Old 06-30-2008, 05:51 PM
Beartooth

Default Wide, flat, & weird : HP w2207h with F8 & F9

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 02:35:00 +0930, Tim wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 16:45 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>> (The machine was built for me, to my budget, by an electronic friend;
>> but I haven't found a way to ask it what video card it has, and I hate
>> to ask him to dig through his records (if any) to find out.)
>
> You can try "dmidecode" (it's a command line tool).

Well, at least some of that is in English. I went through it,
line by line, a couple of times. But all I could see that might be
relevant was this :

===== ===== =====
Handle 0x0023, DMI type 10, 6 bytes.
On Board Device Information
Type: Video
===== ===== =====

Is there something else I should be looking for?? What I know of
hardware would go in a gnat's eye -- and never discommode the gnat.

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
nine (count 'em -- nine) different browsers

Old 07-01-2008, 12:35 AM
Tim

Tim:
>> You can try "dmidecode" (it's a command line tool).

Beartooth:
> Well, at least some of that is in English. I went through it,
> line by line, a couple of times. But all I could see that might be
> relevant was this :
>
> ===== ===== =====
> Handle 0x0023, DMI type 10, 6 bytes.
> On Board Device Information
> Type: Video
> ===== ===== =====

Ah yes, well that sort of thing will be a problem for most automatic
tools. They scan the hardware for identifying codes, and information
provided by the hardware. If the manufacturer didn't fill in the data,
or stuffed it with nonsense (my BIOS is full of 1234567890 serial
codes), then you won't get far with it.

That sort of nonsense doesn't help Windows users trying to install
hardware, either. They get some disc with half a dozen drivers for
their budget graphics/sound/network card, and they have to pick which
one to use, because the system can't do it for them.

Faced with trying to read technobabble output, you could have posted the
whole thing to the list for more help with it. At least you can with
command line tools.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, all using Gnome
in case that's important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Beartooth

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 10:05:50 +0930, Tim wrote:
[....]
> Faced with trying to read technobabble output, you could have posted the
> whole thing to the list for more help with it. At least you can with
> command line tools.

Yes, ordinarily I would have; and I could have piped it into a
text editor to make a file I could copy in toto or attach -- or at least
I could have found out how to -- but this was such a vast file, and so
much of it surely irrelevant, that I couldn't see taking the bandwidth.

Meanwhile, fortunately, I've discovered the secret of lshw-gui :
you have to double-click (even though my machines are single-click),
*not* just on what looks likeliest among the bolded text, but all the way
into the upper left corner (In this case on "Desktop Computer") and open
branches column by column, as if you were drilling down a series of
directories in the CLI (as, I suppose, in fact you are, behind the front
end). There's no way to skim to the middle and go from there.

From there, I get to "Motherboard," and then to a listing of --
so help me -- BIOS, cpu, system memory, and *eleven* identical-looking
choices of "Host bridge." But ten of them don't seem to lead anywhere...

Any hints on what I'm looking for may look like, so I'll know it
when I slog to it? Most of what I see seems to've come from VIA
Technologies.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Björn Persson

måndagen den 30 juni 2008 skrev Beartooth:
> On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 02:35:00 +0930, Tim wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 16:45 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> >> (The machine was built for me, to my budget, by an electronic friend;
> >> but I haven't found a way to ask it what video card it has, and I hate
> >> to ask him to dig through his records (if any) to find out.)
> >
> > You can try "dmidecode" (it's a command line tool).
>
> Well, at least some of that is in English. I went through it,
> line by line, a couple of times. But all I could see that might be
> relevant was this :
>
> ===== ===== =====
> Handle 0x0023, DMI type 10, 6 bytes.
> On Board Device Information
> Type: Video
> ===== ===== =====

The DMI data doesn't come from the various pieces of hardware themselves. It's
all stored in a memory on the motherboard, so it doesn't necessarily have
anything to do with what hardware is actually installed. It seems only big
corporations have tools to write to the DMI memory.

> Is there something else I should be looking for?? What I know of
> hardware would go in a gnat's eye -- and never discommode the gnat.

Try running lspci and looking for words like "display", "graphics" and "VGA".

Björn Persson

Old 07-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Beartooth

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 23:33:55 +0200, Björn Persson wrote:
[...]
> The DMI data doesn't come from the various pieces of hardware
> themselves. It's all stored in a memory on the motherboard, so it
> doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what hardware is actually
> installed. It seems only big corporations have tools to write to the DMI
> memory.
>
>> Is there something else I should be looking for?? What I know of
>> hardware would go in a gnat's eye -- and never discommode the gnat.
>
> Try running lspci and looking for words like "display", "graphics" and
> "VGA".

On the #1 machine :

===== ===== =====

[root@localhost btth]# lspci|grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M890
[Chrome9] Integrated Video (rev 01)
[root@localhost btth]#
===== ===== =====

But there is later, better info -- which I have just posted here,
under the thread "Re: Fedora 9 Openchrome drv HP w2207h Monitor"

Old 07-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Antonio Olivares

> On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 23:33:55 +0200, Björn Persson wrote:
> [...]
> > The DMI data doesn't come from the various pieces
> of hardware
> > themselves. It's all stored in a memory on the
> motherboard, so it
> > doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what
> hardware is actually
> > installed. It seems only big corporations have tools
> to write to the DMI
> > memory.
> >
> >> Is there something else I should be looking for??
> What I know of
> >> hardware would go in a gnat's eye -- and never
> discommode the gnat.
> >
> > Try running lspci and looking for words like
> "display", "graphics" and
> > "VGA".
>
> On the #1 machine :
>
> ===== ===== =====
>
> [root@localhost btth]# lspci|grep VGA
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.
> K8M890
> [Chrome9] Integrated Video (rev 01)
> [root@localhost btth]#

It appears to be the same as mine:
[root@localhost ~]# lspci|grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M890 [Chrome9] Integrated Video (rev 11)
[root@localhost ~]#

Start you machine in level 3, you shall see the difference. Read my other post, it will tell you my experience.

Regards,

Antonio