Old 06-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Craig White

Default F9 - sendmail won't send on startup?

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 12:17 -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

> >> These extra emails are problems with the mailq (I think).
> > ----
> > I'm out...I abandoned sendmail for postfix years ago. A suggestion
> > though...set up a server on your lan to handle relaying all outbound
> > mail and use an smtp connection to that server instead of relying upon
> > the local /usr/bin/sendmail binary. That pretty much solves the issue of
> > configuring each workstation to handle mail deliveries.
> >
> > Craig
> >

> There are a million ways around the problem, but I'd really just like to
> fix it.
>
> Thanks for trying though.
----
I feel that you missed my point.

If you are going to rely upon configuring sendmail on each machine on
your LAN to deliver e-mail, you need to have working DNS and some
knowledge on how to configure sendmail. That's what's required to fix
it. You are choosing your own burdens here.

Craig

Old 06-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Knute Johnson

Craig White wrote:

[...]

I understand you perfectly. However there is no DNS problem as I can
read mail from the server, the browser works and I can ping. There is
some new problem with F9 that is causing this or something that works
differently on F9. This has worked fine on every version of Fedora
since 1 and it works fine as soon as I restart sendmail.

--

Knute Johnson
linux@www.knutejohnson.com

Old 06-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Craig White

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 12:48 -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:
> Craig White wrote:

> >> There are a million ways around the problem, but I'd really just like to
> >> fix it.
> >>
> >> Thanks for trying though.
> > ----
> > I feel that you missed my point.
> >
> > If you are going to rely upon configuring sendmail on each machine on
> > your LAN to deliver e-mail, you need to have working DNS and some
> > knowledge on how to configure sendmail. That's what's required to fix
> > it. You are choosing your own burdens here.
> >
> > Craig
> >

> I understand you perfectly. However there is no DNS problem as I can
> read mail from the server, the browser works and I can ping. There is
> some new problem with F9 that is causing this or something that works
> differently on F9. This has worked fine on every version of Fedora
> since 1 and it works fine as soon as I restart sendmail.
----
But I am running F-9 and sendmail and don't get those startup errors...

[root@lin-workstation ~]# grep 'Name server timeout' /var/log/maillog*
[root@lin-workstation ~]# grep 'Name server timeout' /var/log/messages*
[root@lin-workstation ~]# chkconfig --list sendmail
sendmail 0ff 1ff 2n 3n 4n 5n 6ff

so it seems as though you do have some DNS problem somewhere.

And I assure you that if there was an inherent problem with mail
delivery on Fedora-9, we'd be hearing plenty of moaning.

but since I have a server on the LAN that handles mail delivery (both on
the LAN and to the Internet), it's a waste of time for me to configure
each local system to deliver e-mail when all I need to do is just use my
server for smtp connections and if necessary, simply configure a
workstation to use my server as a smarthost.

Thus when I see you using e-mail addresses with zones (www) and errors
resolving them, it seems to me that it's simply errors caused by your
configuration which seems to be unnecessarily complicated and requires
that you notch up your troubleshooting capabilities.

I recall that on Fedora 8, NetworkManager sysv init ran rather late in
the startup series but checking it out now, it starts much earlier and
certainly before SendMail so that shouldn't pose a problem (which is why
I suggested putting an entry in /etc/hosts).

Craig

Old 06-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Knute Johnson

Craig White wrote:

[...]

Why would only sendmail have DNS problems and only before it is restarted?

And I assure you that if there was an inherent problem with mail
delivery on Fedora-9, we'd be hearing plenty of moaning.

but since I have a server on the LAN that handles mail delivery (both on
the LAN and to the Internet), it's a waste of time for me to configure
each local system to deliver e-mail when all I need to do is just use my
server for smtp connections and if necessary, simply configure a
workstation to use my server as a smarthost.

It takes about 30 seconds to configure.

Thus when I see you using e-mail addresses with zones (www) and errors
resolving them, it seems to me that it's simply errors caused by your
configuration which seems to be unnecessarily complicated and requires
that you notch up your troubleshooting capabilities.

Only sendmail and only before it is restarted after that it works fine.

I recall that on Fedora 8, NetworkManager sysv init ran rather late in
the startup series but checking it out now, it starts much earlier and
certainly before SendMail so that shouldn't pose a problem (which is why
I suggested putting an entry in /etc/hosts).

Craig

The entry in /etc/hosts did not solve the problem. That's the main
reason I don't think it is a DNS problem.

If you are bored, set your thunderbird to use localhost as the SMTP
server and try it. And try to email your local server so you are sure
it isn't some ISP blocking problem.

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson
linux@www.knutejohnson.com

Old 06-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Knute Johnson

Craig White wrote:

[...]

Removing the www doesn't solve it either.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Craig White

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 13:45 -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:

> If you are bored, set your thunderbird to use localhost as the SMTP
> server and try it. And try to email your local server so you are sure
> it isn't some ISP blocking problem.
----
worked fine - no adjustment nor sendmail restart necessary

Craig

Old 06-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Knute Johnson

Craig White wrote:

If you are bored, set your thunderbird to use localhost as the SMTP
server and try it. And try to email your local server so you are sure
it isn't some ISP blocking problem.

----
worked fine - no adjustment nor sendmail restart necessary

Craig

OK. So what's different about my two computers from yours?

--

Knute Johnson
linux@www.knutejohnson.com

Old 06-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Craig White

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 14:55 -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 13:45 -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:
> >
> >> If you are bored, set your thunderbird to use localhost as the SMTP
> >> server and try it. And try to email your local server so you are sure
> >> it isn't some ISP blocking problem.
> > ----
> > worked fine - no adjustment nor sendmail restart necessary
> >
> > Craig
> >

> OK. So what's different about my two computers from yours?
----
DNS?

but again, I don't see the need to route e-mail through the local system
when I've got a fully configured smtp server on my LAN.

Craig

Old 06-23-2008, 02:12 AM
Timothy Murphy

Knute Johnson wrote:

> I've got two installations of F9 running, one x86_64 and the other i386.
> They both fail to send email initially but if I restart sendmail they
> send fine after that. I'm using thunderbird and have it configured to
> use the local sendmail for sending. The only thing I've modified in my
> sendmail.mc file is the masquerading. Any ideas where to start looking?

It's very unlikely I can help if Craig White can't,
but doesn't it sound as if sendmail needs something
that starts after sendmail in /etc/rc.d ?

Why not try "chkconfig sendmail off" and then add "service sendmail start"
to /etc/rc.d/rc.local and see if it works there.

Or you could try giving it a later prefix number in /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/ ?