > * Delete all wireless interfaces and devices.
> > * Reboot, and let the hardware detector re-detect them.
> > * Try connecting again.
> >

> Yep. Tried that too. No go. It's the craziest thing.

Did it get rid of the multiple copies? Did it correctly detect the
cards?

Do you have Windows on the machine, and does it work there? Does the
Ubuntu or Knoppix live CD work? I came late to the thread, so did it
work with older kernels? Does it work connecting with
system-config-network, or ifup, or wpa-supplicant?

A that point, I'd consider filing a bug. John Linville handles the
wireless stuff, and he's usually been pretty responsive.

Wireless is a seriously tricky business. From what I've read here and
on the fedora-devel, fedora-testing, and NetworkManager mailing lists,
I'm not surprised that it's still kind of flaky on Linux. It's gotten
dramatically better over the last couple of Fedoras, though.