-   -   Firefox3 > Send Link > won't use Thunderbird (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/111401-firefox3-send-link-wont-use-thunderbird.html)

Jim 06-22-2008 04:04 PM

Firefox3 > Send Link > won't use Thunderbird

Fc8, Firefox 3
When using File > Send Link in Firefox 2 it would open Thunderbird to
send link, but in Firefox3 the feature doesn't work.
In /,mozilla/firefox/default/user.js file, to select thunderbird, but it
won't work in Firefox 3.

Below is contents of user.js

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto","/usr/bin/thunderbird");
user_pref("browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs" , true);

What's different in FF3 ??

"Patrick O'Callaghan" 06-22-2008 05:51 PM

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 12:04 -0400, Jim wrote:
> Fc8, Firefox 3
> When using File > Send Link in Firefox 2 it would open Thunderbird to
> send link, but in Firefox3 the feature doesn't work.
> In /,mozilla/firefox/default/user.js file, to select thunderbird, but it
> won't work in Firefox 3.
> Below is contents of user.js
>
> user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto","/usr/bin/thunderbird");
> user_pref("browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs" , true);
>
> What's different in FF3 ??

AFAIK this is a GTK setting, not specific to Firefox (FF uses GTK). Try
setting TB in the Gnome Preferred Applications dialogue. If you use KDE,
run gnome-control-center to get to it.

poc

Jim 06-22-2008 06:21 PM

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

When using File > Send Link in Firefox 2 it would open Thunderbird to
send link, but in Firefox3 the feature doesn't work.
In /,mozilla/firefox/default/user.js file, to select thunderbird, but it
won't work in Firefox 3.

Below is contents of user.js

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto","/usr/bin/thunderbird");
user_pref("browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs" , true);

What's different in FF3 ??

AFAIK this is a GTK setting, not specific to Firefox (FF uses GTK). Try
setting TB in the Gnome Preferred Applications dialogue. If you use KDE,
run gnome-control-center to get to it.

poc

Sorry about that, I'am running KDE and I don't have

gnome-control-center installed, do you know howto do this in KDE ?
Thanks for your responds.

"Patrick O'Callaghan" 06-22-2008 06:42 PM

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 14:21 -0400, Jim wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 12:04 -0400, Jim wrote:
> >
> >> Fc8, Firefox 3
> >> When using File > Send Link in Firefox 2 it would open Thunderbird to
> >> send link, but in Firefox3 the feature doesn't work.
> >> In /,mozilla/firefox/default/user.js file, to select thunderbird, but it
> >> won't work in Firefox 3.
> >> Below is contents of user.js
> >>
> >> user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto","/usr/bin/thunderbird");
> >> user_pref("browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs" , true);
> >>
> >> What's different in FF3 ??
> >>

> > AFAIK this is a GTK setting, not specific to Firefox (FF uses GTK). Try
> > setting TB in the Gnome Preferred Applications dialogue. If you use KDE,
> > run gnome-control-center to get to it.
> >
> > poc
> >

> Sorry about that, I'am running KDE and I don't have
>
> gnome-control-center installed, do you know howto do this in KDE ?
> Thanks for your responds.

No I don't, but note that FF is a GTK application compiled with GTK
libraries so KDE has no direct way of controlling it. You could probably
edit the gconf files directly, but I don't recommend it. Just run "yum
install control-center". It won't get in the way of using KDE.

poc

Jim 06-22-2008 07:14 PM

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

[...]

Boy that sure is a weird way of having to set it up, but that did the
trick , Thanks for the help

Even tho I'm not a Gnome user, I think I'll keep that Gnome-control-center.
Jim

Robin Laing 06-23-2008 03:28 PM

Jim wrote:

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

[...]

On F8 I am using the REMI version of Thunderbird and FF3 with no issues
on KDE.

--
Robin Laing