FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-22-2008, 03:29 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"
 
Default kde-redhat

I realize this may be a difficult question to answer, but I'll ask it
anyway: if I use the kde-redhat repo, am I likely to have problems with
the "official" Fedora versions of KDE?

poc

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Kevin Kofler
 
Default kde-redhat

Patrick O'Callaghan <poc <at> usb.ve> writes:
> I realize this may be a difficult question to answer, but I'll ask it
> anyway: if I use the kde-redhat repo, am I likely to have problems with
> the "official" Fedora versions of KDE?

The kde-redhat packages these days are just backports of Rawhide KDE packages
to released distros. Rex Dieter is now one of the Fedora KDE maintainers. So
the days where there were 2 completely separate sets of KDE packages are long
past.

Kevin Kofler

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-22-2008, 05:53 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"
 
Default kde-redhat

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 17:43 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan <poc <at> usb.ve> writes:
> > I realize this may be a difficult question to answer, but I'll ask it
> > anyway: if I use the kde-redhat repo, am I likely to have problems with
> > the "official" Fedora versions of KDE?
>
> The kde-redhat packages these days are just backports of Rawhide KDE packages
> to released distros. Rex Dieter is now one of the Fedora KDE maintainers. So
> the days where there were 2 completely separate sets of KDE packages are long
> past.

Meaning it would only make sense for updates-unstable?

poc

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-22-2008, 05:55 PM
kwhiskerz
 
Default kde-redhat

I have enabled kde-unstable and kde-unstable-all. This allows me to use kde4.0.83, a terrific improvement over kde4.0.5.

There are bugs, so be forewarned: kde-redhat is presently providing beta releases (kde4.0.5 can at best be considered an alpha). And, yes, there are some conflicts. I found that I had to uninstall kipi-plugins, digikam, libkipi and libkdcraw. I prefer digikam to gwenview and the kipi-plugins are nicer to use than ImageMagick, but I will likely only have to put up with this minor inconvenience until the end of July, when kde4.1 is officially released.

This will get your system upgraded:
sudo yum --enablerepo=kde-unstable --enablerepo=kde-unstable-all update

Once kde has arrived at a more robust and stout level of maturity, I will likely discontinue use of kde-redhat. I cannot predict how rocky the road back to the official fedora repositories will be, but I expect that it will be a very smooth one, as the version numbering and kde-sig should take care of that very competently.
--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 06-22-2008, 06:02 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"
 
Default kde-redhat

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 11:55 -0600, kwhiskerz wrote:
> I have enabled kde-unstable and kde-unstable-all. This allows me to
> use kde4.0.83, a terrific improvement over kde4.0.5.
>
>
> There are bugs, so be forewarned: kde-redhat is presently providing
> beta releases (kde4.0.5 can at best be considered an alpha). And, yes,
> there are some conflicts. I found that I had to uninstall
> kipi-plugins, digikam, libkipi and libkdcraw. I prefer digikam to
> gwenview and the kipi-plugins are nicer to use than ImageMagick, but I
> will likely only have to put up with this minor inconvenience until
> the end of July, when kde4.1 is officially released.
>
>
> This will get your system upgraded:
> sudo yum --enablerepo=kde-unstable --enablerepo=kde-unstable-all
> update
>
>
> Once kde has arrived at a more robust and stout level of maturity, I
> will likely discontinue use of kde-redhat. I cannot predict how rocky
> the road back to the official fedora repositories will be, but I
> expect that it will be a very smooth one, as the version numbering and
> kde-sig should take care of that very competently.

OK thanks. That's pretty much what I wanted to know.

poc

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list

Sun Jun 22 21:30:01 2008
Return-path: <ubuntu-users-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com>
Envelope-to: tom@linux-archive.org
Delivery-date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 21:03:10 +0300
Received: from chlorine.canonical.com ([91.189.94.204])
by s2.java-tips.org with esmtp (Exim 4.68)
(envelope-from <ubuntu-users-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com>)
id 1KATuA-0002gF-Mm
for tom@linux-archive.org; Sun, 22 Jun 2008 21:03:10 +0300
Received: from localhost ([127.0.0.1] helo=chlorine.canonical.com)
by chlorine.canonical.com with esmtp (Exim 4.60)
(envelope-from <ubuntu-users-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com>)
id 1KATsa-0003b0-0j; Sun, 22 Jun 2008 19:01:32 +0100
Received: from infogerance.us ([213.251.184.201] helo=www.infogerance.us)
by chlorine.canonical.com with esmtp (Exim 4.60)
(envelope-from <mihamina.rakotomandimby@etu.univ-orleans.fr>)
id 1KATsY-0003ah-2h
for ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com; Sun, 22 Jun 2008 19:01:30 +0100
Received: from cgprs.orangenet.mg ([80.12.72.20] helo=[10.122.1.245])
by www.infogerance.us with esmtpa (Exim 4.67)
(envelope-from <mihamina.rakotomandimby@etu.univ-orleans.fr>)
id 1KAT6n-0001ud-83
for ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com; Sun, 22 Jun 2008 19:12:10 +0200
Message-ID: <485E9305.9070509@etu.univ-orleans.fr>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 20:59:33 +0300
From: "Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)"
<mihamina.rakotomandimby@etu.univ-orleans.fr>
Organization: ASPO
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.14 (X11/20080505)
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: "Ubuntu user technical support,
not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: ATI graphics support?
X-BeenThere: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.8
Precedence: list
Reply-To: "Ubuntu user technical support,
not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
List-Id: "Ubuntu user technical support,
not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users.lists.ubuntu.com>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users>,
<mailto:ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users>
List-Post: <mailto:ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
List-Help: <mailto:ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users>,
<mailto:ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com?subject=subscribe>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Sender: ubuntu-users-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com
Errors-To: ubuntu-users-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com

Hi,
I heard some time ago that ATI would free their drivers.
How is it going on?
How is the current ATI support in Xorg?
Is it now better to choose an ATI device over an nVidia one if running
ubuntu 8.04 and the future releases?
Thanks for your advices.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 06-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Kevin Kofler
 
Default kde-redhat

kwhiskerz <kwhiskerz <at> gmail.com> writes:
> And, yes, there are some conflicts. I found that I had to uninstall
> kipi-plugins, digikam, libkipi and libkdcraw.

That's https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=452392

Kevin Kofler

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:32 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org