Old 06-22-2008, 01:20 PM

Default linux - scientific

anyone using scientificlinux and comments about experience? (other than it
is 'enterprise')

--

tc,hago.

.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:29 PM
"joachim.backes@rhrk.uni-kl.de"

g wrote:

anyone using scientificlinux and comments about experience? (other than it
is 'enterprise')

Hi, not scientificlinux, but Rocksclusters, a cluster linux (its a
derivate from CentOS).

--
JB <joachim.backes@rhrk.uni-kl.de>

Old 06-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Michael Hannon

We use Scientific Linux a lot at work. It's a recompiled RHEL, similar to CentOS. We use it mostly for servers and have been happy with it. It has very good community support via their mailing lists, and the people that build it (at Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory and CERN) are very responsive.

Note that Scientific Linux, as with other "enterprise" distributions, typically does NOT include bleeding-edge applications. It places where we need those, we use Fedora. The trade-off here is that a given version of Scientific Linux will typically be supported for three years or more, while Fedora needs to be updated about once a year.

Another thing to note is that Scientific Linux does not meet the same purity-of-essence standard as Fedora: the distribution contains software that is free and useful but not GPL'ed. The University of Washington pine email client used to be the canonical example of this. I guess that "alpine" has now made that particular package moot, but the principle still applies.

-- Mike

Old 06-22-2008, 07:10 PM
"Francesco Principe"

I use scientificlinux also.
Is a good distribution.

F.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:11 AM

Michael Hannon wrote:

We use Scientific Linux a lot at work. It's a recompiled RHEL, similar
to CentOS. We use it mostly for servers and have been happy with it.

other than servers, how do you use scientific linux?

currently, my desire is to use scientific linux for a workstation.
i need a good system that is stable for control system design.

It has very good community support via their mailing lists, and the

this is what i would expect from a '.gov' and i am looking forward to see
how well they follow thru with 'government attitude'. [positive type]

Note that Scientific Linux, as with other "enterprise" distributions,

other than a good stable system, my only other _need_ of 'package software'
is in using gnucash. audio and video are just more 'icing on cake' for me.

Scientific Linux will typically be supported for three years or more,
while Fedora needs to be updated about once a year.

3 year support is great and advantageous, but i really do not mind doing an
upgrade more often. after all, most long term support is almost an upgrade.

Another thing to note is that Scientific Linux does not meet the same
purity-of-essence standard as Fedora: the distribution contains software
that is free and useful but not GPL'ed.

'poe' is more icing, but not a necessity. i scanned a bunch of pages on site
but did not look into what extra software they supply. a lot of what i will
be using is used in 'fedora electronic lab'. what is available thru scientific
linux will be more icing.

thanks for you reply.

later.

--

tc,hago.

.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:11 AM

Francesco Principe wrote:

I use scientificlinux also.
Is a good distribution.

for scientific work or because it is 'enterprise' and stable?

--

tc,hago.

.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:11 PM
Mike Chambers

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 07:11 +0000, g wrote:

> 'poe' is more icing, but not a necessity. i scanned a bunch of pages on site
> but did not look into what extra software they supply. a lot of what i will
> be using is used in 'fedora electronic lab'. what is available thru scientific
> linux will be more icing.

https://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/

On the right side of the page under the Release Notes section, click on
the notes for the version you are looking at. As you scroll through,
they list packages that were added and such and should give you idea of
extras packages.

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302@fedoraproject.org

Old 06-23-2008, 06:13 PM
"Nifty Hat Mitch"

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 00:11:52 -0700, g <geleem@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Francesco Principe wrote:
>> I use scientificlinux also.
>> Is a good distribution.
>
> for scientific work or because it is 'enterprise' and stable?

Scientific Linux is Redhat Enterprise Linux repackaged with modest
additions they see as valuable to their projects. Scan their web
pages to see the difference. The interesting additions
mostly involve scientific computational libraries and also some
filesystem stuff that makes sense for a global networked project
like Cern....

Closer to Redhat Enterprise Linux is CentOS. When comparing the two it
is hard to find differences beyond the likes of "up2date", copyright icons
and logos. Sadly many users of CentOS do not understand the degree to
which they are getting a free ride on RH's work.

If you are developing a product for internal use or sale to the world,
work and test with RHEL (redhat) directly where you can. This gives
you a 'tested' environment to recommend for your customers. Since RHEL
is not 'free' you may find that budgets limit RHEL to only a percentage
of your site.

If your project has a long development time frame then Fedora
may give you a better view of the future. For example new compiler
releases (GCC) will show up on Fedora first.

--
Nifty Hat Mitch
T o m M i t c h e l l

Old 06-23-2008, 08:49 PM

Mike Chambers wrote:

https://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/

On the right side of the page under the Release Notes section, click on

thank you for reply.

i did check this page, but did not check links.

i will be logging site later today and check further.

--

tc,hago.

.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:49 PM

Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
<snip>

Closer to Redhat Enterprise Linux is CentOS.

my concern is primarily a stable system. redhat is a preference.

If you are developing a product for internal use or sale to the world,
work and test with RHEL (redhat) directly where you can.

quite a few of my clients are using rhel where they can. due to how some
have set up from start with commercial and private software running under
oos, it is not possible to get full change over.

as for use in what i do, most of it is closed systems and output display
is with generic linux. that is, primarily what is used is port i/o. not
a bunch of libs to support games, hi res graphics, office progs and such.
in a word, 'embedded'.

thanks for your reply.

--

tc,hago.