Old 06-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Daniel Kirsten

Default FC 9 Installation Input/output error, dmesg output

Hallo,

I have put an output of dmesg under
http://www.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~kirsten/pics/dmesg-output

It seems to be DVD read error. Should I try to install from
another source?

The DVD passed the media check, Vista can read the same DVD
in the same drive, and I verified the SHA1SUM of the .iso-file.

Can I give some kernel-option in the beginning of the installation
to choose a more reliable method to read from DVD?

Best regards, Daniel

Old 06-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Alan Cox

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 17:07:30 +0200
Daniel Kirsten <Daniel.Kirsten@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> I have put an output of dmesg under
> http://www.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~kirsten/pics/dmesg-output
>
> It seems to be DVD read error. Should I try to install from
> another source?
>
> The DVD passed the media check, Vista can read the same DVD
> in the same drive, and I verified the SHA1SUM of the .iso-file.
>
> Can I give some kernel-option in the beginning of the installation
> to choose a more reliable method to read from DVD?

This is odd

sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] 390721968 512-byte hardware sectors (200050 MB)

Your disk reports one size

sda: rw=0, want=532056072, limit=390721968
Buffer I/O error on device sda3, logical block 0

but your partition table thinks the disk is an entirely different size

sr 8:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK
driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE,SUGGEST_OK sr 8:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : Hardware
Error [current] sr 8:0:0:0: [sr0] Add. Sense: Logical unit communication
failure

And that is your CD drive reporting itself as erroring

You could try booting with libata.dma=1 as a boot option but that
shouldn't make any difference (obviously if it does file a bug)

Old 06-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Daniel Kirsten

> sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] 390721968 512-byte hardware sectors (200050 MB)
>
> Your disk reports one size
>
> sda: rw=0, want=532056072, limit=390721968
> Buffer I/O error on device sda3, logical block 0
>
> but your partition table thinks the disk is an entirely different size

I striped two 200GB HDD to a 400GB HDD (hardware RAID).
The partition table claims that there is a 400GB HDD, but LINUX assumes
two separate 200GB HDD's

I replaced the first HDD by a different HDD, turned RAID off and booted
without libata.dma=1, and the problem occured again.

Then, I booted using libata.dma=1, and the problem disappeared!!!

A thousand thanks to Alan Cox!!!!

If some developer is interested, then I can provide more information and
make some more experiments.

Best regards, Daniel

Mon Jun 23 00:30:01 2008