Old 06-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Martin Jürgens

Default special ftp server configuration

Hi,

i'm searching a ftp server which i can configure to do this:

user a: write access to ftpdir and ftpdir/income
user b: read access to ftpdir, write access to ftpdir/income

I'd be glad if someone could give me a hint on how to realize it a slick
way. I know some windows servers like filezilla with which realizing
such situations is no problem, but I sadly do not have an idea on how to
do this with linux, although I am neither a google- nor a a
configuration-file hater

Thanks for your help,

Martin

Old 06-22-2008, 11:56 AM
Tim

Martin Jrgens:
> I know some windows servers like filezilla with which realizing
> such situations is no problem, but I sadly do not have an idea on how
> to do this with linux

Filezilla's not just for Windows, but it's a client not a server. Were
you thinking of something else?

FileZilla - The free FTP solution http://filezilla-project.org/
Open Source (GNU/GPL) FTP client for Windows, Mac OS X and GNU/Linux.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Martin Jrgens

Hi,

> > I know some windows servers like filezilla with which realizing
> > such situations is no problem, but I sadly do not have an idea on how
> > to do this with linux
>
> Filezilla's not just for Windows, but it's a client not a server. Were
> you thinking of something else?

They also develop a FileZilla FTP-Server which is Windows-Only: http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=server, which offers the options I'd like to have.

Martin

Old 06-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Mike Chambers

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 13:29 +0200, Martin Jürgens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm searching a ftp server which i can configure to do this:
>
> user a: write access to ftpdir and ftpdir/income
> user b: read access to ftpdir, write access to ftpdir/income
>
> I'd be glad if someone could give me a hint on how to realize it a slick
> way. I know some windows servers like filezilla with which realizing
> such situations is no problem, but I sadly do not have an idea on how to
> do this with linux, although I am neither a google- nor a a
> configuration-file hater

Can't you just create groups per access for each dir and list the users
in those groups?

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302@fedoraproject.org

Old 06-22-2008, 03:14 PM
stan

Martin Jrgens wrote:

Hi,

i'm searching a ftp server which i can configure to do this:

user a: write access to ftpdir and ftpdir/income
user b: read access to ftpdir, write access to ftpdir/income

I'd be glad if someone could give me a hint on how to realize it a slick
way. I know some windows servers like filezilla with which realizing
such situations is no problem, but I sadly do not have an idea on how to
do this with linux, although I am neither a google- nor a a
configuration-file hater

Thanks for your help,

Martin

I haven't done it, but you should be able to do this on a binary split
basis with vsftpd. Do man vsftpd.conf and look at the ftp_user and
guest_user descriptions. You can give them different abilities, so the
people you want to have restricted write ability become anonymous
ftp_users (still with password), and the people you want to have full
write ability become guest users. It doesn't appear to support per user
permissions, though there is something in the man about allowing people
who have permissions on a directory to alter it. Maybe you can create
users for your function, give them the permissions you want, and have
your user a and b login with the created roles. You'd have to play
around, I haven't.